BillBelew.com
Content Marketing

Content Marketing Lessons frm Our Government1002

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
In spite of how folks typically complain about our government and many rightly so, there's a lot that our forefathers did get right..

Replying to a thread on Medium, it dawned on me that what makes our democracy were two key things: 1) checks & balances that prevented any individual or group from seizing power
2) the first Open Source government - allowing for change to happen and having a system that adapts to these changes

my thoughts about our government on Medium

What about you?
What are key lessons or take away's from what our government has done right that you can apply to your own business or work?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

I am not following your question - What lessons can you take away from your own business or work?

Lessons learned to do what?

This is a loaded question. I have learned a LOT. But where I apply what I learned to do what is different in all sorts of ways.

Are you looking for lessons learned from the government that I can apply to my work? Not sure what you are asking. Sorry.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Belew - thought it was clear but tried rephrasing it.. basically, what can you learn from what IS done right by our government?

This isn't meant to be a political or philosophical question. It's simply reframing government as some mindless machine and looking at it as a system that works in spite of its flaws.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is likely the foundation of what inspired the internet.

If we can have freedom of speech and expression, why shouldn't the world be allowed to have the same?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew - so maybe giving others freedom of expression is a key lesson for content marketing.

Maybe when we allow others the room and space to express themselves, this inspires other thoughts and ideas..?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I wasn't making the connection to content marketing.

I was saying that freedom of speech led to the internet or at least was very instrumental.

And the internet has opened up a huge can of worms = content marketers and all sorts of shenanigans.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew - of course.. again, I'm trying to keep this from being a political discussion..

It's meant to be ideally practical takeaways for your business based on what does work in our government - i.e. what our forefathers did get right..
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Hmm...

I learned to avoid bureaucracy at all costs. Does that count?

I guess I am stuck on the Freedom of Speech thing.

Content marketers have a huge opportunity... especially here in the US in that we are not limited to how we might express ourselves.

Of course, some are inclined to push this envelope ... and even, imho, overstep the bounds of what is acceptable by violating others rights to NOT see/hear/experience.

Still off the mark?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew - hmm.. again, this was meant to be a discussion about taking a look at what does work & applying it to our business / ideally content marketing..

We already talked about how freedom of expression helps us to inspire things like user created content (UGC)..

..maybe another example is our system of checks and balances? We use this in content marketing by having moderators and forums like this.

This allows the free flow of communication and ideas without letting spammers take over. It improves quality overall.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I am trying here ...but coming up blank.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Compare the U. S. representative democracy with Switzerland's direct democracy. While the U.S. now celebrates 239 years as a republic, the Swiss celebrate 724 as a democracy.

Government works when everyone understands and agrees what the least common denominator is.

Government works when everyone is treated equal and we agree what equal is.

Government works when everyone participates.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
So maybe the lesson there is that content marketing works best when you get engagement and folks involved?

Kinda like the discussion about UGC (user generated content)?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29156 12 12
destitute