BillBelew.com
Business AdviceSEOSEO AdviceTwitter

Can Twitter Beat Google in Providing Traffic1084

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I like to mouse (play) around with numbers.

My time, no doubt would be spent more productively creating something new rather than wishful thinking ... even the thinking is grounded in numbers.

Still I play around. Put myself 'out there' so I can come back and see how far I was on/off the mark.

Playing around with Twitter and hoping for more organic results... I have done some calculations.

Based on the last month of growth for Twitter followers/visitors to the forum here and growth of organic traffic ... I have some idea of where things will stand by the end of the year ... or not. Consider bookmarking this thread and calling me out in 5 months.

"Hey, Bill! How'd those numbers work for you?!"

If Twitter continues to grow ... by the end of the year I will be seeing about 812 new users here at the forum per week from Twitter!

Compared to that ... Google will be sending 168 visitors per week!

Twitter will be outperforming Google by almost 5X in providing new eyeballs to our content marketing community here.

That's interesting, no?

But .... there's always a but.

Those 800 visitors/week from Twitter will spend a combined 52 hours 20 minutes per week.

Whereas ... those 168 visitors from Google will spend a combined 43 hours 52 minutes.

Time on site is up 1.2X.

Hmm... question:

Should I focus / hope for more organic visitors or more Twitter visitors?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Is the difference this:
Twitter sends all.
Google knows better and decides who to send.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Not at all. Twitter users decide if they will come or not.

Same with Google.

I think the difference is ppl from Twitter were on Twitter and then came because of a tweet. Whereas Ppl Who C a me via Google were on a hunt for something and found it in the forum.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
It is a tiring job to drive traffic to own website.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@tienny

But aww s @Steve is apt to point out, Twitter can be automated IF you have an archive if content to work with.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
My point is that Twitter feeds are not filtered. You page MAY show up in the search of Google thinks you are good enough
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Next question does it work for all markets?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

I am not following your questions. ... 8-(
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Here's what is going through my mind...

The Google side of things:
I use Webmaster Tools to watch Google index my pages. I also am able to watch how many impressions my pages get. This all happens before you see anything in Analytics.

The indexed number of pages is usually lower than the submitted number. Google has decided not to index some pages.

Google search will tell me how many and what pages are indexed using the "site:domain.com" search.

If a page is not indexed, you can always go back and look at it to see why it does not index. An unindexed page is waste.

The Twitter side:

As I understand, Twitter does not select which tweets are or are not published. A good tweet has seo.

My point is that you are going to get more traffic from twitter because twitter does not filter any of your tweets while Google does.

Simple as that.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Twitter will not give you more traffic because of the inherent noise. Everybody sees everything = if your tweet doesn't pass by when they happen to be looking, your tweet gets lost.

I know well about Google webmasters. I know that a lot of people spend a lot of time in webmasters.

What I want are results in Analytics... more fun there.

If your content is not searchable ... you rely on timeliness, luck and rising above the noise.

If your content is searchable ... people will find you because you have what they want.

Write good stuff. Get found.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
webmaster tools is simply the step prior to analytics
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

I know webmasters. I am not saying this is you. But I also know people who never get beyond webmasters. They are forever tweaking stuff when the real solution is more stuff.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I am putting more stuffs.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Simple answer:

Yes Twitter can send more targeted traffic to your website than Google.

Long answer ... it takes time to work Twitter... you need to follow the people that make up your target audience, you need to create a whole pile of content so that you can engage your audience with it via tweets. If you target audience is exposed to your tweets often enough they will check your content out.

Also, being active and seen to be active on Social Media helps provide you with lots of links and other goodies that Google likes and which helps your website rank higher. So some of those visitors coming from Google, might actually come as result of some of the work you do on social media.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
26002 14 14
destitute