BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer AdviceContent MarketingMotivation

Transferable Life Lessons, Content Marketing1062

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
My daughter somehow stumbled upon my dog tags.

There was one of my tags (1978-1982) and one of my father's. WWII.

It got me to thinking about lessons I learned from living life and how those lessons might be transferred to make me a better content marketer.

The most prolific content creator in the Bible, for example, taught from farming, the military and sports.

I know some things from my experiences in the military. I know some things from my sports backgrounds, such as they are.

I don't know anything about farming except that you have to work very hard, wait a very long time for something to happen ... and oftentimes nothing happens and it's not your fault. Wait! That happens in content marketing all the time.

My younger son was the stereotypical 'dumb jock.' He went a very good university on a full-ride scholarship. One day he realized he wasn't going to make the Olympics. He seemingly flipped some invisible switch and decided to apply the disciplines he learned from swimming to being a better student.

He finished his BA. Got his MSc in the University of California grad school system. And now has finished 3 years of a 6-7 year paid PhD program in molecular exercise physiology - in his second language. What he learned 'there' he applied 'there.'

We do the same as content marketers.

I am curious to know. What lessons from 'life' have you learned that you now apply to your content marketing endeavors, or working online, or being a solopreneur, or doing a start up or, or ...

Wanna share?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Life lesson #1: "Save your money and buy a bus." - Joseph W. I. Henry, philosopher, time traveler, and my father.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Did you listen to him and buy a bus?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Rev

An early lesson from my dad, "If you put a bucket of manure (he used a different word) on your porch and leave it there long enough. Sooner or later someone will buy it. Either because they want the bucket or they need the manure."
Post 4 • IP   flag post
One of my all-time favorite quotes from my triathlon days, "Don't fall off your bicycle while trying to peel a banana. It has been done."

Lots of lessons here.

Keep the main thing the main thing.

Avoid distractions that can lead to disaster.

Of course you gotta eat, but ...

Lessons apply to the content marketer as well.

what lessons have you learned lately where you least thought you would?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Having grown up on a farm, I know it is not hard work when you have the right tools. In fact, nothing is hard work when you have the right tools.

Hard work is relative. With the latest technology, farming is done with a lawn chair and joy stick.

Farming is about preparation, commitment, patience and rest.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

How does that translate to doing content marketing better?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew (from @morrnel)

"Farming is about preparation, commitment, patience and rest."

That sounds a lot like content marketing to me!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
My dad also said, "I had no shoes and I complained, until I met a man who had no feet."

It taught me a lot about appreciation and looking forward, not back. Content marketing is like that, too. Keep your eyes on the goal and move forward. If that takes work; do the work.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Oh, and the bus? I'm still saving. ...but I have passed the saying on to my daughters.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew,
It was obvious to you, wasn't it? Haven't you brought up these four items in the past?

@Rev
Did you pass up the 60's and forego the bus then?
Me too. I had fast cars and cycles instead and itching for them again.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Great thread @Belew

One piece of advice from my father that has stuck with me:

"It never hurts to ask"

Got lots of other amazing and wonderful advice but that is one simple idea that is oh so true.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29382 12 12
destitute