BillBelew.com
Content MarketingLinkedInNetworking

What Can We Learn from Our LinkedIn Stalkers1034

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Thought this was an interesting article about looking at who's checking me out on LinkedIn - Analyzing Profile Views

Turns out 44% are folks from LA and 33% are checking me out because of my writing on Pulse. 38% are internet and 27% are consultants.

Now the question is what I can do with this information? The publisher of the article, of course, offers "5 steps to convert your profile views into hot leads" - should I click?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

I have wrestled with this a lot and still do NOT know the answer.

I don't know how to follow up with people who checked me out.

I haven't found anybody in all my reading who knows how either.

I wonder if @karenyank has any wisdom she could share.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
rwhitacre private msg quote post Address this user
This will be fun to watch for people's thoughts on this!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
From the LinkedIn blog ...

Make the Most of Who's Viewing Your LinkedIn Profile.

Nothing here to tell the viewed what to do in response to the viewer.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I love it when anonymous people check my profile... I can never guess if its me their checking out or consultant type biz devs checking my 1st degree contacts out. I even put it in my profile that I didn't want to connect with anyone trying to sell me something or get at my contacts.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

What is it you love about them checking you out?

Have you found an effective way to follow up?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I used to send a connection request tailored to those that checked my profile out. People checking your profile out have shown some interest in you or what you do ... so they make ideal connections.

Some people send connection requests, tailored to each person ... others send messages.

As I said at the start I used to do this, however it was taking up to much time, so I stopped... I tend to get 20-30 connection requests a day.

Here is one interesting one from today...

Hi Steve:
As an NSU Social Media Marketing Professor, I actively seek out thought leaders like you for MBA level research, insights, guest speaking and courseware support.

Please accept this invite to LinkedIn so we can get to know you better.

Thank you
name removed ...

It all comes down to how you want to make LinkedIn work for you ... you can go out and seek connections and do it that way, as many experts say ... or you can do it your own way, as I do ...

Guess I should add that not all profile views are real, there are bots out there going around visiting profiles with the hope that you will visit the person who viewed your profile ... the aim being to increase their profile views and ranking position.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Other than taking up too much time, were there any positives to sending out connection requests to people who checked you out?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
It's like networking... the more people you know and who know you the more potential referrals you will get ... this is exactly the same on LinkedIn and is also applicable to how their search results work.

The more connections you have the more you will show up in LinkedIn search results.

Simple answer ... yes.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I get it ... the more the more ... but have you found that there is a point of diminishing returns?

I remember trying to get as many friends as possible on Facebook for example ... then it got to the point where I didn't know anybody or care about what was going on in my feed.

Can't the same be said of LinkedIn?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I'm not publishing daily on LinkedIn due to returns, its simply not worth the effort... I do however promote my blog posts their and they still generate traffic for me.

This is how I am using LinkedIn.

1. I promote my daily blog post on LinkedIn, in the update section.

2. Once a week I post one long form article. (i may stop this)

3. I connect with most people that ask to connect with me.

4. Once or twice a week I will post a content marketing article to either the CMI or content marketing Australia LinkedIn group pages.

5. I post the occassion update, like a few posts and very occasionally comment on posts I find interesting or which I don't agree with.

6. I encourage my Twitter followers to connect with me on LinkedIn... my aim being to ask all followers of whatever platform to connect with me on as many platforms as I am on ... I want to touch them wherever I can.

7. Content Rules - the rest all comes down to content, it still works and draws people to you... be it on your blog or in long form posts.

Hope that gives you a few ideas...

I rarely send out connection requests, I don't use the search feature ... and I don't send messages very often ... I just do it my way.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I stopped publishing on LinkedIn when i realized that forever reason LI changed who would see my posts.

I realized yet again that building something on someone else's platform is not a good long term strategy.

As for the people who view my profile on LI...i never do anything.

It strikes me as weird. What would i say, "I noticed you were looking at me..."

Sounds very high school-ish.

IMHO... it seems that there is something to knowing who has checked you out...but there isn't.

Have you ever had success is making a friend just because someone looked at you? Not on LI but in a room, at a mtg or a networking event?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I connected with a reader of one of my articles. We're now scheduling to do an online chat that will become a lesson on my Udemy course Building a Business You Can Sell.

He demonstrates his expertise and possibly gets more business. My students get more value. I have both someone I can call on and refer, plus my course has more valuable content that I couldn't create on my own.

All from a LinkedIn connection..
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

LinkedIn connections are good.

But what about the LinkedIn profile viewers? How to reach out to them?

To reach or not reach out to them? That's the question.

Even LinkedIn doesn't know how to best use this function.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I also wonder. When I do the app work, programmers look for me. When I do DIY, strangely other people in DIY view my profile. When I do character design, another type of people.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I love stalkers. "Wanna buy a toothbrush?"
Post 16 • IP   flag post
karenyank private msg quote post Address this user
I think you can definitely use this, and reach out. You don't have to say "I see you were looking at me"! BUT, you know they were. So if you think there's business to be had, find another reason to reach out to them. They're a warm audience, right?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

Is this kind of like downloading a resource from XYZ siteand ssuddenly getting a phone call from that site?

Short of inmail, how might someone reach out?

I think you could visit the profile of someone who has visited you. If they have articles published you could read and comment.

another way is to mention them in an update in your own feed...when it makes sense of course.

Other ways?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
If it works, why knock it? So yes, it's like that I guess. But I like to think I'm coming at it from a more authentic place.

I can message people if we're in the same group.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

That's a good point I didn't consider. If someone from a group I am in visits... to reach out to them.

But then I am not involved in LI groups.

Have you found being involved in LI groups to be worthwhile?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
I have. Massively so. More from the standpoint of positioning myself as an expert. Ideally, I can respond to comments with "check out this blogpost I wrote on that topic a few months ago"

It definitely gets me more LinkedIn connections, and every LinkedIn connection is a potential lead, right?

Local groups are particularly interesting. So the only common denominator is geographic, but it's a great way to get my business in front of lots of local people who may not know about me otherwise.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Thanks for chiming in @karenyank - I've been trying to share the possibilities of LinkedIn groups.

Sometimes my biggest challenge is all the possibilities I see and communicating these in digestible chunks.

Really appreciate your help in doing that!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
As a LinkedIn group OWNER you can mail your group members once per week. So that's another great reason to play full out in LinkedIn groups.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Its great yo be able to "control" your own group and correspond to your group members en mass, on the other end of the spectrum... posting to Linkedin groups- especially one that has a large membership, can be a challenge, since you're competing with everyone for their attention and with everyone else posting their content, it can feel like a very crowded room where the din shuts every voice out.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Groups with 10K plus members, probably even 5K plus members, are not my goal. I like to be known in the groups I participate in.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

How about a thread on how to create, manage or best strategies for building a LinkedIn group?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Gonna put this on my "next week" list Bill, great idea!
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

Thanks! Anytime we can learn from someone who is there and doing that...i am all we eyes.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@karenyank

"...and every LinkedIn connection is a potential lead, right?"

This is quite right, however we should remember how we got these connections. What did we do, write, say, that lead these people to request a connection. There is often a tendency to forget that foundational approach and turn our focus entirelyy to the connections we have. They are, after all, better prospects, farther into our funnel; or so we may think.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
27488 29 29
destitute