BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksProductivity

When do you completely step away?1255

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
There was a season in my life when I allowed myself to become so busy that everyday was filled up.

I was up at 4am and still at it by 10 and 11 pm. Day after day. And I was over 50!

Sitting in church one Sunday the very non-dynamic preacher made a comment that seemed to made in passing.

"You can do more work in 6 days than you can in aeven,"he said.

I was convicted. From that moment on stopped working every Sat at noon and walked away completely till Sunday noon. And he was right. The work got done.

Somehow I have since drifted back into a 7-day, always gotta be at work, doing something mindset. Not nearly as intense as it once was but still I never step away. How come? What happened to me?

How do you completely step away? When/where do you do it?

Got tips?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I suggest that you rethink how you develop your periodic plans and how you prioritize your tasks.

This includes checking the alignment of tasks-to-be-done with established goals; ignoring some tasks; delaying some; delegating more.

Have a reward structure to reward yourself for completed tasks. You should be earning 5-7 rewards per week.

Some days I do this better than others.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

These are great tips.

I admit, I have never been able to reward myself. It's, no doubt, a character flaw of mine. I never feel worthy.

It's not false humility or any such nonsense. I just never feel worthy enough to reward myself.

Put another way, I just don't want for anything. I am not materialistic. I don't drive a super car or live in a super house. Things never please me.

What does please me? That's honestly a tough question for me to answer.

My biggest joy comes when I see other people do what they think they can't.

What kinds of way do you reward yourself? @Jonnner
Post 3 • IP   flag post
A good book is relaxing...but I seldom, okay, I never just read for fun. I read to learn. It's not the same is relaxing or rewarding, is it?

Post 4 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Glad you liked my suggestions.

When I coach startup CEOs; the thing they say changes their life the most ..... is establishing a Reward Structure.

I suggest that you tune your reward structure so that you earn 5-7 rewards per week. Rewards should also be tuned to the magnitude of the achievement; i.e.:
-- A cup of coffee for finally reaching that elusive prospect that you met at the last conference

-- A special dinner for closing a small deal

-- A trip to London for closing that $100K deal. Take your wife. She will ensure that you keep the reward system in place after you share a reward of any size with her.

This is adapted from one of my blog posts at http://www.taligo.com/reward-structure/
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

Great ideas! I like the specifics, too. That helps.

Hmm... I have a long drive today to meet a guy I am partnering with. I'll think on this going and coming.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Now I am learning to rest on Sunday and have more regular sleep. I'm thankful to feel better Nd concentrate better. Some beautiful memories flood my mind and I feel more inspired.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
Once I truly solidified my faith and truly began trusting in Jesus, I learned to put my priorities with God first, family second and ALL ELSE after that. It has worked miracles for me because my priorities were much more neatly in place.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

My Ten Steps To Staying Focused book covers @Jonner's point and nine others. I think you have a copy. First step: take the time to read it again. Actually read it. Sometimes it is tough for us to focus long enough to find the answers we need. Sometimes we have to force the first step(s), but with each step we take the next one becomes easier. Remember, you took your entire life to get where you are. You aren't going to be somewhere else by tomorrow. One step at at time. But YOU gotta decide!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Given that you agree we live in the Present ...
And that we can choose our perception of each moment ...
And that we have Free Will to design our lives, right now, with what we have right now.

Then ...

It would be logical to create something called "An Ideal Day." The ideal day exercise gets you thinking about how you'd like to live your life. The trick to the exercise is that, once you describe your ideal day, you discover how simple it is to live each day as an Ideal Day.

You simply live your life and make choices that are consistent with the design aspects of your Ideal Day.

The ideal day exercise is a fluid one. You get to change / redesign your ideal day as often as you like.

Here's an example of an ideal day to get you started:
Wake up without an alarm clock*
Water, juice, coffee**
Meditate in massage chair 10 minutes
If today is a work day, then plan out the work you'll do today - maximum 4 tasks (you can always add more, but only after you finish the first 4).***
Plan my meals - eat mindfully
Leave my desk by xx time. This gives the 4 tasks necessary urgency to complete, because "I have to finish these before xx time."
Run or tennis
Dinner
Evening reading, television, other entertainment.
Bed by 10:30 pm.

Have fun with this ... make the design of your ideal day an adventure you get to have because you're lucky to have these choices. There are lots of people who still spend more than 75 percent of their day gathering together enough nuts or rice to feed their family just one meal a day.

D

*You can get quite detailed if you like - Wake up naturally, on your [name of] bed, with [certain type] of sheets, with the sun streaming onto your face, with [some task] already done b/c you did it the night before so you don't feel [name of pressure].

**You could say, "Cold pressed orange and carrot juice from my favorite juicing store; small batch-roasted coffee from the best coffee roaster in my town / online."

***And you'd do the same thing with non-work-days. Find out what you love to do and then do it when "I'm not working today." Could be volunteering to serve others, leading Bible study, or watching the finals of the U.S. Open. Could be inviting your bible study group to come over and sort donated clothes while watching the U.S. Open. Sometimes I like to invite a business partner over to shoot the breeze during brunch. So it's not technically work, but somehow a little work gets done.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

A fun exercise ... I wish I had read this before the 2 hour drive I just took. I could have started then.

Thanks!

BTW ... what's your ideal day?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@dono2081

While I agree with your premise, your ideal day sounds like too much work to me. Except for the coffee.

It has been so long since I used an alarm clock, I can't remember when the last time was that I woke up to one. Getting up when I wake up is... Nice!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
The example I gave is my ideal day, lolz.

I also have an ideal week.

One of my ideal day descriptions is to wake up naturally. To achieve that, I adjusted a lot of things: bed earlier, more exercise, less snacking. Ultimately I opened my own business so I could be the boss and dictate my own schedule.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev @dono2081

I have a 4' tall 50 lb alarm clock.

But I usually am up before she is.

Post 14 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I have never thought about my "ideal day". There is some structure to my day its oriented around my work or my family. The rest just evolves... and is rarely conscious.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger
My favorite aspect of the ideal day exercise that 'unlocked' something for me was realizing that, if I wanted to experience an ideal day, it would be reasonable to have to include 'planning for tomorrow's ideal day' in my ideal day activities.

That was an aha moment for me.

-D
Post 16 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@dono2081 There should always be room for planning and personal inventory... which I am long overdue for.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
24976 17 17
destitute