BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness AdviceContent MarketingCustomer Service

How do you prevent stress? or do you?1072

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it's only the content marketing world. But for some reason everybody wants too much too soon.

Unrealistic expectations causes stress.

if I had to admit to stress it happens mostly when I am in a hurry... in my car to go somewhere, for example.

The key for me is to leave early, or to plan ahead. If I can go into a situation with some leeway I won't fret. Read I am less likely to get angry... an indication of stress.

Content can't perform quickly. Or very seldom does it.

How about you? How do you avoid stress? Or deal with it when it rears its ugly head?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
nicosuccess private msg quote post Address this user
I also like planning ahead. Leave early just in case etc.

Sometimes the procrastination bug grabbs me and i do bump heads with stress and anxiety and last minute adrenalin rushes, off course vowing to never do it again ..

To keep my mind awake i do the following (brace yourself, its not for everyone)

- go to bed at a certain time (sometimes i set my alarm)
- take Magnesium before bed time every day
- try to meditate daily (sometimes i slack and my day is definitely less productive)
- exercise daily (min 4 times a week) 40 minutes high impact and no resting
- i do intermittent fasting (been doing it for 6 months)
- bulletproof coffee first thing in the morning and if needed by 11am
- krill oil tablets in the morning
- Vit D3 and K2 after lunch
- get quality sleep from 10pm to 4pm ... if i dont ignore my go to bed alarm

Long story short, i try to keep my brain awake to be as productive as possible to avoid stress caused by brain fog and fatigue.

Hope this was not too much out of context
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@nicosuccess

And how is the program working for you?

Do you have a before and after story to go with instigating this regime?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Happy to contribute --
Stress is part of the greater illusion of what we think of as 'reality.'

Stress is a psychological, physical and emotional state -- and is therefore determined by You. You are the one who puts You into a 'stressed out' state. Not (for example) your clients' unreasonable / unrealistic demands -- that's a communication breakdown that's easily fixed.

By way of example:
Client: "We need this Nowwwww!"
You: "No problem. There's an extra fee for the kind of turnaround you are wanting. May I send you that invoice?" Client: "Oh, nevermind. Sigh."

If the client complains you didn't tell him/her about this fee, well, you learn for next time and add this as a discussion topic in your 'new client onboarding' process.

The majority of the time, when the client receives this oh-so-urgent item that you sacrificed your entire weekend to complete, it sits in his/her inbox for a week before s/he touches it anyway.

So stress is an internally-created state, not an externally-imposed reality.

@belew -- at this time in your life, can there be anything so critical, so important, so vital, that you allow yourself to stress about it? If so, what is that?

Stress about getting in the car implies that you have concern that you might be late. But I imagine if you were to meet me for coffee and you thought you'd be late, you'd just call me before you left to tell me you'd be late, no?

I think you may also be "anti-cell phone" at least for use in the car. Perhaps you could re-consider that position for the sake of your heart? Maybe invest $20 in a bluetooth car kit for legal, safe, hands-free use of your phone?

Any before/after stories @belew you'd like to share about how you managed this?

DonO
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

I don't stress. Never have. Don't plan to start.

I do get irritated and yell at inanimate objects from time to time when I am in my car. But I think that is more for fun...because it really doesn't do any good anyway.

If I am late ... I call ahead. I don't like phones except when I am in my car. My car is bluetooth smart.

Before - no stress. After - no stress.

Head down and staying the course.

How was Vidcon?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
I get stress from three sources, family, friends, business. It's all conflict related and I constant work on thinking before reacting in those situations.

But I also thrive in stress, particularly as a daily journalist. I write better on daily deadline. It's how I was trained.

I relieve stress two ways: quiet time, if only briefly, and as often as daily. And I am a runner. It provides tremendous stress relief.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Stress is a part of life. Even with you in one shape or another. Without a little stress you are a very dull person.

When you get irritated and yell at things, you are relieving your stress. But there are other ways to relieve stress. As you pointed out, give yourself ample time. Don't put 10 lb of crap into a 5 lb bag.

Key is to keep your stress at a manageable level.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Jamie

Are you still doing ultras?

I did a 50K about 3 years ago just to see if I could. I could.

I also dropped 40 lbs this year ... and the ultra bug is about to bite me again. But I am keeping it away for now. 8-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

A good friend told me not long ago ... that at our age there are so many things going on in our lives that at any given time there has to be some things going well and some things not going well = stress of some sort.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@belew, a 50k what?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@morrnel 50 kilometer run
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Belew, and speaking of minimizing stress, time to get ready to hit the road.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
nicosuccess private msg quote post Address this user
@belew
I have a bit of a story on how I started on my path .. don't want to bore people so here is the short version.

Always in control dad of 2, happily married, socially accepted good job and just bought our "dream" house. Last year May got divorced and spiraled down.

Decided to try something new (the old ways obviously did not work). Started my new path with meditation (man I sucked), some other personal development, then started concentrating on exercise again (I got up to 12 km obstacle races), went on a life changing conference last year Nov, started my business on the side in Jan this year and now try as much as possible to get the most out of my day.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@nicosuccess

I have been down that divorced path. You are not alone there.

I am very happy you have landed back on your feet and wish you the best.

Do not be shy if there is something I can do to help. I will do my best.

Others here in the forum will surely pitch in as well.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I'm learning to manage my stress. I've been forgetful.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
24976 15 15
destitute