BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness Advice

How Do You Create Reciprocity in Marketing?1261

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I was being interviewed once and somehow the conversation drifted to some work I did for some kids while on an overseas trip.

The interviewer commented, "I'll bet that made you really feel good."

As if ... the reason we do good for others is so that we can feel good about it ourselves ... or get some good in return ... or stack the karma deck in our favor.

"Noooo. That's not why I did that for the kids. I did that for the kids because they didn't have the means to do it for themselves. Nor did they have the means to reciprocate."

Reciprocity is a powerful trigger in marketing and sales. If you get the person you are dealing with to feel they are 'obligated' to buy, you've done well ... in marketing.

But not in life. Sometimes we just give one way.

Are your intentions for doing good to be reciprocated?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Sometimes ... we get what is coming to us.

Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Acts 20:35, Matthew 6:2-4.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

For those who don't get the reference.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

and

"‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’"
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
We recently took a box of sample jewelry and scarves to a women's shelter not far from here. I thought the ladies would get some grins (and maybe even some giggles)as well as use for job interviews, etc. When we do donate anything anywhere we're always asked to fill out a form with the value, etc. on it. Value? It's impossible to determine the "value". We do not fill out the forms we're offered. This is between us and the women who need it; the tax man has nothing to do with it. That's probably in part why we're not the Warren Buffets of the world, but that's okay.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not certain why so many people need to consult the taxman to be generous. I don't fill out the forms either.

The value: priceless.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

It has been my experience we always get what we deserve. The Universe has a wonderful way of balancing the books... both the credits and the debits. Reciprocity is a universal law, not just a word.

Be careful what you ask for.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev Cause and effect rules applied to human action/inaction. Even though the universe is ordered by laws, chaos is often manifested in the laws we don't fully understand or currently lack the ability to comprehend. Our morality and human condition defines where the boundary between light and darkness lies.

How do we measure our existence on this rock? Do the scales of justice/mercy lie in the human condition itself? We don't fully understand the forces that act upon us which effect this balance.

The universe is unfathomable- can there be a universal agreement in regards to what reciprocity means?

Reciprocity in marketing... for a marketer there is always a desired response, reaction, action they want the person on the other end to take. There is purpose and motivation underlying their actions and that is to earn more business. Money, awareness, or involvement, is always the motivation.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Is the universe unfathomable?

See my most recent comment to @morrnel in the Favorite Quotes thread.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

"for a marketer there is always a desired response, reaction, action they want the person on the other end to take"

20th century marketing, certainly. But that is not the marketing paradigm going forward. Or, at least, it doesn't have to be.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
When you're selling a product(s), as I am, the desired goal is for people to purchase (spend money).
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev Force feeding and blasting advertising and promotions has stopped (or else it should stop). The desired end result remains the same, which steps beyond altruistic leaning- $$$.

Today's consumer is evolving (more sophisticated- or more peer lead/influenced?) and is becoming increasingly involved early on in the buying cycle. Marketers are adapting by creating a more responsive model (hence the whole experiential marketing, and community branding thing). You're absolutely right- certain old ways of doing business aren't working quite as well into the 21st century. I agree with you that the paradigm is shifting and it should. My generation (I'm a Millennial) can be lead but is increasingly impatient and resistant to overly promotional or pushy sales approaches. We're more swayed by peers than "authorities", and are more influenced by(or at least given the impression)by community/tribal interactions and communities.

Crafted advertising displaying a youth culture of sex, drugs, and rock still effect us but the perception of authenticity, social/community responsibility, is becoming increasingly more relevant and important now than ever before in cultivating our semi-smug attitudes towards the world.

Give us a couple generations and we will be the fossils.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@notyourmomscloset

"the desired goal is for people to purchase (spend money)"

If that is truly your goal, it's okay. But that means, then, that you need to make plans, strategies, and take actions towards that end. This can lead to a focus on the moment of purchase and getting the "customer" to part with their money, as being the most desired thing.

While that can be done is "nice" ways, the focus tends to feed on itself, and may lead to negative interactions, poor client experiences, and less than desirable results. That is seldom nice, and certainly not good for the bottom line.

Instead, if we focus on the delivery of the best possible product/service, at a fair price, and build those service and support aspects (marketing, delivery, after-market) necessary and entirely with customer satisfaction in mind, we may find that making sales requires less selling and people seek us out for our product and service.

It might not work. Someone would have to be brave enough to try it in the face of so much "installed base" of success and marketing knowledge.

But, hey, what do I know?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
You know a lot and you are right. In my "About Us", I talk about the family business background I came from and hope that I convey that I would rather give more personal service and good value. I guess I "jumped ahead" to the POS when I said the ultimate goal is to make a sale. Instead of calling a phone bank and hoping you get someone well-trained and genuinely caring, all anyone gets when they call us is....well, little ol' me...
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@notyourmomscloset

Hmmm.... maybe I'll call to see.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
If the ultimate goal isn't to make it to the POS than whats the purpose of running a business? You were right before @notyourmomscloset. The distinction is how people go about it... if you're smart you build a relationship of genuine trust and confidence and than you walk with them (while setting up guiding posts) to the end of the rainbow. Of course you know that your website isn't just a big beautiful shopping cart in the digital sky, and that building relationships with satisfied and loyal customers is important- but you're in it to make money (and you really should be- you're not running a charity). I hope you rock this and make a ton of money by doing all that other stuff!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Is everyone familiar with the book Nudge? It is being used by several federal agencies to "encourage" people to behave differently.

Behavioral science seems to be the marketing technique of choice.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
It may have much different reasons - if used in the wrong way it could be considered "control" in the wrong way.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Control is what the others guys are doing... I guess being able to separate yourself from the pack than being extraordinarily ordinary- would be the aim. I think the motivations are all the same though.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Ideally you would partner with someone you can trust the partnership with ... ideally. But in actuality ... doesn't always play out that way.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
28688 20 20
destitute