BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBrainstormingContent Creation

The Best Way to Do Anything is ...1095

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I was having a conversation with a good friend yesterday.

He mentioned something he read/heard (I am old and get fuzzy on the details of things I remember) about a guy who said doing such and such in a particular way was the very best way to get results.

I countered, "If there were a single best way to do something, then everybody would be doing it that one way, right?"

Laughter ....

I think it was DeGaulle who said something like, "How can you get all the French to agree when we have more than 200 kinds of cheese?"

The simple fact that there is so much variety (so many social media platforms ...) is indicative that there is not one, almighty, one-size-fits all solution.

If I can get .7% engagement on average and the norm is .5%, I am 40% better! But I am still only getting 7 out of a 1000 people to look compared to the guy who is getting 5 out of 1000.

Is my way really the BEST way? I think not. It's just a better way ... for me than what's working ... for them.

What works best for you may not be what works best across the board.

Are you bold enough to say it's the best way? Or can you say it's a better way ... for you?

I think a 'best way' is to know alternative methods that can be applied depending on where you or your client is at?

What do you think is the single best way?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I can't say what the "best" way to do anything is. Different strokes, and all that. But I do know that when I hire it done there never seems to be enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to do it over... if I'm willing to pay again!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

What has happened is that You/We/I have become the quality control piece.

"If you are not satisfied, we will gladly come back and do it again."

Uh, no. How about you do it right the first time? And if I am not satisfied you pay me for my time involved to get you back and teach you how to do it right?!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - doing what you can with what you have and know in a given moment is the "best" you can do..

..or as "Blood & Guts" aka GeneralPatton would say - "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
Post 4 • IP   flag post
The Japanese have a phrase that became one of my favorites over time.

何とかする . nan to ka suru. Naan toe ka soo roo

It means I will do something or rather to make it happen one way or the other.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Sounds like what we had to deal with in making things "sailor proof" (not sure if I fully agree with Urban Dictionary's definition..) - some of these young guys took a little too much initiative and were a little too creative!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

If there were more than one moving part it was never sailor proof.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
My uncle was navy. He always said they were taught, "If it moves, salute it. If not, paint it grey."
Post 8 • IP   flag post
True dat @Belew

@Rev - yup, pretty sure I knew guys who lived by that!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

you had to give clear instructions on which end of the brush to use.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew lol - if only that weren't true..
Post 11 • IP   flag post
29720 11 11
destitute