BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness Advice

How do you determine your billing rates?2311

Member Lenderman33 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

Does anybody have any preferred model for billing clients when you manage their Content?

For example, if you are building somebody's website and FB/Twitter following, what do you charge for your services, and what are your costs when you sub-contract writers to produce the content?

Thanks!

Erik
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33 I think there are many factors to consider - the clients' budget, the time line to deliver the project, and the client's end goals.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33

I find this kind of question very person in nature and the answers proprietary ... and the answers very hard earned.

Why not offer to pay someone to learn?

Unless someone wants to tell you what they would or could do.

Will Rogers - "It's not what you can ask, it's what you can get."
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Set an hourly rate @Lenderman33 and time allowances for particular tasks. You bill for at least 1 hour- no matter, even if it takes you 5 minutes to accomplish. You determine your rate... most GOOD US based copy writers I know charge around $20-25/hr.

If you don't have a long-term contract you charge them a flat convenience fee (a % on top of the hourly dependent upon project scope and duration... essentially for your inconvenience). You can set a standard contract rate for a set contract or a higher negotiable retainer rate for those who want to keep you on but don't want a set contract.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew - Excellent suggestion! : )

Erik
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Hi @Lunar_Ranger,

Thank you for sharing! Do you operate your own Digital Marketing Agency / Consulting firm?

Erik
Post 6 • IP   flag post
I share these numbers with clients but only with the understanding that they are not further shared.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I don't need any copywriters or web designers right now Erik.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
My suggested way is probably the way it should be done. However, I usually charge per project, and I only take on projects only if I can do it independently, if I can't I recommend someone- I never sub it out and tell them that "I took care of it".
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Hi @Lunar_Ranger - To clarify: I did not ask whether you need copywriters or web-designers

What do you do?

Erik
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I am a digital marketing composite. A big hearted guy who is terrible at running/managing a business but good at feeding one with my talent for technical and marketing/sales operations. So I am good at making other people money.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

How abt making me some money?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

By the way, looks like i might be in Miami in June. If so, then Altamonte around the same time.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
For you, you can have my talents and time- and maybe I can learn even more useful stuff from you.

It's going to be awesome to have you here. Let me know what I can do to make Florida operations run smoothly.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33

When I first started out, and had similar questions, I found a couple of good books. One I still have around was called Consulting To Management. I couldn't find it online to refer you to. It is probably out of print -- and it certainly wouldn't be current. There are plenty of current ones to look to. Here are just a couple that caught my eye:

https://www.amazon.com/Management-Consulting-Complete-Guide-Industry-ebook/dp/B000UK3GZG

https://www.amazon.com/Consulting-Bible-Everything-Seven-Figure-Practice-ebook/dp/B004PYDRLQ

That first one is a little pricey but, when it comes to quality knowledge, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

When it comes to pricing your own services, there are limits to what you should discuss with your contemporaries and potential competitors. There are some significant federal laws in that regard. Besides, while general discussion is a great way to get ideas and motivation, it is a poor substitute for effective training.

Once again, when I was starting out, I sought all the available training and instruction I could find. This was pre-Internet and access was limited and difficult. You are sitting on a gold mine here. Which, perhaps, suggests another book you might read:

https://www.amazon.com/Acres-Diamonds-Russell-H-Conwell-ebook/dp/B004UJMBGI

I know you can afford that one!

If you are serious about your success, commit $20 a month and get into Bill's classroom section of this forum. Dare I say there are already some excellent instructors there, and more coming. You want to be a part of this.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
And those instructors have gone well beyond book learning and tested the market.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Hi @Rev,

Thank you for your detailed response! : ) I am most certainly looking at the Teacher's Forum!

Erik
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Lenderman33

In the last 20 years that I have been a consultant, I have tried to do value based pricing, not cost based pricing.

I also try to appear to price my services at the bottom of the upper quartile of my competition.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jonnner
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnner
at the bottom of the upper quartile

Well positioned! Nice.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Hi @Jonner,

Thank you! What are you up to these days? Do you have a website?

Erik
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Hi @Rev

Thanks for the kind words.

Best Regards,
Jonnner
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Hi @Lenderman33

I am rebuilding to upgrade my site. I am also changing the page format and colors. At the same time I am discontinuing my use of Headway software. I am just starting my rebuild using Beaver Builder software.

Best Regards,
John
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
First, determine what you need.
Second, determine what you have to offer.
Third, determine the time that you can invest.
Fourth, look at the marketplace and see where you fit in.
Finally, determine what you will accept and ask for 50% more to start - this will leave you with some room for negotiation.

It is a personal journey - and each person will have to consider what is comfortable and acceptable. I do recommend being a bit flexible when possible - especially if you can repurpose the work in some way (for yourself or future clients).
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

You touch on a very important element... repurposing (and simply reusing). If you can recover all of the cost (and some profit) out of the first sale, the rest is just bonus. If not, then you need to sell/resell enough times to do so. Keep these concepts in mind when constructing your plan.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Member numoquest private msg quote post Address this user
Here in Holland we are quite keen to learn customers to be more aware how to trim costs and how at best to avoid expeces. It's not that Dutch are cheap, commerce is in their vanes.

There are basically two scenarios.

Pay per handling
Suggest the customer that for every formal handling a fee is charged. Also be clear that asking for specific business related questions also is considered a handling.

Pay to learn
As Belew suggested to be sure your customer isn't taking to much of your time for nothing, you can offer seminars and classes.

For your idea:
I set up classes for worlds IT vs non IT where I teach the paying side, non IT, how to reduce immediate costs in projects by avoiding commercial pitfalls. -> Commerce hate me I know <-

Second I can promise my customers with that same class or seminar a pay decrease of at least 15% on their operational IT. Basically I am the only one, to my knowledge doing just that and keep a low profile for it works.

In your position I'd try to consider pay per handling and issue a rebate card, or something like that, with a reduction if they use that system. Award your customers always with something like your own certificate for being a preferred customer, or something like that. People love stuff like that.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@numoquest

I like the idea of rewarding customers. That's something I hadn't considered. If my students achieve a certain mastery I might reward them with ...

Good idea.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Belew I see the predicament of many in that field in terms of how to differentiate yourself above 'so many'. I have the luxury to be an exclusive in my areas of expertise in IT vs Non IT as well as personal Assessments.

Thanks for your remark.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@numoquest

Another problem of being one of many is that are so many shysters in the space also.

Envious of you and your one of a kind position.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Belew Welllllll

I may say that I am 'Luckily' unique in both fields. 95% of IT pro's have no concept of how IT as matter behaves, let alone they could explain that in lame terms to their customers, and 99.9% of those pro's working in IT. Yet both try to get the big buck.

On the opposite their customers 100% oblivious of how IT works as matter and totally unaware of ancient Universal Principles where IT as matter is subdued to. That is what I explain to them and they start their corporate savings immediate with at least 15%

The other field is that I am one of the very few that can assess real natural Talent without any aid or interference of the person of interest (Talent) So here again I have an edge and exclusivity.

I have a very luxurious position.

I intent to let shysters play their role, and encourage them to play even.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
29378 29 29
destitute