BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer AdviceConferencesContent MarketingHumor

Do You Remember Your 1st Stage Appearance?1021

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am going to a party with my wife and daughter later today.

My Made-in-China wife and her Chinese friends are celebrating something ...no doubt it has something to do with the moon. 8-)

Part of the festivities is volunteers taking turns to sing, dance, juggle, blog ... okay, not blog.

My 7-year old, Mia, will make her singing debut today. Mom is quite excited. Dad will carry a club and bonk anyone who doesn't cheer enthusiastically when she is done.

Meanwhile, today I am putting together my presentation for an upcoming speaking gig for a rather large and influential audience in San Francisco. The World Education Conference - a gathering of the the world's largest group (2500+) of event organizers!

In another window I am writing a description for a webinar I will this Saturday on how to get on stage before YOUR audience.

Speaking on stage before a group of people who have opted to be there to hear you is probably the best way to influence decisions. A terrific content marketing strategy!

All this caused me to be a bit nostalgic - trying to remember the 1st time I appeared on stage ... solo.

I did a reading as part of my 8th grade confirmation. I can still remember one of the comments that has stuck with me literally a half-century later. That encouragement probably played a great impact on why I still take the stage today. (I don't remember who said it, nor the exact words).

How about you?

When was the first time you took to the stage?

Not yet? Then when will be your first time?

How can I help get you on stage?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I first went to university in 1971 -- when the real 60s began -- to study drama, film, and directing. Our first production ran the following spring.

What the local newspaper, the St. Catharines Standard, had to say:

"Hey, Look Me Over!

"Mike Lloyd as Henry Serendipity Jr., a student in search of his own identity, finds the going fairly obvious in a scene called At Home with Mother Lust, in the play Trips, being given by first-year drama students a Brock University.

"His pal Stephen Henry backs him up as they survey Pam Warr, Ingrid Buffi and Barb Davies in a scene from Chris Johnson's play which opens tomorrow at 8:30 p.m. for three performances."

Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member wilson private msg quote post Address this user
i am sorry i am not understanding
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Rev

How cool that you still have this?

Can we see the play on YouTube? 8-)

I started university in 72.

But then you probably went as a child prodigy of some sort...at 15.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@wilson

talking about getting on the physical stage in front of a live audience.

Have you done this?

Oh, and welcome from Brazil! Will you be near the 2016 Olympics?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
yes, i will

thanks for accepting me as a partnership

yes, i will be near the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de janeiro but i do not think i can travel to see all games

i am a lawyer, as a lawyer i think sometimes i feel shy when i am in front of judge and my client.customer

sometimes i feel how difficult is you looks nice, well dressed, speaking well and know laws........but i have this experience of course
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@wilson

Surely you will become better at it.

nothing is better than experience.

What kind of law is your specialty?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
i was a criminal attorney but brazilian law has changed ( iam sorry my english) and i am resting a bit now

i do not want work too much and i am now working with family, i don ´t know how can i say in english

i work with family cases it´s not so complicated as criminal cases and i decided open two hostels in brazil

i am small enterpreuner also here lol

but i love my profession. it is very interesting see REV describing his first appearence stage in drama because as a lawyer we need to have a performance i mean you need show a drama

But exactly i can not remenber my first stage appearence but it´s near 2003 when i was beggining
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@wilson

A lawyer working with family matters! How great!

Families face so many challenges. They need advocates like you!

Thank you for what you do!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member devertsz private msg quote post Address this user
Please keep up the good work that you do. I enjoy reading your post and past links for information.

The College Money Pro
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings @Wilson. Your English is good. It's my Portuguese that is lousy.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@morrnel @wilson

His English is not that hot either. 8-)
Post 12 • IP   flag post
thank you don´t worry about
Portuguese is a difficult language

jajajajajaj .....you are wellcome
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev, which university? In the upper Midwest, everything happened a decade or two later.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@morrnel @Rev

Mark Twain said he'd like to be in Cincinnati when the world ends. It's likely to happen 2 weeks later.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Obviously, he had never been to North Dakota.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Don't know if I remember the 1st time - except maybe some school plays in grade school.

But I remember several presentations in 6th grade - it made an impact on me. I loved sharing my 'expertise' on everything from whales to Italy..

Then in high school I gave a talk about fighting ships in the age of sail and the feeling of mesmerizing the audience.. it struck me that other students actually asked me questions.

The funniest part was everyone else bringing these big, elaborate dioramas - and all I had was a handful of wooden ships made out of toothpicks. (wish I had taken a photo)

For my senior undergrad project a buddy and I got a video made for our "mission to Mars" - (everyone else had transparencies for the overhead projector; I still remember the looks we got rolling in a television and VCR) - there was stunned silence afterwards. I heard that the professor would play that at the beginning of each semester after us.. (poor bastards.. lol)

A short while ago I got my first speaking role - making me eligible for my SAG (Screen Actors Guild) card

No, I don't play fair when I'm "performing.." When I go in, I go in with guns blazing!

Post 17 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Just the kind of story I expected from you.

Great inspiration for those who haven't been bitten by the speech or performance bug.

thanks for sharing.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Thanks, @Belew - I wish I could say that I knew where all this is headed.

But that's why I talk about the Alchemist being a book for those of us still finding our way..

Just trusting my instruments as I fly thru this goo.. (hmm.. feeling like another article coming up..)
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I always enjoy -- indeed look forward to -- the awesome moments you share! That we touch so many common points is nothing short of amazing.

In grade twelve we were assigned a final project to sum up the year and given complete freedom to choose the presentation method. We were to work in pairs. My buddy and I elected to present a documentary. Filmed entirely in Super-8, and edited with scissors and a $2 alignment/splicing tool and a little glue, we composed and performed the music for the background to the sound track. We did our own voice-over, special effects, had an opening logo and closing credits sequence, and even a section in split screen, where the narration said, "...and a side-by-side comparison..." There was no smoke, but the split screen really was done with an unframed mirror!

As for "going in" that is one place we differ. I prefer the quieter stealth mode, in and out and no one even knows I've been there! I'll bring back the intel you need for the main assault. ;o)
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Rev @jycmba

I did my career choice presentation for my senior year in high school on becoming a preacher.

I got asked all sorts of questions that I didn't know the answers to so I made the answers up = I lied.

Imagine lying about what it takes to get into preacher school and out.

When i was turned down by the Navy (the first time I applied) I opted on a whim to enroll in seminary! I did become a preacher. And most of the 'lies' I told in my presentation turned out to be right. I just didn't know that when I told them.

Isn't it a basic qualification of a speaker to be able to wing it when necessary?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Thanks @Rev - believe it or not, I still wouldn't say that we're that different.

For most of my life it's been a push - pull relation with the spotlight. This article about my involvement with being a tango organizer shares a little of what I struggle with..

Don't get me wrong - I love the creative process and watching the reaction to my "art".. but when all is said and done I'm quite happy tapping away on a keyboard on a rainy day or editing a video (haven't had a chance to cut actual film but a friend did show 8 mm's made just for our tango event) vs. being in a crowd and getting all the attention.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@jycmba @Rev

I'd say you guys are different.

One is much better looking than the other.

You two can decide which?
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You know how the girls are attracted to a man in uniform. Something I've never experienced. I am told, however, I have nice eyes. Kind. Always smiling. Whatever that means.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Belew - sure, stir the pot!

Regarding winging it, there's a reason why this is one of my top 3 TED talks on creativity

Here Elizabeth Gilbert talks about inspiration coming to us from a higher source -

That's why things like "writer's block" is us getting in our own way!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Hey, cool. It's not my fault!
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Rev Ole!
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I feel shy when I do the little play at the church during my end of teens.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
28670 28 28
destitute