BillBelew.com
Business AdviceContent MarketingLinkedIn

How Does Storytelling Help Your Business?1110

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Recently, I got invited on a podcast where I shared how storytelling is the most critical part of the most important sale in the life of your business - actually selling your business!

@Belew has talked a bit about this, and we shared Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling

But what about your business? How have you shared your 'why' with your customers or clients? What has this done for your business?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Hasn't 😅
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Invariably at some point in a business/client relationship I will be asked, "Bill, what's your story?"

There's a connection made...it gets personal...we start to feel like we know the person and are being known.

My question is, "How vulnerable should you allow yourself to become when you are telling your story?"
Post 3 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
A persons/business story has to matter and resonate with others.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
What happens when we change our stories?

There have been days when I felt trapped in my situation - like I was living someone else's life.

Yesterday I listened to Liz Gilbert's podcast - talk about awesome use of storytelling.. (I dare you to listen to just one episode!)

She shares the story of a gal who felt stuck in the "most boring job in the world." They discuss how that doesn't have to be the end of her story and how she can build a tribe around her.

Liz then talks to an author friend about how this gal can change her story. They discuss how monks choose tedious work just as an act of devotion and spiritual growth.

Then, this morning I listened to Don Miller talk about helping businesses tell better stories (another awesome author if you haven't checked him out..) -

Most businesses tell stories where their product or service is the hero. He points out how in reality we need to make your customer the hero.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

You are the second person in a couple of days to mention Don Miller. @PDave is the other.

Indeed the web owner is the hero! Demographic, desire, obstacle, solution (Be the hero), results and location is what I preach.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew - I loved "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" but didn't realize that he's turned this platform for coaching. His story of growing into a business is really fascinating in itself.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I don't think I get out enough. ... or read the right books.

I'll take a look.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@jycmba I've heard your podcast I enjoy listening to it.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Thanks @tienny - I love when words flow that capture some of my main ideas.. but I still get really tongue tied at times because sometimes it doesn't come out the way I want.

In many ways it's like tango for me. When I connect with the music and my partner, it's amazing. I probably wouldn't recognize myself in those moments.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@jycmba you are welcome. I can understand your feeling of being tongue tied.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
26902 11 11
destitute