BillBelew.com
BacklinksFacebookSEO AdviceSocial MediaTwitter

Best Advertising Advice Please?1178

Member notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all, my online (only) store is fairly new (about 4 months). I'm not completely new to retail after coming from a family of 100 years of owning a store. However, here we are on the internet and I'm finding so many differences. I have not made so much as one sale yet! Discouraging, isn't it?

My husband said last night (after a useless day at the swap meet - $17.00), "How much of a budget would you need to do some effective advertising?" (We felt certain a swapmeet was not the place for my products, but tried it to make sure.) "Figure it out and let me know". Knowing our budget as I do, I know he does not mean a few thousand. Perhaps a couple hundred? I told him I would need to carefully research it before I give him a realistic answer. So, first thing, here I am.

Any advice? I really need to get some sales going.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@notyourmomscloset

Stop! Do not spend my money on advertising.

Do Not Do It!

Do I have your attention?

Do not blow the budget on advertising.

Now, do you have time for a Skype chat?

I will show you an ongoing case study of a grandmother and her retired cop husband who were in a very similar position.

They slepped their products (very heavy) all over California till they were exhausted. I showed them how to build up their own website without spending money. ... except she paid me to teach her how to do it. ... They beat Bed, Bath and Beyond and Macy's and Crate AND Barrel at Christmas the last two years running.

And believe it or not they stated in August. Your timing is perfect.

wanna talk?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@belew Do you mind to share your insights?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@tienny

I don't mind. But it is not a short discussion. And might best be done by call, not by writing it up.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

How about a group call... Skype? Zoom? Many can benefit.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Good idea.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@

Two quick things about your website -- I believe this is it: http://notyourmomscloset.com/...

1) lose the yellow background. See what white can do for you.

2) lose the centered paragraph text. Left justify for viewers' ease of reading, full justify if YOU need balance.

There's more but that's a start. It won't make more sales unless you bring traffic, of course, and I don't want to step on Bill's toes or conflict with advice he may provide. There is always more than one way to do things but too many cooks... well, you know. Those two little things above shouldn't conflict though, and they will make a big difference on first impressions, if only sub-consciously.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev @notyourmomscloset

There's always at least 3 ways to do anything...

The way on the left, the way on the right and the way somewhere in the middle.

It's true... if you throw enough money at anything you can eventually, usually, get your money back.

My aim is for you to throw your money at yourself, your own site, things you can control and that will continue to work for you long after you are done throwing money around.

The case study I mentioned above seems like it would fit really well. This case study is also ongoing and still performing.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Thanks Rev, I appreciate your input. I had an epiphany today - a small one I think. I'm also going to change my motto to: Accessories For You & Your Home, or something to that effect. I like the idea about the left text alignment. Thanks
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I like the idea of a group call. I'll need to reset my Skype. I just don't use it often, but will do so if that's what everyone votes on. It would be great.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@notyourmomscloset

I can set up a zoom webinar to share.

Or a google hangout.

I am easy.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Never used Google hangout, just let me know and I'll be there. I'm on CST in MN
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Let's do Skype.

I'll create a thread and a time. Anyone else interested can sign up.

It'll probably be a bit later in the week to give everyone a chance to opt in if they like.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I'm certainly interested in new ideas and tactics. Thank you @Belew
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
there is nothing wrong with advertising ...
done correctly it works

First question ... who is the target audience, you need this information from them ...

Problems: What are three or more problems or issues that your best customer dedicates time, budget and energy to solving?

What does success look like: What does success look like in the clients’ eyes, this could be revenue growth, or personal development such as a promotion?

Road Blocks: What could prompt your best customer to question whether you can help them achieve their success goals? This is where you begin to uncover the hidden objections such as office politics, prior experience with a company likes your, a lack of trust, etc.

Purchasing Cycle: What process does your best customer follow in exploring, evaluating and selecting a solution that can overcome their perceived road blocks and achieve their success goals?

Decision Making: What will your best customer think about the products offered by your competitors? What aspects will they like, find useful, decide are better than yours, worse than your own. If you really push the boat out you should aim to find this information out from those that purchase from a competitor and those that decide that no solution is right for them.

You'll need this info no matter how your marketing, online, offline, inbound, outbound ... this is basic stuff that most people fail to do, one of the main reasons most online businesses fail.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
What I inherently dislike abt advertising is that when you stop paying for it it stops working.

If you are going to spend money spend it on yourself, your site. Then maybe you will have something to advertise.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew yep... advertising is dead money, but it still has its place ... I would love to see how retargetting works with inbound as the primary first contact driver...

I've not tested that one, yet and I'd love to see how that works as I suspect it potentially bring the best of outbound and inbound together... whilst building a long term inbound goal.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Instead of paid advertising...

1) a foundational online presence (domain, hosting, website).

2) great content to fuel content marketing and organic traffic.

3) SEO - if the content is right, SEO is minimal or optional.

4) social media engagement to bring traffic back to your website.

My 2¢ anyway.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
What @Rev said and in that order.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Those are good points from all of you. I did some messing around last night as far as background, title, etc. I think the biggest part of my confusion is how to get visitors to not only stay, but [i]buy[/]. That would be my "content" I guess rather than a blog, or other written type of page. I'm also in a highly competitive business and I knew that from the start. However, it was what I [i]know[/] and therefore felt better about presenting such items.

I do have some issue with the availability to change some things, etc. with my GoDaddy Online Store that would reflect how I would like it to look, but truly those people are so, so good at being available. They often go beyond why I called to show me something I didn't know.

We'll see, but I sure do look forward to our gathering.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks a lot for this.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@notmymomscloset

"conversion" -- turning "visitors" into "buyers" (something my Rev training prepares me for) is the most difficult part of the equation for most online marketers. This probably because they go at it wrong from the outset.

You speak about "how to get visitors to not only stay, but buy" with the operative word being "get" -- what if your visitors would "want" to buy instead?

Dr. Wayne Dyer says, "When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change." The first step in changing the volume of your sales success is to change how you look at sales. We shouldn't be thinking about how much we can "sell" to visitors to our site. Instead start thinking about why clients (customers, not visitors) would want to come to your site to purchase from you.

If you simply flog your stuff to everyone, you are just one more store selling the same stuff that can be obtained so many other places. That means you have to find reasons to convince visitors to come to your site and then more reasons to get them to part with their money for something they may not even want in the first place. Hard work indeed.

Instead, develop a relationship with people -- individuals in places where you share a common interest, like this forum -- and then share with them (us?) who you are and what you do while you are also adding to the fabric of the group (whatever its topic may be). This develops friendship and establishes trust. Over time we come to know you as THE person to go to when we want a layered knitted poncho with fringe. You will be the poncho expert in our circle.

We come to you, not for you to attempt to sell us something but, rather, because we are ready to purchase something. It seems to take a little longer but in reality it does not. It just takes "different".
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Member MLHarris private msg quote post Address this user
Notyourmomscloset - what's your name?

Yes, Bill, Rev, Steve have given you great advice..however, once you know who your audience is this will help you greatly. Create a VIP club for your buyers..I wrote about this on LinkedIn..https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/want-higher-return-engagement-mari-lyn-harris?trk=pulse_spock-articles

I have a service that you can list your business for free. An app that promotes you..you don't pay until they redeem your offer. It's based on results.

Bette said in the LinkedIn webinar, you want to keep connecting with people as you never know who can refer you. I agree don't pay for advertising, until you reach a point that you can afford it and it's where your customers are.

Mari-Lyn
Post 23 • IP   flag post
29623 23 23
destitute