BillBelew.com
Content CreationFeedbackSEO

How much of a page should be original?1042

morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I was thinking this morning while I was sitting in rush hour traffic. A bolt of lightning hit while I was thinking.

My site http://medicarefivestars.com displays Medicare plan information for a county based upon ZIP code. ZIP code data gets me to data for a particular county. This data does not change through the course of the year.

It simply makes sense to build pages for each county and state. Does two things for me. First, I will have about 3,500 more pages of content that does not change throughout the year. Secondly, the pages are served up faster.

The pages will have the same basic format. Only the list of Medicare plans change from county to county.

My question is: How unique by percent must each page be to keep Google happy? I expect about 45% unique.

Related question. Is anyone aware of a tool that will conver a dynamic web page into a unique one?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I DO NOT recommend this but it makes for interesting reading:

Swipe Your Way To Success

@Morrnel

If you are using stock material for your Medicare plan information (I expect you are) then you are not likely to rank for it even if you spin 60% of it. So don't waste your time. Google won't penalize you for that kind of support material. They just won't rank you.

Instead, spend the time building original, authoritative, topical primary pages that you will rank for and people will find you, and the stock data, by way of those.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel

80-85% should be original.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel - not sure if I agree 100% with @Belew (even though his paygrade is way above mine..)

Here's the #1 question you have to answer in my book as a visitor - why should I visit your page over others?

Even if 100% of your content is from everywhere else, I don't care if it saves me time, money (money is time) and effort..

In other words, even if all you're doing is making it available in one page, so I don't have to search here and there, that's good enough for me.

Maybe Google won't like that, but in the end I hope you're writing for me as the visitor..
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jycmba @morrnel

The philosophy behind algorithm development is rooted in academia.

As a practicing academic the standard for submitted work is not more than 10-15% copied. 20% copied is the very top limit to be acceptable.

Searchable will have a similar limit.

If you don't depend on search and people are coming no matter what...then it doesn't matter.

The balance between appealing to real ppl and search is 80% original.

There are many other reasons to be original that I will share at some point.

80% is my absolute lowest.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Am I doing any copy/paste? No.

I am writing original material. However, I start with a keyword phrase to work from.

There is certain material that requires content consistent to medicare.gov such as Medicare plan names and characteristics of the plans.

When i wish to use particular content from medicare.gov, i do rewrite it. I run the completed page through Copyscape.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

I am talking abt multiple versions of the same page. Think of it as product descriptions.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew, that is a very good correlation.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
From both audience and search point of view there is no need for the medicare data to be unique in any way, not even 1%. You aren't going to care how well that is indexed based on the content itself. There is just too much installed base.

If you want to make it unique in a way that will give you the edge in search FOR THOSE PAGES -- though personally I wouldn't sweat it -- then focus on page title, document title, meta description, section titles, and general formatting. Most people do such a bad job of that you will be able to shine with relative ease.

Spend the bulk of your time (besides just getting that data in place) developing introduction, support, landing, general information, tutorial, and other such pages. Additionally set up some FAQ, Q&A, and other informative blogging structures. Answer the questions that will be asked and link to the data as supportive, ancillary material.

It is all of these "front" pages you will rank for, and which will bring traffic to the site. The medicare data is just the smorgasbord they are coming for.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Are you building manual HTML documents for these 3500+ pages?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

For what it's worth, content on medicare.gov is public domain. You don't NEED to rewrite it.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev,
I am doing the prototypes manually, then generating the pages directly from the database to HTML. Generating the code for each page is the easy part.

What goes into the county page will be generated text, like product pages as @Belew described.

Stuffing the new pages into Wordpress will be the trick. Is there a plugin for that?

All my raw data comes from data sourced from the Medicare site data.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
24973 12 12
destitute