BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksMotivationNetworking

What Record of Yours Would You Like to Break1124

morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
That's what you get when you don't hire a good actor.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
The biggest complaint was there was only one word in the script.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Wow- that went off in a random, wonderful direction.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Sorry, no scripts here.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
My "CoffeePuter" can stream fresh brew to anyone with an Internet connection and a real keyboard. Just tip and pour from the corner of the keyboard (into a cup if you prefer).

Anybody interested in investment shares on an elevated transverse watercourse spanning system in Brooklyn?

Post 30 • IP   flag post

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I read a book earlier this year about The Great Bridge.

I really like David McCullough, this book was a real slog. Way too much "this is this and that is that."

Still a fascinating story of what can be done where nothing has been done before.

I'd like to meet the guy named, "Tunnel." You know, the first guy who thought, "We don't have to go around the mountain. We could go through it." And then he did. He'd be one of my favorite people.
Post 31 • IP   flag post
Speaking of streaming coffee over the internet, do you remember the very first webcam?

Post 32 • IP   flag post
Yep. The Trojan Room coffee pot at Cambridge University. Before it was available by browser it ran on an Acorn Achimedes computer -- an amazingly advanced machine. We met the woman responsible for introducing that computer into North America and we obtained one of the first machines in Canada as part of a development project my wife and I were involved in.

I watched that silly coffee pot with my new Cello web browser in late '93 or early '94. (I'm sounding like my grandfather!) Later I added the traffic cam that watched the intersection (and bus stop) at Hollywood and Vine (THE Hollywood and Vine) which was only slightly less boring than watching coffee drip.
Post 33 • IP   flag post
@Belew,
I'm curious, have you done any analysis of the keywords people are using to get to the forum?

Do you have a way of connecting the searched keyword to someone signing up?
Post 34 • IP   flag post
@Rev,
I had an early webcam set up in my home office and overlooked Lake Minnetonka.

I used to watch ice out in the spring. Needless to say, it didn't need to be high speed.
Post 35 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

No I haven't. As you have heard me in the past I don't do keyword research. At least not in the traditional sense.

additionally I have little control over what people wrote here.

I want people to write what they want in the way they want. I want people to search and come because they found something that a real person wrote.

I do try, unsuccessfully at times, to keep the topics and threads somewhat related to marketing.

You might notice that I do tweak thread titles.

But for the most part I try to let it stay real here and related to marketing.

And I checked not 20 mins ago.... the site is growing week over week with organic traffic. And visitors that come via search stay the longest. 15+ mins on average.
Post 36 • IP   flag post
That's why I asked the question. Much of the content here is random. This has nothing to do with keyword research. It's about what is attracting visitors.

In the matter of one thread we went from talking stats to music, then bands, creation, elephants, comedy, painting, coffee and webcams, bridges, books. None having anything to do with the topic you tried to start.

If this thread attracts visitors, is it because:
- Great title with the correct attraction
- B,S, content having nothing to do with the title attracting visitors and what was it?

How do you determine the length of stay? It took me about 90 minutes to two hours to write this. Gassed two cars and had dinner.
Post 37 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Sometimes I don't quite get the intent of your questions.

I try. ... but I dont. Is there a question here?
Post 38 • IP   flag post
What is causing the attraction? Simple as that.
Post 39 • IP   flag post
Searchers are finding something in a thread that interests them.

Search is now contextual. It's not just keywords. It's about key words, ideas and, yes, threads that seem loosely related but when read through make sense.

We talk marketing here. A lot. We drift off topic. But we start with marketing. We sometimes start off topic and end up back at marketing. We sometimes just talk marketing. And sometimes we start off topic and stay there. 3 out of 4 times marketing is the thread.

If something were to go way off topic I am likely to pull it. But I haven't needed to do that yet.

This forum can be a community where marketers think out loud.

Organic search is still young here. But it's growing. The target niche may end up being a place where marketers go ... to think. Not a bad group at all.

does that make sense?
Post 40 • IP   flag post
Sometimes marketing is more than just marketing. Structured marketing. Marketing is also about attraction. About interest. About participation. And sometimes the best learning (about marketing) comes through example. In many ways, whether we know it or not, we are marketing when we are "on topic" or not.

Content Marketing is first and foremost about content. It's why the word "content" comes first. Inbound marketing is also about content, but especially about delivery. People, your target "market", are attracted to different things. We learn about that attraction by observation, by doing, by experimenting, and by just writing. When what we write about is interesting it is, by definition, attractive.

Dry, technical, on topic, writing is appropriate, of course. Nothing but dry, technical, on topic writing would likely be less than interesting, less than attractive, generally a failure in the marketing sense. A good forum is about a topic but it must also serve that topic by serving its audience -- and its prospective audience.

The way we are drawn from "on topic" into other areas, some completely off topic, is the way the human mind works. To ignore that process would be to fail at marketing. Watching that process, participating in it, understanding it, embracing it, is to understand our market and, thereby, the necessary marketing process.

The on topic bits deliver the information necessary to apply what we observe. Together we have a better forum, providing greater attraction, and leading to greater participation. It is not something that can be crafted, structured, delivered, mechanically. It takes the natural human factor, with limited constraint, in order to occur organically, leading ultimately to greater organic traffic.

A good moderator applies constraint, as their title implies, "in moderation", else they become a controller and the natural flow is disrupted, destroyed, and with it, the organic nature of the traffic to, and the participation in, the forum. It is a matter of "feel" and one of the greatest aspects of this forum is the "touch" its moderator applies.

Thanks, Bill.
Post 41 • IP   flag post
One of the measures of good marketing is how your efforts resonate with your target market. Effective marketing, especially inbound marketing, requires that we engage our audience.

From the "off-topic" sections of the above thread I would observe this:

- the three videos all contained elephants, even the one on coffee; did you notice?

- one of the participants expressed a lack of interest in the subject (and the product) of coffee.

- my off-topic coffee reference lead me, without any particular reason, to make a further off-topic reference to the Brooklyn Bridge which lead the disinterested participant to become engaged -- engaged enough that he shared the current book he is reading.

If engagement isn't successful marketing (at least in part) I don't know what is. If we learn any lesson from it (even in part) then what is "off topic" (coffee) is suddenly "on topic" (marketing).

In a like manner, @morrnel's webcam reference (off topic), which flowed organically from the coffee theme (off topic), lead to my engagement due to recognition of his reference -- the Trojan Room coffee maker. I expect that at least one other observer hear had the same recognition, if silently. Anyone?

Engagement (on topic) doesn't necessarily have to be interactive to count. While less measurable, foundation building (on topic) is as important to sustainability as immediate interaction is to conversion (on topic).

Wanna buy a tooth brush?
Post 42 • IP   flag post
If you drink too much coffee it'll stain your teeth. That's not why I don't drink coffee but...
Post 43 • IP   flag post
I'd like to break the record on course correction.

I'd like to be able to know when I am on the wrong path sooner.

Why does it take me so long?

I'd like to realize sooner the difference between being stubbornly persistent and being just stubborn.

How do you tell the difference?
Post 44 • IP   flag post
27499 44 19
destitute