BillBelew.com
InfographicsInspirationMotivation

Surprising Book and Reading Facts1000

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
For those content marketers among us who think text is where it's at (Me! Me! Me!), instead of video or audio ... consider this infographic.

Surprising?
Disappointing?
Disheartening?
Discouraging?
Or an opportunity?

What if someone were to create a product - Teach People Out of School to Love to Read?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
If you are in business, and especially anything related to marketing (what isn't, or shouldn't be?) and you are not reading one good topical, biographical, or motivational book each month, you are missing opportunities, losing ground, and likely harming your business.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Agreed...except it would depend on the size of the book.

I used to run from books with no pics and too heavy to pick up.

Now, for some reason I gravitate to books that take me weeks if not months to read. The Churchill series took me a year (3000 pages). And I had to stop and read something else from time to time just because I got tired of 'hanging out' with Winston.

What's on your desk right now? or your Kindle?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew, "Teach People Out of School to Love to Read?" Would be difficult, though not impossible.

In the early 1800's the Prussian emperor learned that if he wanted his soldiers to fight without running away, he had to teach them obedience to the Emporer as children.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

But there is a market there, no?

If you can get them to read your copy!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

"Book" is one of those nebulous terms. How many pages makes it a book? eBooks have weighed in on that concept, too. When I suggest a book a month (minimum!) I am referring to something in the 140 to 240 page range -- give or take. It's not rocket science, thought the book might be about that subject. ;o)

I have five soft cover books (6x9" trade paperback style) on my desk waiting to be read right now. The largest is a 346 pager by Glenn Ashton titled Small Steps to Bigger Book Sales -- I'm hoping he is referring to bigger book sales (numerically) and not sales of books with more pages!

And (let me check...) I currently have 3053 items waiting to be read on my Kindle. These are mostly small ebooks (one- or two-hour reads or so) but a couple hundred at least are full length novels, biographies, political treatises, business/management/marketing guides, etc.

I will never likely get through them all, and their numbers increase weekly, but as most are free at the time of acquiring them, and of likely interest, I grab 'em, store 'em, and read those I can when I can.

Like gunpowder and house dust, digital pixels keep well in storage, as long as you keep them dry.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Not all high school graduates go to college. Is that important? To whom?

"Reading Don't Fix No Chevys": Literacy in the Lives of Young Men
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev You are right. I still love reading books.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

True, but a mechanic who can actually read the Automotive Engines service book is probably more desirable than most who cannot. Occasionally you will find that straw-grass-sucking, shop-in-a-barn, redneck hick with no schooling but a knack for all things mechanical. If you do, pay them even when you don't need them so they are there where you do. Otherwise, I'll tend to take the guy who can actually read... and does!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
My brother was a terrific mechanic. He could take mental pictures of things and wood shop or medal shop them into existence.

He was a lousy student.

But whenever his hands were not greasy he had his nose in a manual of some sort to learn how to do something.

But perhaps had he read other stuff he would not have died at 42 drunk on a his motorcycle in a fight with a tree.

Much can be learned from reading that is NOT work related but is life related.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
We were warned but we didn't listen.

New inventions are Morally hazardous.

Dang it. Don't you hate it when your parents were right?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Am I the only one who has a hard time putting down a BAD book?

I just finished books that took me much longer than I wanted to take.

I finished them only because i started them...not because they were any good.

Why can't I give up on a bad book?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

The act of reading, whatever the material, good or bad, serves a positive purpose. On it's own, doing nothing but reading "bad" books, might not be the best idea, but mixed with the numerous other expeditions your curiosity drives you to, such an activity provides, among other things, mental exercise and, perhaps, the ability to identify bad books.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Probably in our life times, developers will create development platforms that converge audio with visual. You buy a "book," and the book will read itself to you, while you follow along with the interactive elements -- pictures, graphics, video.

An entirely new form of 'book' is coming ... watch for it, plan for it, be on its bleeding edge.

DonO

Want a hint? iBooks Author is state-of-the-art for the walled garden; CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing (kdp) will likely morph into something multi-media-ish.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
How about you @dono2081 ? Do you have a book to include in the new media?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
oh yeah.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

Do I need to keep asking or are you going to tell?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
i have no idea what you are trying to get at.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

My Kindle reads to me, though I prefer to do it myself.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
I have taken to reading books on my cell phone.

My Galaxy 2 has a big enough screen and it's always with me.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
When people want to learn, they will figure out a way. Check out Dr. Mitra's Hole-in-the-wall project where he showed kids (people) will learn when the desire is there.

Anyone who has the desire to learn will figure out a way to make it happen, book, newspaper, video, ojt, etc. Each of us here are doing just that.

Post 21 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@belew I wish my phone can read to me because I see computer then phone tires my eyes.
@morrnel You are right.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
28696 22 22
destitute