BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCustomer ServiceFeedback

Whatever happened to "Thank you!?"1117

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Not an isolated case...Just a recent example.

I was on the train to San Francisco earlier this week. I was feeling my age and was happy to get a seat on a very crowded train.

next stop a young girl gets on, 1/2 maybe even 1/3 my age.

I look at my watch and stay seated. My gentlemanly instincts kick in.

I get up and offer her my seat. She refuses. "Not necessary."

"I don't mind."

And she sits down. Turns to the window and says nothing.

I wasn't expecting anything I guess. And that's what I got, too. Nothing.

no thank you. No nothing.

Next time you let somebody out or in, watch. ... you'll get the same, no doubt.

Whatever happened to simple courtesies?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
Just a question: "How many people said thank you for the great webinar this morning?"
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Good question @bdaoust! I did ... via inmail.

There was a big crowd on the Increase Twitter Followers and Engagement Webinar.

@Steve pulled back the curtain on how people are growing and engaging with their following.

If you could get that sort of real following, why wouldn't you?

I am working it.

Are you going to do it also?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@belew I started by targeting 1,000 people to follow today - whew my arm was sore at the end...

Now to unfollow those that don't follow me. This was a little more difficult as Twitter restricted my unfollows to 100 for the day and I have another 600 to unfollow. so far today just from that little bit (in 4 hours) I have 37 more follows. I am impressed!

I am making this a part of my daily routine to get the follows and now to start planning the tweets (I also have a ton of content available).

Anyone else doing this?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

not everyone is on Twitter everyday. Give it a week before you unfollow I think. @Steve might weigh in

On the free version you are limited to the number of unfollows. Thus limiting the follows so you aren't over the 10% @Steve mentioned.

4 hrs is long. I did it today while I ate lunch. No time loss.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

What your Twitter account?

@billbelew_com. ...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@belew my twitter id is: @DrBette
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@belew - I will have to follow you tomorrow - am at my limit
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I started this thread with the underlying thought of how important relationships are to make Twitter or Social media work. @Steve made the point in his webinar this morning very effectively.

When someone follows you you follow them back. It's how you say 'Thank you! '

When someone leaves a comment on your site you visit their site and find something good to say. It's how you say thank you.

Let's remember to say thank you. It's how social media works best.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I was brought up in a family, a community, and a country, that for the most part learned, and applied, manners.

There is a scene in one of my favorite movies, A Bridge Too Far, in which one of the Airborne generals is sending a junior officer to seek a portable "Bailey" bridge to replace an actual bridge destroy by the enemy, thus blocking the army's advance. The general admonishes his officer, who will be requesting the bridge from the British, to "Remember to say 'please'!"

When I first came to Kansas, at the age of 48, I regularly relied on my home-spun manners, saying "Thank you," and "You're wecome," as appropriate. People looked at me funny. They seldom said "Thank you," and when I did they responded, "Uh-huh" in a somewhat nervous manner.

I guess it's a cultural thing.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev

It's a cultural thing ... and a generational one.

I am not surprised that many of the 'values' that people seek and aspire to or lift up, are just old-fashioned ones that we grew up with learning from the 'Depression-Era' generation.

Or maybe I am just old.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

You're old, Bill. ;o)
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member nicosuccess private msg quote post Address this user
Could it be the impact of technology perhaps. Thinking about it now, people don't often greet and say thank you on social media platforms. Its straight to the point or even just a picture
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@nicosuccess

Small talk disappeared when SMS came on the scene.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Consider this ...

When seeking to gain more of an impact with social media, all you have to do is find an influencer in your niche ... simply share, comment on and favorite their content... and eventually the influencer will notice and will repay what you are doing by sharing your content, commenting on it... and such like.

This is an example of modern social media manners... if you help me, I'll help you ... and I often thank people on social media and most days people say thank you to me, so for us old people at least... it's still happening.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Am I the strange fellow who value manner and older generations values? Strange that some of my thank you in social media is favorited and retweeted. My recent writing http://tienny.com/who-switch-off-the-light/ in reading the moral of the story is favorited. Then someone add me to the 'Philosophy' Twitter list.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member InfoTemple private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I think it is very important to teach your kids to say sorry and thank you, but now days not many parents are doing that. I feel
now days everyone is after getting something from other people.

The world is changing fast, some changes are good and some are bad.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@InfoTemple Of course, it is important to teach my own child to say please, sorry, thank you and etc.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Two little boys were running, jumping, and screaming on the subway. Their father seemed to ignore them. He looked lost in thought, as though he couldn't be bothered to keep them in line.

Several passengers were becoming visibly agitated. One finally said, in an aggressive tone, "Could you puh-lease tell your children to quiet down!"

He looked up, surprised, and said:

"I'm very sorry. Their mother died this morning and we are on our way home from the hospital."
Post 19 • IP   flag post
That's sad. I understand the times of being lost in thought.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
As much as possible:

"I am compassion in all things."
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Member InfoTemple private msg quote post Address this user
Really sad it hurt so much when you loss someone close to you.
You learn to live without them but never forget them.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
29377 22 22
destitute