BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBrainstormingPublic Speaking

I need to be more broadminded. Polyamorous?1116

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I think I need to be more broadminded.

A new member joined one of my Meetups.

She introduced herself as polyamorous. I had to look the word up.

I know poly. And I know amorous.

Sure enough it was what I thought it meant

"Love the one you're with." I remember Stephen Stills singing about this in the 70s.

She belongs to local Polyamorous Meetups. 300+ members. Dozens of groups. All local. I had no idea.

I'll bet those meetups aren't boring.

I am not sure what I want to say with this thread other than apparently I need to be more broadminded. If I am it is possible to have a bigger reach.

Hmmm... do you consider yourself sufficiently broadminded?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
If you are not broad minded, then are you narrow minded?

Are you asking if you are doing a good job tolerating other opinions even if you don't agree with them?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
No. I asking if you are narrow or broad minded?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I expect the phrase, "We are all God's children," would pass your lips quite easily. Live it.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

@Steve is doing the twitter webinar live now...

https://zoom.us/j/332337150
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Gregoryptm private msg quote post Address this user
In my thirties, I was polyamorous. It was hip. It was cool. I went to some great parties. Then I found other hobbies. It takes a lot of time to date mote than one person. I just don't have that kind of time anymore. I'm too busy learning and growing my business. For those who dig the lifestyle, hey, more power to them. For myself, I have one partner abd we regularly visit a couples counselor to have one great relationship instead of a bunch of them. Whatever works.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Gregoryptm

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Please don't mistake me for being judgmental. Maybe old and out of touch.

The idea of polyamorism (Is that a word) was new to me.

It seems to me that the polyamorous lifestyle would make for an interesting read from somebody who has 'been there done that.'

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Gregoryptm private msg quote post Address this user
I think I wrote about it - somewhere. I used to be the erotica columnist for the Boston Phoenix. It's a fascinating world. BDSM also. Swingers. All of it. People are looking for ways out of sexual normalcy. Monogamy feels like a dead end to a lot of people and I root for explorers. It's just not my bag at the moment. Sex parties are a cool excuse to meet new people. If you're really interested, there is a bible. It's called The Ethical Slut. Must read. It looks at polyamorous relationships at an ideal. In reality, I find that most people end up jealous aND often disillusioned. I ultimately found that I preferred sex tourism though I eventually grew bores with that too. In the end - there are just so many other things worth doing.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Gregoryptm

Interesting world ... eye-opening to me.

Thanks again for the insight.

I think I'll just stay at the dead end of things.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Steve Pavlina (big time blogger on personal development) has written extensively about going this route..
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Which route is that? Staying "at the dead end of things" or get down and boogie?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev - I'm probably not so up to date on his exploration. But I just thought it was interesting to share that a fairly well-known content marketer was public about his polyamory.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

These days I think there is probably someone, somewhere, who is public about anything. Even if it is just to make a bid for a reality TV show.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Do you think there will be a reality show about online communities?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Hmmmm... you seem to be reasonably well placed to pitch it!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
One topic of a conversation this morning was about how we are all watched, whether we know it or not. As soon as we expose ourselves we become watched.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

If I were to expose myself ... people would surely turn their heads away.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
24993 17 17
destitute