BillBelew.com
Content MarketingSocial MediaTwitter

Social Media Debate | Best Practices1130

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
A local networking group, a large one backed by a local business newspaper, networking group has just asked me to sit on a panel debate about the best social media platform to use .... based on different scenarios...

It's happening next Thursday... guess I get to go play and stir things up a little.

Should I play nicely?

Question ... which social media platform do you most value and why?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I make a distinction between social media and social networks.

I think your host site is most important. Www.yourbusiness.com should be your medium of choice to go social.

once you have established yourself online you can venture in to the social networks.

Start at home first....

agree? Disagree?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I agree ... your website is the center of your universe and with that, you then go out and promote on social media.... aim being to drive engagement and visitors to your website.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Steve

If you are going to agree with me then maybe I'd better change my mind.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
So which social network is the best place to put your efforts into?

Now that I have my home site established, what should I do next?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew we often agree on the fundamentals ... its just the execution we differ on sometimes... I'm slowly teaching you ... if you recall you used to rubbish Twitter ... now you're embracing it

Perhaps I just grow on people ... and I actually wrote an article on which is the best social media platform for business a year or so back ... and at that time it was Twitter ....

Now it's Twitter and potentially one other ...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I can learn. I just don't like being taught. Thanks for being patient with me and teaching me.

I am working on smth that I think can out perform them all.

I have a bigger platform than mine who has agreed to let me publish for them.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
My biggest concern with Twitter is all the work I am doing there doesn't belong to me.

Twitter can change their game plan.
Twitter can boot me off.
Twitter will not allow me to download for keeping the contact info of followers.
Twitter requires me to do something to get something = never passive.

I learned from @Steve how to benefit from Twitter but it is not mine nor is it long term.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew I once had a business designing email letterheads... we were the first to do this and we had 3000 plus affiliates selling them and we sold over a million of them.

This whole business was built on a platform we didn't own... and when that changed... we had no business.

So, been there done that and learned from it ... that is why my website is key and everything else leads to it. I'm also using Twitter to build up LinkedIn and my email list ... just to try and spread the risk a little.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Recently I automated our Twitter feed using Hootsuite. Engagement went up, Followers, and impressions increased and Twitter referral traffic is just starting to increase as well. For this measurable success I get this sinking feeling though that, although the content is relevant and we're engaging the right people... I'm covering up for a lack of solid content on our end. Though we do produce- its not enough. Volume of tweets seems to be buffering a real issue underneath.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Did you watch @Steve's webinar on Increasing Twitter Followers and Engagement?

He did an incredible job. Lots of real tips.

Still at the very heart of things ... you need good stuff that people want to engage in.

Otherwise you are just pounding a drum.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew What was that tool that you use for reposting old/aged content Bill? I watched it and it was fantastic. We've quadrupled the number of new followers we get a day-and that's just today. I think you said something to the order of: when you get it it will be less of an ahhh that's how to do it and more of a duh... this is so obvious, why wasn't I doing it before?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Revive Old Posts is the name of the plugin.

I think the name changed but that will get you there. I have the $10 version so I can post imgs too.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Is the debate happening this Thurs or Thursday of next week.

I'd like to be a little mouse in the corner. ... will it be recorded?

Perhaps someone with a camera could periscope it on to your Twitter feed?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Next week ... they have another local person doing content ... should prove interesting as his connected with CMI ... lol

It's actually happening in a bottle shop which is typical Australia ...
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Periscope it on your Twitter account?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
How'd that debate go?

Waiting for a full report.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
29150 17 17
destitute