BillBelew.com
FeedbackInfographics

When do infographics go into overload?1209

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
There is a lot of info in this graphic ... a lot of info.

How much information is too much for a graphic?

I had to scroll down several times to, um, read this.

I thought graphics were for looking at...not for reading.

Or am I too old school.

what do you think?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
pushpanc private msg quote post Address this user
This is very long.

I have a question - which is the best place to display infographic on a website?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

That infographic is definitely overkill - it could be at least 3 infographics to make a bigger impact.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
At some point it stopped being an infographic and became a graphic essay. A little more and we'd have the beginnings of a graphic novel.

...maybe there's a TV series in there someplace:

Fear The Marketing Dead
Post 4 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
People like pictures... but even that was killing my short attention span.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
Wow - maybe an e-book in the making? I don't personally read anything that long on the net.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@pushpanc

I'l go for after the open one or two sentences of your post.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. It is too long.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
slaqjaw private msg quote post Address this user
If content is put into a graphic won't it kill SEO?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@slaqjaw

Not if the graphic is surrounded by text that explains NOT what is in the graphic but the value of the graphic.

A well done info graphic will be grabbed and posted elsewhere giving credit to where it was found...and THAT is great for SEO.

Make sense?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
slaqjaw private msg quote post Address this user
I.E. the description, etc, that is attached in the background to the image, not necessarily in text on the site?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
the test on the site.

In this image you will see the 10 steps to get better email results. It was researched by ... for ....

Then put in the infographic.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@slaqjaw
Here you go. This is an example of what I mean...though I could have been just a bit more descriptive.

Anatomy of a Successful Email Campaign
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Text which is embedded into an image is not text at all. It is simply pixels, part of the image. This neither helps nor hinders SEO. There is simply no general SEO value for this "text".

Alternate text, that text in the alt="" attribute in the image HTML tag, is beneficial to SEO. Most search engines rely on this to index the image. Some search engines use text in the tile="" attribute.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Add to what @Rev says.

A description of the image aids in the image being found. As does a caption. And as does a description within the post or page where the image is embedded.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I have been doing some local SEO for a client for about the last 30 days or so and, while there is still a lot of work to do in a very competitive market -- his site is only on spot 1, page 4, of the Google SERPs -- I have been able to get two additional sites (3rd party sites with blog posts about, or other references to, the client site) on each of the first, second and third pages.

All seven of these returns, and a couple of others down a little deeper, are all moving up steadily. I expect before long there will be 7 returns for his brand, including his own website, for non-branded queries in his market, dominating the first page of the SERPs. That's good.

But what is interesting, and germane to this thread, is that of the five thumbnail images returned by Google on page 1 or 2 of the SERPs for each of the terms being considered, 4 of the 5 are in reference to my client's brand. That's excellent.

Images are an under utilized, and more easily gained, quantity for SEO simply because they are mostly being overlooked. Make proper use of them in support of your own site's success.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Depending on the content of a site ... 10-15% of traffic to a site will/can/does come via a search for an image on that site.

I tracked that for a long time when I was writing and chasing news.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
27606 17 17
destitute