BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBloggingContent CreationMotivationProductivity

Quantity v Quality, Blogging Pace Sweet Spot1046

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I put up an article on LinkedIn a while back on the Quantity versus Quality Blogging Pace issue.

Hubspot put out there latest research on the issue of quality versus quality.

WARNING: This is NOT an easy nor a quick read. The, ahem, article is a WHOPPING 5,062 words long!

They sought out the answer to:

What's the sweet spot for blogging pace per week?

"HubSpot's Marketing Blog and determined that our sweet spot hovered around four posts a day."

"3-5 blog posts each week day and 1 blog post each weekend day, totaling about 20-25 posts in a given week."

I did a similar study in Feb-Apr of 2013 with an MBA class.

After publishing on average 3 times a day plus two anchor posts/week and 2 guests posts on related fellow students sites = 21-25 posts/week ... my students saw 3000-5000 unique organic visits/month the 4th-5th month out ... starting from zero!

What's your blogging pace?

In a previous thread you can see how long/how many posts are needed BEFORE seeing traction.

If you do the math ... 3x / day for four months = almost 400 articles = what my students did. What you can do.

What's your blogging pace?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
What is the length of the blog? Or doesn't it matter?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
That will depend on the purpose of the post.

The post should always be long enough to satisfy the query...but not longer.

5,000 words is overkill, I think.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

"After publishing on average 3 times a day plus two anchor posts/week and 2 guests posts on related fellow students sites = 21-25 posts/week ... my students saw 3000-5000 unique organic visits/month the 4th-5th month out ... starting from zero!"

Those are impressive numbers, but did you do any kind of control to suggest that these numbers couldn't be reached with, say, 8-10 posts per week or even 3-4 posts per week.

You suggest that 400 posts are needed over 4 to 5 months to reach this magical "tipping point" but I don't see that data proving that point.

My kid says she needs a Ferrari to drive to college (she lives about 30 miles from her school). I can't argue that a Ferrari will, yes, do the 30 miles each way daily and get her there. But that doesn't prove that she can't get there with a Honda.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
"You suggest that 400 posts are needed over 4 to 5 months to reach this magical "tipping point" but I don't see that data proving that point. "

I have the data to support this. Hubspot came to the same conclusion in the link provided above.

Several of the students rebelled to the point they did NOT want to publish that often and chose to do 3-4 posts / weekly and 8-10 posts /weekly with deeper = longer content.

The results were crystal clear.

Results for long posts at 1/day did not compare and never climbed out of the 4-5 month sandbox to the 3/4 times a day.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev,

Here is a link explaining some of my results. I published this at LinkedIn

Content Marketing Strategy: Long or Short-form Regular Posts?

Please take a look and let me know what you think.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

"Several of the students rebelled..."

Don't you think that information is relevant to the original claim. Data generated without control results is suspicious. How can anyone know you have the other side of the coin if you don't display it?

I'll have a look at your LI post. Thanks.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev

It's hard to say everything in every post.

The research is there. I have all of it gathered into one ebook as well. Included in the ebook are the comments left by readers pro and con and my response to them. ... if you really want to get down and dirty. 8-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Link?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I just crawled into bed. I don't have a link to it. It's on my lap top. I can send it off to you tomorrow if that's okay. And I don't forget.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Tomorrow is good. Thanks.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting, thanks for posting this @Belew
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@mcc

There is a lot to digest.

Are there any key takeaways that you have? Or still reading?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Still trying to digest it @Belew. It's a totally different strategy than taught in the course I've been taking. So much to consider.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@mcc About 90% of this article is stuff you can know... about 10% is stuff you should implement ... that will make the most difference.

I do the 10%.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew question if I can....

You ran the same course this year, did the results replicate those you are quoting ... ie, year on year are you getting the same results.

Curious as more and more people are content marketing so are the results the same, declining or increasing ...
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Same results...but with a smaller class.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Interesting, very ... So can I assume you blog is now smashing this also ... as you're posting multiple times daily and have been for a long time now?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Steve

That would be great if my blog were. But, much like the cobbler's kids' shoes.

I haven't published anything new on my site for some time. Recycling old stuff.

I maxed out at abut 1500 posts and have been stuck there for quite some time.

And frankly... I can't compete with the big guys, Hubspot, MarketingProf, CMI, NewsCred, etc.

I don't have the staff, the backing ... nor the service to provide that they do.

I wandered. Hard to admit for the guy who preaches focus. Can I be transparent here?

The people who read my blog are not my customers. I find myself in a teaching mode rather than a selling mode.

My CTA stinks. For the most part ... I find myself, well, teaching ... being asked to speak ... paid by the hour, by the gig. Not the best long-term strategy. But it is what it is.

What I have that nobody else has is the research. The data. The case studies.

It's time for me to package this up ...

Thoughts on your end?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Continuing on here ... it's interesting to me that HS is coming up with the same numbers that I did 2 years back.

400 posts in the archives.
23/posts weekly.
Combination of daily posts and anchor posts ... and so on.

I think I know things... but I am a lousy busy person in general.

I am more of an educator ... and that doesn't pay.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew isn't one of the main selling points of content marketing ... the small guy can compete with the large guy... although most people can't produce enough content.

My monthly organic reach isn't 3-5K... just over half of that in fact, although as you know, competition in this niche is fierce ... hence my question, about reach changing over time.

"I think I know things... but I am a lousy busy person in general.

I am more of an educator ... and that doesn't pay."

I was taught by an old mentor of mine, that life is self fulfilling prophecy ... so be careful of what you're expectations are, because that is most likely the highs you will reach.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
As to stats ... they differ depending on the software you use ... to demonstrate here are my stats ...

Top one is based on my server logs.

Second is a Google one ... picked a report that shows how my monthly traffic is derived, although the email one is just plain wrong ...

Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Steve

The little guy can beat the big guy in niches. I can beat the big guys, for example, when someone searches for a content marketer in Asia. I just got booked to go back to KL.

It's not about self fulfilling prophecy.

There is the guy who wakes up in the morning wanting to do business and loving it. Then there is the guy who wakes up in the morning who loves to teach. I am the latter.

Do I have the mindset to make money. Not nearly as strong as you do I am sure. Can I make money? I do.

Could I do better at making money? I could. Does that desire burn in me to make more money. No it doesn't. Should it burn? Ask my wife.

ideally I'd be paid the big bucks to teach. That I have been pondering.

I have been there done that proven it and can teach. Now to and how to package that is my challenge.

Make sense? Not?
Post 24 • IP   flag post
I imagine corporate educators earn big bucks ...

And I understand were you are and what motivates you ... I imagine a room full of students all learning stuff that you are teaching is all the motivation you need.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
26084 25 25
destitute