BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksNetworking

Have You Made New Friends Online?1120

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I read this morning that 57% of teens have made new friends online.

28% of teens have made more than 5 new friends online.

Have you made new friends online?

I don't mean new clients. I mean new friends.

I have and some of you are here in this forum. I genuinely look forward to seeing their @ sign show up. I engage with them in the inmail. I look forward to meeting them in person. I think about how I can make that in-person meeting happen.

I made a friend a long time back....a kid half my age. He lived in Romania. I ended up flying to his wedding. I visited Transylvania while there. Seriously.

I have made some real friends online. Enemies, too probably.

How about you? Have you made friends online?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Yes, and it has been a wonderful experience. I actually met with them while travelling throughout the US. It was a lot of fun.

And as I participate in a forum such as this, I feel I am making new friends. Here is the deal. The more you participate, you get to know people on a more personal level, you get to know more about their way to handling issues and where you can interact.

I consider you a friend now that I have been hanging around here for a wee bit and posting. Come visit us in Vancouver, BC any time and when I am back in the Bay Area, I will be sure to have coffee with you.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Indeed! I count you as a new friend. By all means let me know when you are in the Bay Area.

I flew in and out of Vancouver not long ago getting on and off a cruise ship to AK.

I'd love to meet up with you sometime.

Very glad to have you here. And eager to see your membership site succeed.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Some of my best friends were met online. Some I only "see" online. A few I have not yet met in person. What an amazing thing the Internet is. This forum has been, and continues to be, a part of that.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Davia private msg quote post Address this user
I have been meeting friends online since the 90's and the "aol"days!

So far I have been lucky to meet really good people! I am excited to be apart of this forum and feel I could come here and talk about anything!

I really enjoy this forum!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I met a guy who left a comment on one of my sites years ago. I ended up staying at his house when I was in Vegas.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
My good friend Dan from Fairhope, Alabama, started as a client. Over the months we became friends and business associates. After a couple of years his holiday travels took him and his wife close enough to our small city that he dropped in and we shared lunch and an afternoon of wonderful discussion. That was 8 years ago. He is a friend and trusted mentor.

My good friend Tim from Sydney, Australia, started as a client. Over the months we became friends and business associates. We still haven't met face to face but we share much that is beyond the business between us, and we look forward to the time when we will share across a table or in a living room together.

My good friend Viviann from Vancouver, Canada, started as a client. This spring she flew to the east cost of the U.S. to retrieve some belongings left in storage there several years ago. She drove a U-Haul van back across the U.S. to Vancouver. Her path took her within a couple of hours drive of our home. Lora and I met her for breakfast one morning at a point along her route.

Those are just three of many. And I look forward to many, many, more.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Most definitely.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member nicosuccess private msg quote post Address this user
I met a ton of people at Afest Mexico last year, but became true friends with a lot of them thanks to the Internet / Skype / FB.

I am doing work for people that I have never met in person, have no issue with trust when in comes to payment and we talk like we have knows each other for years.

Online has made me share more about what I know and experience and I receive just as much in return. To me that is true friendship
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
It was great to meet a lot of the folks from this Forum in person during Internet Prophets Live.

There are definitely folks I've met through Facebook - never having met in person yet - that I'd feel comfortable hosting in my home if they were coming through town.

In some ways I've always imagined being able to do this. But it's still interesting to see how things have evolved within a relatively short amount of time (a few years).
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Even I meet many friends online here and through Wordpress.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member InfoTemple private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I have made few friends on Facebook and twitter. I would love to met some in person one day.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I have made a lot of friendly acquaintances on-line- I get along well with most people. I wouldn't really define them as friends in the way that I define a "friend", someone I have connected with, interacted with, and have had experience with. Its hard to really gauge a person until you have glimpsed into their lives and have gotten a genuine and authentic frame of reference for the persona that they display to others.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Friend vs acquaintance.

A friend who is someone who sticks by you even they know why they shouldn't.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger - there's apparently as many words for different types of romantic relationships in Swedish, as there are for snow in Eskimo..

Here in the States we have friends, acquaintances and maybe a few more descriptors at best.

Often micro-cultures create their own terms and language faster than the main stream can. It's hard to predict what sticks / what doesn't.

Pilots talk about bugging out, sailors joke about bug juice, programmers pull their hair out over bugs..

"Friends" means one thing on Facebook.. another on Twitter.. and yet something else when you're in need.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Good friends don't mind if you bug them. CEOs don't like to be bugged.

CIA agents go to jail if they get caught bugging you.

Next?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Good friends help in times of need.

This is what I just learnt.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Member InfoTemple private msg quote post Address this user
So true, I believe good friends are always there for you. They don't ask any thing in return.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Words are interesting things. There seems to be a hidden language found in them beneath the overt and obvious definition of the words themselves. Words can take on different meaning dependent upon who is being addressed. They can take on meaning with the words that are not there.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger I agree. Some people tend to insert meanings into others' words when others don't mean it.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Member authorbhalla private msg quote post Address this user
People say they have huge friend list on Facebook, thousands of followers on Twitter, G+. But how many of them are genuine. I have seen lots of accounts on twitter with tons of followers but when it comes to retweet none of their followers retweet their tweets or may get couple of retweets. Same I have seen on facebook. I couldn't understand why people accept or send requests just to increase their friend lists. If you want to build your network or friendlist always look for genuine followers Or join forums like this, Where I have already got some good friends over, who trying to help me to overcome my mistakes.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@authorandy

Be sure to watch this video How to Increase Twitter Followers and Engagement given by our own @Steve.

You will have a different opinion of Twitter after that.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@authorandy It does seem to be a numbers game in the beginning-especially if you are building an audience. Twitter seems to be a social squirrel farm- but there are lots of squirrels and you can lead the right ones off of Twitter if you have the right nuts.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@authorandy @lunar_ranger is correct.

Twitter users are coming to this forum from Twitter and spending more than 3 minutes per visit. It's doable.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Member authorbhalla private msg quote post Address this user
@belew
@lunar_ranger

I have started my account on twitter 3 months ago and during first weekend I got more than 100 followers in 3 days but after that I didn't got much response from peoples so I shifted myself towards Facebook and g+. During these 3 months on twitter I have experienced that, I get much response of peoples during weekend(Friday, Saturday and Sunday), But not much during weekdays from Monday till Thursday. Did you guys ever experienced this kind of thing on twitter.

May be it happened because people forget me during weekdays and on weekends they realize their mistakes and as an apology they respond to me.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@authorandy

Take a look at what @bdaoust did in just a couple of days after watching @Steve's webinar.

Look here - More Twitter Followers and Engagement.

Watch here - Increase Twitter Following and Engagement.

Since following @Steve's lead, starting on June 15th, my Twitter following has grown from 11,000 to 25,000. Better yet, they come here to the forum and spend more than 3 minutes each time they come.

Try it. It works.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@authorandy I have been seeing the opposite for SproutLoud. Most of our Twitter engagement and New Follows occurs during the week (different kinda crowd I guess), Facebook is a dud though it does send a small amount of referral traffic to our site, and G+ is used internally (for right now). Its amazing what a little redirection and the right tools can do.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger
Does pay to play apply here?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@morrnel We periodically sponsor/promote posts, we have never paid for followers/likes, etc...and the ones we acquired we're drop in the bucket level. I would like to be able to revive old blogs and resources on Drupal. Kinda wishing we had a WP site.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger WP is easy to put together so why not just do one?
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28685 37 30
destitute