BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness AdviceFocus

It Takes 9 months for marketing to work, so1096

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I was talking to the co-founders of a new start up this morning.

They were, imho, heading down the same road so many other start ups have gone ... and failed. It doesn't mean they will fail. What do I know? I am not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet.

What I do know, think, is that they are mistaken to spend all their time building their product, then start to market it.

It will take 6-9 months of intensive and targeted marketing for an idea to kick in/catch on.

It's a bad strategy to build then market. You can create a create widget, but 6-9 months later it can be outdated.

It's a good strategy to build and market in parallel. In that way, by the time your widget is almost ready, so is your market.

It's a great strategy to have your market waiting for you when your widget is done.

What are you doing to prepare your market for when your widget will be done?

What's your strategy?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

So, did you offer them a package to put their marketing program into action simultaneous with what they are already doing?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

No. I have never met a start up at an early stage who had any money.

At this point, planting the idea was the best I could do.

Who knows? Maybe one of these days they'll listen to the old guys who have 'been there, done that.' Or didn't do it when they should have.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this thread @Rev ....

How would you change Google Analytics?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
How do you market before building the product?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Tell the story of what your product will do.

Think of it as when movie houses put out trailers long before the movie is ready for the theaters.

Does this make sense?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@belew Make sense. Thank you. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Does it mean the Disney or other cartoon producer put out their trailers way long before they produce the cartoon?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
They put the trailers out long before they come to the theater.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
And, yes, sometimes before they produce, or at least finish producing, the product. Sometimes there are scenes in the trailer that are not in the final theatrical release. This is due either to pre-production filming to produce the trailer in advance of the film itself, or post-production editing to the film that removes early scenes used in the trailer. Either way it is in advance of theatrical release of the finished product.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Do I need to produce the trailer for the crowdfunding?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@tienny

In this instance the "trailer" is a metaphor. But in your case a video might well be a useful tool for introducing yourself/your business concept to the crowdfunding group. Especially, I would think, if it were animated graphics you produced.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev Should I separate the business concept introduction and my own introduction? Because I have registered my business name.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@tienny

You are asking a lot of specific "little" questions which can have a variety of answers. The right answer depends heavily on your over all plan. That is something you need to discuss and develop with the adviser/consultant/mentor you select to work with you. It is not something that can be effectively put together piece-meal based on questions/answers derived in/from a group like this.

You mention already having created a business plan in a course you paid for. While I strongly support and advise a sound business plan I am skeptical about one produced in such circumstances. But, whether it is good or bad, it is something you need to go over in detail with the adviser you hire.

A couple of times Bill has suggested sound methodologies for approaching, and deciding upon, the person you need to work with but you seem resistant to accept such an approach. Instead you continue to pick away at little bits and pieces.

This group can be very helpful in providing general advice and aiding you in staying on track, but at some point you must embrace the seriousness of what you are doing and take the step to formalize a business relationship with someone who will be able to guide you.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@tienny. What @Rev says.

frankly, you have overused your quota of questions. It is time to act. Stop asking. Start doing.

You can forever be in search of the right answer when the answer is to simply commit and act. Then learn and regroup. Then act some more.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@tienny. What @Rev says.

frankly, you have overused your quota of questions. It is time to act. Stop asking. Start doing.

You can forever be in search of the right answer when the answer is to simply commit and act. Then learn and regroup. Then act some more.

Stop asking. Start doing.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Ok. The problem is the people who advises me are dinosaurs. So I got confused and upset for not executing the plan.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@tienny

No more excuses.

choose someone here you have learned to trust from the many exchanges you have had. Reach out to them by inmail and give them a budget. They will tell you what they can and can't do.

Do not reach out to 3, 4 or 5 people and wait to compare and end up doing nothing.

Reach out to 1 or 2 max. And decide. Then do.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Ok. I don't hire the mentor. The person willingly mentors me.

Glad to have @jycmba schedule his time to chat with me.

Is it good to make a shoutout?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
29720 17 17
destitute