BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer AdviceInspirationMotivation

Are You Committed to Lifelong Learning?1113

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It is clear for many reasons that we should always be learning...something.

Or is it? In an earlier thread I found a study that showed the sorry state of many people who never read a book again after they leave high school.

setting them aside there are those of us who realize we must always be learning.

How about you? What are you always trying to learn more about?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

As I see it learning can be fun. I see 3 groups of knowledge ... Things I know, Things I don't know and Things that I don't yet know that I do not know. I keep trying to learn about groups 2 and 3.

So I am trying to learn more about people, video blogging, cooking and CSS.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

interesting list there.

May I ask where/how you are learning these things?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member Davia private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I am the belief of if you ever stop learning you must be dead.

Life is full of learning experiences and curves.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
More of Dr. Bette's babble:

Do not think of life long learning as sitting at a desk in school. Life long learning is the curiosity of wanting to know more about anything (like learning how to sail a boat or learning the ins and outs of a new technology). Every day creates a learning opportunity. No matter how big my education credentials are, the more I learn, the less I know, and the more I need to learn. Today's challenge is getting a new optimize press membership site functioning the way I need. So the learning begins with taking a couple of courses and trying new angles with the software.

I also teach courses on Udemy and often learn a great deal from my students as they always have a fresh perspective.

Isn't learning having a great idea and figuring a way to get it to market? Always something new to chase...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Davia

What are you reading/studying now that is non-work related?

I know everything we learn can be applied to our work life.

I just finished reading the Wright Brothers.

Great story abt 2 self-educated fellows who believed in hard work, exercised courage, endured ridicule, kept their head down and turn the world upside and into believers all in one swoop (pardon the pun).

It doesn't hurt that they lived wright, um, right up the street from me ... sort of. Dayton. I am from Cincinnati.

My son also got his undergrad from Wright State.

I love stories of 'average' people doing extraordinary things through hard work, boldness and discipline.

How about you?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@bdaoust I see it (learning) as my fix...borderline psychological addiction for "wanting to know". I have always had little interest in institutional learning as it never seemed to satisfy the range and depth of interest or curiosity on different subjects.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Udemy? What do you teach on Udemy? Don't be shy.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Here's the thread on Surprising Facts about Book Reading ... or not Reading.

I'll admit to coming late to the reading for fun and learning party. I also admit to being sorry and wishing I had started reading much earlier in life.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew
I learn about people from my sales and startup coaching activities. I am learning about video blogging and CSS on the Internet. My wife is a great cook so she helps me to learn about cooking.

I agree with @Davia
If you ever stop learning you must be dead.

I agree with @bdaoust
One form of learning is ... having a great idea and figuring a way to get it to market. @bdaoust; There was some discussion of Udemy on here a few months ago. I am also interested in your experience there.

I agree with @lunar_ranger
That institutional learning is only one source of learning
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner @bdaoust

Here is the thread on Udemy vs Fedora | Now I am confused.

I wonder... why did you choose Udemy?

And is it really worth it?

The numbers seem incredible to me = unbelievable.

Can you share @bdaoust?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
One of Orville Wright's quotes made it into the favorite quote thread! "We were lucky enough to grow up ..."
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew Since you asked:

I have 3 courses on Udemy:

Learn Excel from the Inside - MOS Study Guide for Excel

Scorching Crowd Marketing Tactics

Group Savvy - Maximizing Profits from Joining Groups
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

If I may ... does offering courses on Udemy work?

I am intrigued. The numbers there seem to incredible to me.

Can you share from your experience?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
While I personally believe reading is critical to ongoing reading, and have over 3000 books that I am slowly chipping away at -- though I seem to be adding more than I read each week -- there are other acceptable learning methodologies, so those who don't read shouldn't feel they are somehow second class learners. Reading just makes it easy and it can, as Bill said, also be fun.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Perhaps you could start a new thread and share with us the process that lead you to choosing Optimize Press and, going forward, the success you have with it.

Do you have the theme or the plugin version?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Putting up a course takes hours of work for the planning and then the video component. For my Excel course I had to write the script to make sure I mentioned the necessary and then develop the student exercises to match. A solid week to do that.

The filming was ok as I used Adobe Captivate to capture what I need. I was lazy and did very little editing. Another solid week here.

Then putting it altogether on the Udemy site, sending a test video etc. for approval.

Finally course submission and then going live.

Here is the interesting part. Going live is easy, getting students is not so easy - you still have to market your courses as you would any other program. If you have a trendy topic, Udemy pushes it, if not, you are on your own.

I have a thousand or so students - so a little bit of income (you get 40% of the fee). There are more complications but that is the gist of it.

I use my courses as a marketing piece. In other words I give coupons to entice my list to take the course at 50% off or something like that.

Now is it worth the effort? Maybe. Is writing a book worth the effort? Maybe. It is the total sum of all the small things you put together that bring in the dollars. I am not paying my rent with my Udemy income but then again, I am not spending the time marketing the courses either.

Hmmm....maybe I should think about how to do that on my own site (just launched it bettedaoust.com).

Hope this is what you are looking for.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Rev I have the theme version of Optimize Press, and yes, I will start a new thread.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Yup... what I was looking for.

Do you smell the smoke? That's me thinking about what you just wrote.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I've never fully understood the Udemy model -- or, maybe that's just it, I DO understand it...

You compete for attention with thousands of other courses, pay 60% for the privilege, and still have to do most, or all, of your own marketing.

Why not put the same effort into the course, put it on your own website, do your own marketing, 100% of which brings people to YOUR course, not everyone else's, and you get 100% of the revenue. Hmmmm....
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Belew

BACONNNNN!
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Perhaps Udemy or Fedora may have access to market sectors that her list does not address. I see it as another version of the old Build versus Buy decision.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Belew @Rev My thinking exactly. I am looking at using YesCourse or another platform to place my courses but there is still a fee attached. I found a way to make the courses more interactive by simply using S3 as the holding container and my site as the deployment piece. Seems to work well and I am not stuck with Video only - can use flash and other software to make it really interesting.

Yes lots of BACON with Udemy for sure!

BTW - how do you start a new thread? Couldn't find it - let me know and I will get the OP thread started.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I have just finished reading through this thread and realized I have a lot to learn ... still!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Big blue button top left "Compose Thread".
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Rev DUH! Thanks
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I run several membership sites, and have built a few for clients, all using S2Member Framework (FREE), S3 for hosting video and larger files (CHEAP), and I create my own course pages right in WordPress.

There are some excellent LMS products available that are either free or cheap as well, and they do a great job. Have a look at:

Woo Sensei - I guess it depends on your definition of cheap, but it's a solid product. I purchased a license some time ago and would use it if I didn't find it easier/faster to code what I need myself.

Namaste LMS - if I was teach traditional college-style courses I would probably use this one. It's free and has become quite good. Again, I cook my own so I don't use it but I have played with it and it is definitely worth a look.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Jonner

There are a lot of ways to look at these things. My view tends to follow the path less traveled.

Through the years I've done a fair bit of work with eBay Power Sellers, or those who want to be. I've had them tell me that eBay is a great place to sell because it gets 60,000,000 visitors a day.

Yes. That's a fact. But then I ask them to put a hit counter on their listings and report the number to me when the sale is made. Most never exceed 40. FORTY, not forty million. So what has 60 million visitors a day got to do with eBay being a great place on which to sell?

It is the number of visitors to your listing that matters. And, it turns out, for eBay and Udemy both, the organic results from your own off-site marketing efforts will always exceed the native traffic from the internal masses.

It always comes back to YOU.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your insight.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
A monkey can write a book, create content - video, course or otherwise. It will, no doubt, not be so good. Still anybody can create something.

It takes a genius to get the product in front of the right people, or the right people in front of the product (good content marketing.)

TED talks mastered the art of having people give them something while thinking they were getting something.

I have never met a person who did a TED talk who thought it was worth their time. The mojo is there. But you can't eat mojo.

There is time, expense, commitment and such to add to the TED library and at the end of the day you have, "I spoke for Ted. I wrote a book published by XYZ. I wrote an article on ABC ..." And so on.

The creator still has to do the marketing.

Seldom do you give a 3rd party something and as a result the crowds come flocking to you. Whereas the 3rd party recipient of all your hard work is quite happy for you contribution. "Thank you. Next?!"
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28670 32 30
destitute