BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer AdviceFeedback

It's a tactic of the devil. If he can't ...1236

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
"No one can serve two masters. They will hate one and love the other."

This advice is over 2,000 years old. But it's good, er, great advice.

If you try to do 2 things well, you end up doing neither well.

The Chinese have a saying along the lines if you put one foot in each of 2 boats, you'll end up in the drink. (Loose translation).

I am trying to do too many things well right now.

We are launching a year-long course.
I am preparing to deliver some intense training overseas.
I am doing some writing for a couple of big audiences.
I have been tasked to deliver some videos for a well-trafficked site on a new, yet-developed topic.
I am thinking how to implement yet a different marketing strategy and learning some lessons and acquiring some new data.
I have a 2-day seminar coming up.
And ... I have some ideas for bringing more depth to the forum users here ... while it continues to grow.

Too much on my plate?

How do you prioritize when everything you want to do is really worth doing?

It's a tactic of the devil ... If he can't stop you from doing things well, he will give you so many things to do that you don't do anything right.

How do you prioritize?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
And... I am helping a friend organize a big event come very early October!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Now that is keeping busy!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Busy doesn't always mean productive....
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Ah yes, we know this problem very well, don't we?

"How do I prioritize when I have so many things to do?"

The usual answers will show up -- GTD by David Allen, or Zen to Done by Leo Bautista, or Do It Tomorrow by Mark Forster. Someone may suggest that you organize based on due date -- do first the things that are due the soonest. Others have suggested that you start with the task you dislike the most.

My truth is that none of these is the issue, and the whole 'productivity maximization' effort is a distraction.

"Too many things" is a lie of the Mind. It's a lie to get you to feel anxiety, frustration, worry. It's the way the Ego maintains dominion over you.

You only have one thing to do, which is to be who you are. This solves the "endless to do list" dilemma and pressure. You are not responsible to complete every detail on your to do list. I guarantee, when you leave this Earth, your "to do" list will not be complete.

Instead, re-commit to your purpose. Sure, you have things you have promised you will do, and there's lots of ways to organize that commitment. But there's only one way to express your purpose, and it's this: Pick up one task, confirm it aligns with your purpose, and then do it.

And then repeat.

The issue is not how to shuffle tasks that do not support your mission, the issue is to confirm -- every day -- that your purpose and your behavior match.

So ask yourself, "Who am I?" and "What is my purpose in this moment, for today?" and finally, "Who do I serve?"

Then you'll find yourself very, very eager to take on the Adventure.

With love and gratitude,

DonO

ps. I expect some may say, "But wait, how do I organize the eight tasks for this project?" Of course the answer is, you don't. We all know that you are going to do all of those tasks, so just do them and save the time that you would otherwise spend shuffling tasks around a list and calling that work.

And just as obvious, tasks that are on the "critical path" get your attention before ones that are not, which is something we understand and do intuitively. You don't need a certificate in project management to know that you need to ask a colleague to write an article before you can publish it.

Not clear yet? Ok, try this: You prep the food before you cook it. Do the prep for your tasks.

Oh and one more thing -- if your question is, "How do I track all this stuff?" that's a whole 'nother question for another thread, lolz.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

I love hanging out with people smarter than I am. Which is really easy for me to do. There just needs to be any other person in the room.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

First, I think all of those "things" you listed aren't separate things at all. They are all related to content marketing. You are, therefore, only doing ONE thing -- in many places and in many ways.

Your delivery approach may be resulting in some amount of ever reach but that is all about management and discipline, not doing too many "things". You may be mistaking "busy" and "disorganized" for overwhelm. It may feel the same. It isn't.

Next, prioritizing is good. Scheduling too. It's called organization. You know all about that stuff. Time now to sit down, take pen and paper, and get started.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
...oh, and one more thing. The Devil has nothing to do with it. No "out" there!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Dang it! I hate being called out for being disorganized.

Dang it! Dang it!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Hey... one at the beginning, two at the end, cool. You have your "Dang it" spots organized. Good first step.

Next?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite thought when I'm in a similar situation?

How does one eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

How do you fit 4 elephants into a VW bug?

2 in the front and 2 in the back.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Exactly! @Belew
And how do you know there's been an elephant in your fridge?
Footprints in the butter!

We could go on ... but
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

Since you started it...

What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming across the bridge with sunglasses on?

Nothing...he didn't recognize him.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew lol
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew

OMG! Kneel in the presence of the master, Bill. Elephant jokes begin and end with the @Rev. In fact, I have even lived one!

It isn't four Elephants in a VW. ANYBODY could do that! It's FIVE! That is where the skill comes in.

And the sunglasses bit only works if you if you first lay the ground work with t-shirts, running shoes, and jogging shots, not necessarily in that order.

@SusanDay

The butter is good, Grasshopper. I am proud of you!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev

And your contribution?

What did the mouse say to the elephant?

Grandpa, is that you?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

How do you get an elephant in the refrigerator in the first place?

Open door. Insert elephant. Close door.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
What's gray and puts out forest fires?

Smokey the Elephant.

What's Smokey the Elephant's middle name?

The.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Hey! His middle name is the same as the name of our moon. Nice.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Thank you honourable @Rev

I created a collection of dog jokes called Astro's Horrible Hound Howlers or the Worst Dog Jokes Ever - at 99 cents it's not exactly a mortgager coverer but they are so bad there's a warning.

Like:
How do you know a police dog is working undercover?
He's wearing casual clothes.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew No, you leave the fridge door open and a jar of peanut butter on the back shelf!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

A dog cornered a mouse and a baby mouse.

Just as the dog was about to pounce on the mice and eat them the momma mouse went "Woof!" And scared the dog away.

The momma mouse turned to the baby and said, "See. It pays to know a second language."
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Belew lol
I saw a test on different dog breeds and their ability to hunt. They put a mouse in an enclosed pen and then a dog. Different breeds took different times to find it. The mouse that was put in with the Westhighland Terrier died of old age. But now I wonder if it was this mouse!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

I've been thinking of you. How to live stream the 2day. I have a solution. Now I am looking for a better one.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
thank you @Belew !

If it's recorded that would be better and chopped up into digestible chunks (no more than an hour, to answer your other post :-)

Or somebody take some notes please!
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@belew I am also doing a few things that is related to my animation. Improving myself. Now, seems that there is going to another person on board. It'll be good if she can ease my workload.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
29137 27 27
destitute