BillBelew.com
Business AdviceContent MarketingGenerate Content IdeasWordPress

Content Syndication vs Content Curation1166

dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Hi folks,

Have you used Content Syndication sites like Taboola or Outbrain? What is the difference between Syndication and Curation? For me they appear to be the same since it pushes our content to 3rd party sites.

But how does this is supposed to improve SEO specially since it will be flagged as duplicate content.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

Never used either of those sites, I use article directories for my content. Should be interesting to see what others have to say.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't help with SEO.

It may/could help with traffic if your stuff is any good.

And more traffic, in theory, has a residual effect.

But, when someone clicks on a 3rd party site to get to your site...the 3rd party reaps the benefit because they got the click ... your site just saw some traffic.

I don't use any 3rd party site to push my stuff.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
...on the other hand, syndicating other people's stuff gives you the clicks. target="_blank" means you don't lose the traffic, mostly.

AS for the difference, you know when you go to a museum (or rt gallery, zoo, animal park, or other display attraction) and you are buying tickets at the booth/desk and you see a rack of brochures for other events/attractions? That's syndication. The stuff you actually see inside, whether it belongs to that museum or is there on loan or as part of a traveling "show", is curation.

Your website is the museum. If you link, it's syndication, if you display stuff (actual content or writing about it), that's curation. Sort of.

Syndication is also called "aggregation" when you bring a lot of relevant links together in one place.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Rev thanks for real life examples. I am still not clear how with syndication we get the click vs the curation.

I am using Scoop.it right now to push both my OWN blogs that I write on Linkedin and outside to the web and about 20 Linkedin groups. And my profile views have increased substantially.

The breakdown is something like below:

63% LinkedIn Pulse
25% LinkedIn Profile
13% LinkedIn.com

I would be curious to see how Bill's Linkedin profile breaks down since I suspect he's published heck of a lot more than my 18 posts there.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
This article says you need these five skills to curate content effectively:

He says...

Be curious.
Be observant.
Be fickle.
Be thoughtful.
Be elegant.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
27485 6 6
destitute