BillBelew.com
Business AdviceCustomer Serviceforum

Where Not Everybody Knows Your Name..1147

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Truth? After my own personal experiences with tango, I realize that "bigger" isn't always better..

Sooo.. any group that I'm involved with these days - I'm not really concerned about bigger, faster..

I think I've mentioned before how Zappo's service culture is something worth looking at..

In fact, that's why they were acquired by Amazon.

No, it wasn't because Jeff Bezo's had a hankering for adding a line of shoes to their inventory. It was their attempt to assimilate the cultural DNA.

But are they really succeeding? and more importantly what lessons do they offer us in growing our own tribes?

Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace

What The NY Times Didn't Tell You In Its Amazon Workplace Expose
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Newzmonkeys private msg quote post Address this user
Saw that you met Joel Com. Joel published a book some years ago called Internet Family Fun which included a piece on a weekly updated story series that I did called Mike Rofone the Roving Reporter. He's a great guy.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

When I first got on Facebook I thought it'd be cool to accumulate the maximum number of 'friends.' Off I went till I got several 1000.

Problem was my feed was inundated with stuff I didn't care about from people I didn't know.

One day I decided to unfriend everyone I didn't know. I got down to something like 200-ish.

Now, I get updates from people I know ... and care about ... and am interested in.

I have Cheers tagged in Netflix and watch it from time to time just to remember what's it like to be in a place, "Where everyone knows your name."
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - y, it's interesting.. that's what it was like for me in tango. People would occasionally come up to me, and act like they knew me but I was like.. "er, hi.."

(Keep in mind that I'm pretty private with introverted tendencies..)

Like many things it was a blessing and curse.

@Newzmonkeys - very cool, y, he's one of those rare cases where you weren't disappointed with meeting him in person!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba It's good to meet in person.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Who is the one person that if you do not see them in X amount of time, you begin to feel like somebody has been missing from your life?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Those whom I feel the connection.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
28311 7 7
destitute