BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness AdviceProductivity

anyone purchased email list?1207

dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Hi folks,

Has anyone purchased email lists for their marketing campaigns? Can you share your experience?

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

I have looked into it and concluded it's not a good idea ... for me.

Lists that belong to someone else never perform well for you.

Email performance is based on trust. No trust = bad performance.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I am with you Bill, but I have a rookie CEO who thinks he knows more about SEO that Matt Cutts. He's simply not coach-able.

I just want to give him enough rope to hang himself and come back to realizing that developing organic content on a consistent basis is where we get results. He even is arguing that a few "Quality" posts can out-rank massive "Quantity"! How can I argue with crazy like this?!

I am just hanging around to vest some shares just in case he is able to get this sold or funded.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

Tell you CEO he is going about it wrong. Tell him I said so.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz If your client is not listening to you, sack the client, simple but to the point.

Anyone involved in email list purchases, SPAM is just asking waiting for a court case and instead of helping grow a business all you end up doing is ruining a businesses reputation.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I have personal experience spending thousand of dollars on purchased lists. Lots of opt-outs, the occasional CAN-SPAM complaint (we remove them from future mailings), and on very rare occasion a partner or future client engagement.

We usually get an open rate of between 10-12%- which is GREAT, when you push quantity (we have a persistent sales/promotional streak running through our veins-which is very easy to distinguish- and hard to abolish). There is a lingering feeling in my soul that there is a better way, hence my push with social media- but it accounts for so little (but steadily growing) referral traffic back to the site. Since I am managing content now, I hope to ramp up the quality of our publications and on-site materials- I am hoping to give them something worthwhile to come over to.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Thanks Lunar for your input on the open rate. I also like Steve's idea very much, but I will need to do it next quarter.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
26766 7 7
destitute