BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBrainstormingConferences

What do you ask a content marketing expert?1106

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like I'm going to be spending a few days with @Belew in November ... we're both speaking at a content marketing conference.

What enlightening questions would you (should I) ask Bill?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Davia private msg quote post Address this user
This has nothing to do with it but would love opinions

Purchasing new computer for the office. IMAC or PC what would you choose and why?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Davia

What are you using now? What will the learning curve on the new O/S cost you? Have you considered the cost of software you will need? If it is for staff, what are they already trained on? Is it a single computer or will it have to inter-operate and/or network with others in your firm? Who will you turn to for support?

Questions, not answers, but worth consideration, I think.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Buy him a coffee at a quite table and listen. No questions necessary.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Davia, what are you going to use the computer for? I have both and am always using my Windows machine because that is where my software runs.

And if you switch from one platform to the other, you need new licenses, unless of course if all is running cloud based then it doesn't matter.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Davia

While the myth is still alive, and the truth is once there was a great difference between MACs and PCs both in architecture (the machine) and operating systems (if using Windoze), today the performance of both is pretty close. Was it Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry who said, "I wouldn't want to live on the difference!"
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@everyone,

My software is all cloud based :0

Its for running my medical billing service and most of my providers use Macs etc.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@rev, some employees use macs others use PC's trying to streamline to one item or company
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@ rev, we will have an internal network but all programs are cloud based to allow for traveling and all sharing the same info

@belew and everyone!

I love this forum you are all so helpful and ask questions that I never thought of. Man where were yall when I started this business!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Davia

Your answer is in the clouds. Truly.

Either Mac or PC will handle your needs so you now want to consider price, service, learning curve for those that have to switch, etc. If it is simply an either/or decision, I would think good local support would be the prime consideration.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Davia

"...where were yall when I started this business!"

I was probably out here looking for clients. I must not have done enough content marketing for you to find me. Or, perhaps, you didn't look in the right place. ;o)

While I much prefer to work with clients from the outset in order to assist them in getting on the right path, most of my clients have come to me after having spent considerable sums to get the wrong advice/service/system and desperately in need of a solution. Most often they profess, "No funds!"

I actually do a little pro bono work from time to time or provide platinum work against a silver budget, but these days I also tend to say, "Sorry. Come back when you have the budget." I'm doing that more than I used to. Getting old, I guess.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev,

I fully understand, most of my clients that are referred to me because they are in trouble or other billers have done them wrong etc. Its very rare that I get a client who is new to medical.

With that being said, I thought I had hired someone with a good reputation, I liked his examples etc of his previous work. But now................
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding question #1 - what kind of questions or topics do I need to start the presentation with, to quickly understand what actually interests that audience and really gets their attention?

That's fairly easy with a small group - how about an audience of several hundred (live) or near-infinite (on-line)?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding question #2 - it doesn't seem to matter, but my first thought was if using unix would be an advantage, then get a Mac. That seems to be matter more for developers, than the rest of the world.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

Thanks for asking your question to start this thread.

I suggest that you ask Belew:

What is the essence of a blog post that impresses a b2b target market?

How can you describe the voice or tone of your blog? What are the components? Then how might you evaluate the voice or tone of your blog to consider how to modify it?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Davia

Where were we when you starter your business?

I want to ask why you started without us? 8-)
Post 16 • IP   flag post
It may not surprise some that the question, "Do you have a budget?" has creeped earlier and earlier on into my conversations. And saved me a lot of time, too.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

I'll go with your first question first.

Articulate a desire or an obstacle that your clients face and how you can fulfill that desire or remove the obstacle.

Then do that again and again...
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

Voice or tone of blog...

Be yourself. By now you are pretty good at being yourself. Stay the course.

I don't worry abt tone or voice unless I have at some point realized I am an idiot. Then I change my character and my voice will reflect that.

Even B2B relationships are built on doing business with real and transparent people on both sides.

Be yourself and let the tone and voice of your blog reflect that.

Next question?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thank you for your thoughtful input.
@Belew and @Steve

Regarding my first question ... What is the essence of a blog post that impresses a b2b target market? .... Does the following look like a good way to plan and execute creating blog posts?

Plan
For each post ... Articulate a desire or an obstacle that your clients face and how you can fulfill that desire or remove the obstacle.

Methodology
Methodology is to write a Post like a story .... based loosely on Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling at http://www.fastcocreate.com/3018559/pixars-22-rules-of-storytelling-visualized#1

Structure of a Post
Introduction; 3-5 sections with headers;subheads; conclusion; internal and external links
@Rev and @Steve have discussed something like this in posts

SEO
Think through and act on the SEO optimization of each post after you master the above.

Scaling
Do the above again and again ideally at 2-4 posts per day... Until you have 400 posts. Then rethink and regroup
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Jonner

Planning is good. But don't over think it. Natural, in your own voice, is always best.

If you have to remember (or check) 22 rules in order to tell a story you aren't telling a story. Plan a time. Get an idea. Tell the story.

Structure should become second nature. Don't fuss over it but, yes, the approach you outline is fine. I was specific elsewhere in the forum. My method works for me. Different strokes and all that...

SEO should be like punctuation. Learn how to use it right. Apply it accordingly. If you are using a self-hosted WordPress site use Yoast SEO. It's a free plugin. Shoot for an over all "green" rating. Don't fret if you don't get 100% in the specifics. More is better, of course.

If you write 2-4 posts a day and use Yoast, by the end of the second day you should be writing posts that are green over all and nearly, or exactly, 100% every time.

By the time you have 400 posts it will be so second-nature you won't need to regroup or rethink. Just rinse and repeat.

Now, stop thinking about it and write your next post. You can do it. Go for it!
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@REV I needed this too! Thank you! Just need to put my head down and write Oh VEY
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner What @Rev said, "Don't overthink."

50-100 posts in, or sooner you will see in analytics who is reading what. Then make course adjustments as needed.

You can't change course if you aren't moving. Start moving.

You probably have heard novelists say that a book they are writing takes on its own life. Blogs do, too.

Re: find your voice. Write...and your voice will find you.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Rev @Belew

Thank you.

My blog has 50 posts now. But many need to be rewritten. So I am adding some new and rewriting some old as I move forward.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

What's your blog? Where can we see it?
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Belew

My blog is at www.taligo.com/blog/ As I said I need to do quite a few rewrites of blog posts. The Yoast SEO PlugIn says that 16 of my 51 Posts are "Good"(Green) from an SEO perspective.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Jonner

I haven't looked yet, and I will comment again after I do, but writing new posts is far more valuable than updating old ones. Don't spend a lot of time with the old unless you need to make significant changes to the general nature of the posts to keep them in line with your path forward.

If they are weak for SEO any time spent doing more than a quick once-over is better put towards adding new content.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Jonner

I've had a quick look but it was not a good experience. In very short order I was accorded the following:

1 - site loaded in text only mode and I had to locate the "View Full Site" link in order to see theme.

2 - I found the layout lacking in white space and graphics making it unappealing.

3 - Some posts returned 404 Page Not Found errors.

4 - I was locked out for accessing too many pages in too short a time (ie: not a human) -- my wife says that about me sometimes but I think your understanding of "bot time" is a little off.

That's not a good first experience for any one. My advice...

a) Get over the techie stuff. It isn't about tech.

b) Lose the cute plugins you've found or had recommended for things not germane to postiive user experience and orgainic content marketing.

c) Don't try to control your site beyond basic security limits. WordPress is pretty secure right out of the box. WordFence with its default settings will suffice until you know better. Lose anything else.

d) Get some help with design/layout and the psych of visual marketing. Don't over think it or get fiddly with it but get some basics. Pretty much now you have nothing.

There's a lot more but, hey, I'm locked out!
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@rev you are amzaing!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Davia

What -- for getting locked out??? ;o)

But, uh, thanks.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28724 60 30
destitute