BillBelew.com
BrainstormingVideo Production

How to Set Up Home Studio Video Production1202

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like I will start creating videos this week.

A well read site has tapped me to do some work for them.

Having always been a text person...writing is my thing, I need help.

what do I need to set up a home studio for video production?

What hardware and software do I need?

My Sunday Is going to be spent setting up shop.

Starting with shopping. What should I buy?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I assume you already have a great microphone (Blue Yeti is what is always recommended).

Your equipment all depends on where you will be shooting and what computer system you use. I am on a PC so here is what I have in place.

I have a portable screen for projection that I use for a background - got mine at Office Depot for $150

Your camera - I use a Nikon P250 but if you are buying one, get one with the built in plug for external sound. Mine has sound but I dub it back over as the sound quality is not there. If shooting from your desktop, I have a great webcam from Logitech HD1080p that gives a very clear picture. I still tend to use the Blue Yeti for the sound instead of the built in sound from the camera.

You could Green screen - just get the right color cloth to do the job.

Software - I use Camtasia Studio and Captivate from Adobe. This is because I have found that one piece of software is not sufficient.

I also use a teleprompter software for my scripts. I found a free one that works well but you may want to purchase one. Up to You on how much you want to invest.

You can make some really great videos with very low cost, creativity is the key.

Have fun!

Almost forgot - lighting. Natural light is great but a light kit that takes away shadows is much better. Most camera stores (like Wolfe) should have inexpensive kits.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Woohoo! Just the sort of information I was looking for.

Now can you advise me on how to get the missus to loosen the purse strings so I can go to Frys and get these things?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
IngHan private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Bill - you'll need to get familiar with Adobe software. I use Adobe Premier and After Effects (for titling and visual effects mainly). You'll need to master titling or have a good partner (like Launch Media) because without it your video will lack the professionally-produced feel. Let me know if you need any help and good luck!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@IngHan

Thanks for the tips.

I am beginning to feel the pressure already.

The last thing I want to do is a lousy job.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Bill

Have a look at this.

That workshop is in process to be moved to another site so it won't be there forever. It was a premium membership access only thing, but I believe all the pages/videos/downloads have their access controls disabled so have at it. If you find something you can't access, let me know and I'll see it gets unlocked for you.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

This is why I love this forum!

Have you created a YT channel yet?

I am testing equipment this weekend. As soon as we figure that out I will do my first video for them.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

Wow!!

I just watched the 11 video tutorials in your Screencasting Workshop. The tutorials and URLs and files for download are very useful. Thank you very much.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I have a YT channel but don't use it much. After your experience I guess I better start!

@Jonnner

You're very welcome. Glad you liked 'em.

@EveryoneElse

Do feel free to check out the video workshop if you like. I just realized I posted the link under @Bill (should have been @Belew -- too early in the morning!) and some might think it was not for public consumption. If I post an offer in an open forum anyone who sees it is welcome to go'n get'em some!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev @Belew

I use my YT channel very little as well, looks like something to start working on. @Rev thanks for the link to the tutorials!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I have bad mouthed everything but blogging for so long that in the past couple of months I have had nothing but crow to eat.

Twitter, then LinkedIn, now YouTube are all working for me one way or the other.

Still... if there were no blog there'd be no other.

Too many ppl want the big numbers without doing the hard stuff first. Speaking of big numbers... passed 30K Twitter followers today.

Blog first. Blog long. Blog deep. Then build on that foundation.

What are you spending most of your time on?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew content is always the key, without it... you have nothing really...

30K ... congrats
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

@Steve

Content is always the foundation. For me, I feel pulled in many directions when it comes to marketing, so I focus on the value I can bring with my content first, then next on my list is Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube with a bit of Pinterest thrown in...at least I am using the same content and pushing it through all the channels. There is a process but back to content first...

Wow 30K
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev

i am looking forward to diving into these tutorials this morning first thing. Or maybe it'll be 2nd, 3rd or 10th thing depending on what else is waiting for me on a Monday morning.

I am definitely looking forward to learning.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
25019 14 14
destitute