BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBrainstormingLinkedInNetworking

What Do You Want to Ask LinkedIn?1182

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an email I got from LinkedIn 2 days ago.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for publishing on LinkedIn! At LinkedIn, we want to make it simple to share your ideas and perspectives with professional peers. And what better way to turn that insight into conversation than bringing together amazing writers in person.

We'd like to invite you to meet other members publishing on LinkedIn. Join us Thursday, August 27th for drinks, appetizers, and meeting your fellow writers.

This gathering is happening in San Francisco.

Here's your chance to ask LinkedIn something about publishing on their platform.

Give me your questions and I'll take them along and post the replies here.

What do you want to ask LinkedIn about publishing online?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
You could ask these questions...

1. Assuming you are going to ask why they reduced reach of Long Form....

2. How to increase the reach of Long Form Publishing without spending hours sending messages to your contacts as that now seems to becoming common practice?

3. How they determine Pulse News content, as the rules for this have completely changed?

4. Ask them why they stopped people right justifying images within their content?

5. Ask them if they are going to distinguish between Long Form Posts in peoples news feed and simple updates leading to external websites?

6. Ask them what their long tern end game is for Long Form?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Dude, why aren't you sleeping? 8-)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
You could ask these questions...

1. Assuming you are going to ask why they reduced reach of Long Form.... Yes, this is top of the list.

2. How to increase the reach of Long Form Publishing without spending hours sending messages to your contacts as that now seems to becoming common practice? good question

3. How they determine Pulse News content, as the rules for this have completely changed? good question

4. Ask them why they stopped people right justifying images within their content? okay...

5. Ask them if they are going to distinguish between Long Form Posts in peoples news feed and simple updates leading to external websites? not following you here.

6. Ask them what their long tern end game is for Long Form?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I want to ask them if they can recognize content posted on LI as having been posted elsewhere online?

And, if so, do they "punish" such content?

I want to ask them why so much attention is given to "influencers" when others have influence as well.

Seems like much is weighted on their hand-picked influencers and there's no room for others. The field is not level.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

The trick to running uphill (when the field is tipped in "their" favor) is to be sure YOU have the ball and the big guys are chasing you.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

for now ... I am on LinkedIn's radar ... hence the invite and living locally.

That's a start, eh?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You betcha, Red Rider!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Awesome that you got invited, Bill! Hope you'll share with us what you learned!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@mcc

It's not about will I share but more when will I stop talking about it. 8-)
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Hahaha, that's wonderful!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Ask them about the capping of connections. It seems ridiculous that I have to unconnect with someone just so I can connect with others.

Also the cap on the number of invites you can send is strange. Ask them why they limit the number of invites into a group. Groups are supposed to be interest based, surely there are more than their limit wanting to be invited. Or do they expect us to pay for advertising to get members to join?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Last chance. I am just a few minutes away from walking into LinkedIn.

Got questions?
Post 13 • IP   flag post

At LinkedIn.

Boy, is this guy ugly!
Post 14 • IP   flag post

Keeping LinkedIn above board.
Post 15 • IP   flag post

Post 16 • IP   flag post

They were waiting for me at LinkedIn.

When i asked them why they didn't do the event at LI HQ in Mountain View, they laughed out loud.

"Because they are not as cool as we are here."
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Do share.....
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Okay... I have some answers ... I have their answers.

Keep in mind ... answers don't mean solutions. Nor does answer mean what I was looking for in reply to my question.

I will tell you what I learned from visit with the LinkedIn people last night in a series of posts connected to this thread instead of just one long post.

First - I was expecting several 100 people, publishers high and low. Then an impersonal thanks for being here and a one-sided pitch on how LinkedIn has reached out and bestowed on us a privilege of sorts by being allowed to publish and now meet them.

I was wrong. (It's getting to be a habit for me to be wrong lately - see => Eating Crow Again. Who's cooking?

There were less than 30 people total ... writers and LinkedIn staff included.

The LinkedIn staff present were all young girls ... less than 30.

Very friendly. NOT that kind of friendly.

Very personable. They asked. They listened. They probed. And this was interesting to me ... they asked me about me ... not how they could improve the platform.

There were real conversations with real people at LinkedIn.... even about non-LinkedIn stuff.

The writers present? All sorts. Really ... all sorts.

From the room where we gathered to the restrooms... I walked past the Slideshare group.

I asked if I could do a Periscope...and they scurried about and came back with, "We don't know. Nobody knows." I opted not to.

The atmosphere was warm for such a big company. The people friendly. And the door is open for more such gatherings. More on that in the next thread.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
"... the door is open for more such gatherings."

I will take credit for being a tiny fish who is able to affect change in some very big internet companies.

Example - 5-6 years ago, I noticed somebody in my email list with a google.com email. I reached out to her.

"Hey ...., do you know anybody at Google who works in the AdSense section? I'd like to invite them to one of my Meetups to answer questions for us."

To my surprised, she answered back. "Yes."

Exchange, exchange.

Lo and behold (people do say that still ... or maybe it's just me). Google sent a team of 3 people to my Meetup.

I promoted it and 70 or more people showed up.

We did it again after some time. Same response.

I waited a bit and asked again.

"Sorry, Bill. We won't come. Our experience with you has taught us that this is a good idea. Google has launched its Adsense in Your City" program. We now travel from city to city to set up these town hall style gatherings."

And I was out ... and Google was reaching out. It started with one of my Meetups.

All that to say, "Hey, LinkedIn are you interested in doing more of these style meetings. I have a pretty sizable following not from here (about 35 miles from San Francisco to where I live)... I think I can put a lot of people in the room if you come."

"Sure Bill, that sounds interesting."

And ... well, we'll see.

Watch for another such LinkedIn publishers gathering in a location near you. Or maybe just in a location near me.

If you could affect a change in a company the size of LinkedIn...what would you like to suggest?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Connections - this group had no control, nor insight into the upper limits of connections. Sry @bdaoust No insights.

I did ask them why they are limiting the number of influencers.

I asked, "How can somebody get consideration for being given influencer status?"

Angela ... the head honcho was quite engaged (feigned?). I think now.

I told her I didn't want favorable treatment ... just a level playing field, some transparency in what the considerations are and a chance to reach influencer status even if my 'stuff' was sent to a limited target.

"That's a great idea!" she said. What will come of it? I don't know.

But they are reaching out to more and more people to become influencers.

Is this reason enough to keep publishing at LinkedIn? I think so.

What do you think?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
How is what is pushed to LinkedIn Pulse determined?

The answer they gave both surprised and disappointed me.

*There were probably 5-6 LinkedIn representatives there and I more or less asked the same question to each of them. Not as a group ... but one on one. I thought I might get a more well-rounded answer ... an accurate answer.

I was told that LinkedIn Pulse is now focusing on current events - newsy items - not evergreen topics.

I chased news for a very long time. It's a slog. And the results are temporary at best.

What the LinkedIn Publisher will want to do is give their take on ABC news items affects their industry ... or how they can/should respond to what is going on in the news.

This is not spinning the news. Nor is it telling the news. It's bringing the news into your industry, and because you are an expert, you can give your take on that news item's affect on you, your clients and your industry.

Do that on LinkedIn as a long-form publisher and you will get more visibility. ... or not.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Why the sudden drop in eyeballs?

Nobody knew but the consensus was that they opened up the platform to a very large group and suddenly everybody's content was spread much thinner = everybody got a little and nobody got a lot.

and it hasn't or won't rebound. Live with it.

I think that covers about all I learned.

I met some other writers. Some I thought were weird. All of them thought I was weird.

I don't know how many got invited or how many out of how many who were invited showed up.

One more thread to go.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Even with 30 ppl in the room there were too many people for everyone to remember who is who.

I recommended they create a group for those who attended and invite them in.

call it ... we met at LinkedIn or some such fun. We could all then follow up.

they thought it was a good idea. Lessee what happens with it.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Great observations and reporting across these threads. Thanks.

Microsoft used to do these kind of things about 20 years ago (maybe they still do). I was invited to a couple, with similar observations.

So, either they didn't listen, or I'm somewhat responsible for Windoze 10. Sorry.

Post 25 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Thank you for engaging with us before this LinkedIn meeting. I appreciate it. Your "report" is also appreciated.

Perhaps I missed something.

Do you now understand what LinkedIn's objective was in arranging the meeting that you attended? Do you have any idea what LinkedIn will do with the results?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

They were clear in that they had no overarching objective.

The goal was to get some publishers together and see what happens.

They aim to do more of these kind of meetings in other locations. But they have no immediate plan to do so.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Did they explain why they had restricted follower reach a few months back.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
I asked abt that. They said they weren't aware of it. Their consensus was because the number of publishers increased dramatically and suddenly the reach became diluted.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Reach doesn't "dilute" on it's own. Either there is an algorithm that sets the reach at a specific number, percentage, etc. or reach expands with the number of available users as the membership grows.

I'm surprised they didn't have a more involved plan -- or at least intentions -- for outcomes and future direction. Perhaps they did but weren't open to sharing?

"Let's hold a get-together and see what happens!" doesn't seem like a 21st. century operating plan to me. Am I missing something?
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28709 39 30
destitute