BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksMotivationNetworking

Who's Your Go To Person for Tough Decisions?1079

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Who do you go to when it's time to make the really hard decisions?

Is it a friend, a mentor, a boss, a spouse, a group?

Who is the person who doesn't tell you what you want to hear but what you need to hear?

Who do you really trust as a sounding board?

And how did you find them?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew
This is an interesting topic. I have several Advisors for my consulting business. Most I have known for years. I discuss major business strategy issues with another consultant. This occurs about once every two years; tactical business issues with a different consultant .. about once every 3-6 months; etc. Each Advisor was "selected in" based on his/her ability to provide insight in a certain sphere. For any one issue.. I will consult 2-3 of my advisors.. with a different focus for each consultation. More consultations are used for more important issues. This gives me an Advisory Board, such as I sometimes provide to my clients.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

I envy you. No doubt it took you a long time to build these relationships. Perhaps you could teach an 'old dog' like me how you did it.

I have spent too much of my life as a maverick and now I pay the price. No doubt I have paid that price many times over for having to think things through on my own and learn from mistakes someone else already made.

How do you build those relationships?

Got time to teach?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Normally, it is my family members. Now, I just realize they do not even know to guide me because I am in the creative industry.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I love my family ... but they are not a good source.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
You right. I blew up my creative opportunity due to listening to them.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
It's never too late to do the right thing.

Change your direction. Do it right. Start now.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew
It does take elapsed time to build these advisory relationships. But, not a lot of time each month. I work to extend relationships with those whom I know well. So, in effect it is really like feeding and managing a small sales funnel. Then, for any given important decision on a specific topic, I access people with a range of skill sets selecting those which I see as being appropriate. For example, in considering if I wanted to commit to adding video to my inbound marketing; one of those I consulted knows little about my business; but, is very good at focusing on what is important in making a decision. Another was very Internet-video-production knowledgeable. Another was an experienced inbound marketer. I select in those with diversity of experience. After you get your process underway, building and maintaining the Advisory group is a background task.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

Good for you! To be surrounded by such people.

I seem to be in a world where most everybody comes to me to learn, when too often it is I who need to learn.

Thanks for the tips. You have given me an idea that I think will be worth trying out.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@belew Even I need to learn and wish to be surrounded with people whom @Jonnner connects with.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
27499 10 10
destitute