BillBelew.com
BloggingContent CreationSEOWordPress

Open Directory Project (DMOZ)1238

dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

I am using Market Samurai for my keyword research and all the site we are competing with are registered with DMOZ. Do you register your sites here? What is the beneift?

They claim they are the largest human-edited directory on the web.

http://www.dmoz.org/about.html
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

I have never in 10 years listed a site on DMOZ. It's not needed.

I have never used a tool to do keyword research either.

Write for your target audience. Do it enough and do it well, and you'll rank.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
At one time, a backlink from DMOZ was highly prized for SEO purposes.

That has since largely changed and you can focus your efforts on highly relevant, high quality content.

As Bill points out, when you write for your target audience, you are automatically on the right track. HOWEVER! You also want to understand where that target audience is coming from. If you refer to your main topic as "shoes with a red tint," but no one else does, you can waste a lot of your effort.

D
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

Keywords are not some magic animal that you sprinkle like fairy dust to elevate your posts. Keywords exist by virtue of their natural inclusion in the subject matter about which you write.

Write for your target market -- you know who that is, right? -- and then examine what you write. Find a unique thrust, angel, "keyword" if you must, and use that word/phrase in the prescribed manner for search recognition.

You don't even need to bother with the latter if your content is good, but if you are hooked on the Kool-ade, and need to assuage your SEO soul, follow the mantra according to Yoast, and you will be fine.

The rest of it is just what a school teacher calls "busy-work" or revenue for a 3rd. party. Write enough, write it well, and you don't need anything else.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What @Rev says.

Interestingly 3-word and 4-word keyword PHRASES make up 75% of all search.

It's not which word, but which wordS is your target using.

Search is 'smart' enough now that the bots can determine by context what words mean what ... usually.

Write good stuff that is on target and useful to your target and you'll get found.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
26121 5 5
destitute