BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness AdviceSEO Advice

Missing a Successful Social Media Habit?1183

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Which of these 7 successful social media habits are you missing?

1. Focus on strategu
2. Analyzing SEO
3. Focus on Interpersonal Communication
4. Writing well
5. Thinking visually
6. Improvising
7. Tracking data

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I feel I am handling all 7 reasonably well. I am always learning and improving but these are pretty basic concepts and once learned they can be readily applied.

One thing I would share is NOT to over analyze your SEO. Done right SEO should become pretty much second nature and should flow kind of like punctuation -- you may not get it exactly right but you will get enough of it right to be effective.

I know people who spend hours checking to see what this little tweak or that little addition did to their results. Did it improve their numbers on this service or that one? It really isn't going to matter that much TODAY!

In most cases they would be better served by re-purposing the time to creating more content.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Spot on about the content.

I am probably weak in focus. I preach it. But I admit to getting distracted from time to time.

I also get tire of working hard and can hope against hope for an easier way to do things.

I am not a visual thinker either. I am much more text based.

I get it when I see what someone else has done. But to do it myself...not so good.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew

@Steve recommended a plugin called Editorial Calendar. Are you using it?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Creating an editorial calendar has long been on my radar.

Creating an editorial calendar is still a long way from being put on my site.

I have a queue of 400+ articles my students have written for me. They are coming out between now and the end of the year.

When that is finished I will be 'satisfied' with the depth of my host site.

From then on I want to write ahead of the curve. Not in response to what is going on. Big difference.

To get ahead I'll need the editorial calendar...that's the goal for next year.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Why wait for next year? This plugin is simple elegance. Almost no learning curve. Use it right out of the box. It has improved my scheduled post productivity by 5 or 6 times.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

The reason I am waiting is I already have the next 4 months planned.

Around December or so I will lay out an editorial calendar of ideas for the coming year.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev It's great it flows feel for you.

@Belew You are in good words and I'm a visual thinker. I'm lack in most and it doesn't deter me to learn to improve.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev yes I use the editorial calendar and wouldn't be without it ... just so darn useful.

As to social media, number one mistake people make as I see it, is people wanting to be all things to all people on all platforms. Its far easier to stay focused and become good at one or two ... almost impossible to do this with all of them.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
The biggest mistake i see is people doing the social before they have established themselves online as someone that should be engaged with.

Build your site. Then go social.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
We all hit the next shiny thing! I find I focus quite well in spurts then it all falls apart because of distractions.

I love the Editorial Calendar @Rev suggested but I also use http://trello.com for projects. That way I have a check list of daily stuff that needs to be done. I am mildly surprised that just by having that check-list, I actually do it it done albeit it is often midnight!

My biggest weakness is the tracking. Too often I just ignore it until it becomes really important, then it is often too late and the project should have been dumped long ago.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Alright alright. I'd better so the editorial calendar sooner than later.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I'll look at the editorial too.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
It was suggested to me to use only 3 social media sites (including a blog or website) to gain sales. It's a bit like a three-legged stool supporting your business. If you get involved in too many you stretch yourself too thin.

Mine are my blogs, twitter and facebook.

I love the idea of the editorial calendar too. I've signed up to trello. Thank you @bdaoust
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Even I have just signed up to trello.

@bdaoust Thank you

@SusanDay Unknowingly, I have spread myself too thin. Recently, I just deleted my tsu.co. I'm still trying to reduce my social media sites.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay @tienny

While the concept is sound, there is no magic number. The three-legged stool analogy is interesting and seductive, but perhaps an incorrect over simplification. Three social media paths might be right for one person, while five, or seven, or a dozen might not be too many for another.

The key here, as with so many things, is to find what really works for you.

@SusanDay, blog, twitter, and facebook sounds like a solid plan.

@tienny, be sure you are deleting the right ones for the right reasons and, likewise, keeping the right ones for the right reasons.

Finding the right balance that works for you, and actually works, is always the right thing to do.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thank you for your suggestions and advise
Post 17 • IP   flag post
29726 17 17
destitute