BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspirationMotivation

C-Students More Successful After Graduation?1145

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
An article at Lifehack suggests that C-students are more successful after graduation.

C-students:
1. question validity of academic system?
2. are not mindless followers
3. do not get lost in trying to please superiors
4. think about more things other than grades
5. define success in their own way
6. can leverage abilities of others
7. want to do learn their own way
8. are not perfectionists
9. are satisfied with the minimum effective dose
10. are dreamers

I got a few Cs if I was really disinterested in the subject matter...never worse.
I could usually get Bs without trying.
As came easy enough if the subject matter really interested me.

I lean toward agreeing with the lifehack article unless the student maxed out their efforts intentionally and the best they could, um, hack is a C.

What kind of student were you?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
A letter grade is often insufficient motivation for a student to perform if they're disinterested in the subject material or when they fail to discover any relevant parallels to their own lives or aspirations. Our existing academic model is based on a now irrelevant Prussian model from the 1700-1800's. It sucks the desire and ambition out of a lot of non-conforming and very bright people.

I got a 1570 on my SAT's but graduated with a 2.1 GPA, I was bored, unmotivated, and I'm certain my teachers: 1) felt the same way, or 2) parroted those same reactions from their students. The academic system also crushes their ambitions, desire to innovate, and creativity.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Additionally...how many students and their parents need to have 3 months off every year to work the fields and be prepared for harvest?

Why not shorten the summer break and either get kids through school sooner (imagine not spending the 1st month of each new school year doing review) OR...gosh, maybe we could teach kids more in the 12 years we have them.

There's got to be somebody somewhere working on disrupting the education system. It's broken.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Amen brotha! Where do you think C students find themselves after school? Are they the entrepreneurs who have to work independently because they won't settle for terms or conditions they cannot define themselves?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
I got A's and B's, and did well on tests.

However, I've worked as a word processor, administrative assistant and other supportive office roles most of my working life.

Partly my choice, partly because I would have had to have more schooling to go into some of the careers that interested me.

Maybe it's not exactly relevant, but one of my friends quoted an article that said most people accomplish their best achievements in their 6th-8th decades, or from 60-80 or 90 years old. Maybe that's true.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Well, there are still rural areas where students need to help with the harvest.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

From 0-20 we go to school
From 20-40 we practice the things we learned in school.
From 40-60 we do the things we learned and practiced.
from 60-80 we teach others from our lifelong experiences.

... yeah, there are rural areas...but not like there used to be. And in most cases, it's not the kids who are working the fields any more.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
28192 7 7
destitute