BillBelew.com
BrainstormingSocial Media

Best and Worst Time to Post on Social Media1154

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes, IMHO, infographics are stupid.

This is a good idea, and a lot of hard work went into it/them.
Well done in that regard.

But unless I am missing something, how can you decide the best time to post on social networks when, in theory and practice, you have a worldwide audience?

Really.

What do you think?

Best and Worst Times to Post on Social Media - Infographics

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

In my case my LinkedIn contacts are mostly in California, New York or two EU time zones. I focus my marketing on either California or the EU. So, that simplifies the issue; but still leaves your point as valid.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

Mine are all over the place ...
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my theory - get your audience used to a post time that is convenient for you and then be consistent with it. That way, they will expect to get something from you at a certain time and a certain day each week. It is the consistency that gets you read, not just posting at a certain time.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I like the way you think.

It's easier for your audience to get used to your 1 time zone, than for you to get used to 24.

Well said!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Do I have to explain my time zone?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Funny you should bring up this topic. Just about the same time you were posting I was in another forum where this graph, part of a larger social media study, was being discussed:

The general consensus (me excluded) was that everyone was going to start tweeting during the wee hours in order to get more clicks.

The thing is, you really can't make the conclusion that the 2 a.m. or so hour is better for clicks from that graph, though at first it may seem obvious.

The graph measures received clicks (on tweets) during each hour of the day. The 2 a.m. slot shows the most clicks. One can quickly assume that if you have been posting around noon you have been wasting your time and you will be better served by posting at 2 a.m.

This is simply not so. The graph is only two-dimentional and fails to represent so many other important factors. Let's say that your noon-time tweets have been uninteresting junk that no one clicks on. Just because you post the same tweets at 2 a.m. doesn't mean they will get more clicks. Perhaps the reason for the spike at 2 a.m. ISN'T just the time of day but rather because more of the tweets at that time tend to have better, more interesting, content -- or simply content that matches the audiences interests. In that case the time of day is just incidental.

Or, perhaps the reason for the spike is due to a large number of insomniacs, bored with infomercial offerings, mindlessly surfing and clicking on any tweet that comes along. In this case (equally not measured by the "facts" of the graph) you may get more clicks on your tweets, but to what purpose? Less clicks at noon may be better if that is where your target audience resides.

Stats (real stats) don't lie. That chart is actually fact. But it is in the analysis, interpretation, and application where the results exist. Not in the numbers themselves.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
There is no time online ... especially when/if you have an international audience.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
If people are interested in what you have to say, they will read your work. The time is inconsequential. It is when they sit in front of the console! For me it could be 5 am or it could be midnight. I scan my emails here and there and read the content from those that have my interest.

Time doesn't matter, quality content does.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Timing can matter when there is a literal river of information flowing past your screen.

The more people someone follows, the less likely you are to be seen unless the timing is good and/or they are looking just for you.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew then the question becomes "Do you have a solid analysis of your audience and their locations?"

This way you can tailor your messages for each time slot, like a drip content flow at specific times for specific countries and/or time zones. Not sure if this type of software exists but it would certainly be interesting.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

It's tough to do drip analysis on a worldwide audience, no?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

There must be stats around for the best times for each location. And yes, it would take time to put it together for sure. How valuable would it be to have that type of information?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I think it is likely to depend on the social network you are using, the target audience, and the end game.

It'd be really tough to try to publish at just the right time, say, for your worldwide LinkedIn audience.

And for @Steve's 160K followers on Twitter.

And so on... no?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew @Steve

I agree it would be really tough but certainly something to ponder.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I think your point of being the person look forward to hearing from and come to is a better strategy than trying to find them when they are ready.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
29424 16 16
destitute