BillBelew.com
BrainstormingContent CreationVideo Production

Sharing Experiences with Video Emails1286

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
My dad is old-school. Gosh, I am old, so he must be old old-school.

One of his favorite lines, "Leave well enough alone."

You'd think I would know what that means. Okay, I do. But I don't practice it.

I am aiming to give video emailing a try. I have no experience with it. But it seems like a good idea ... more so than just plain old email.

Have you any experience with video emails?

Who's email do you open to watch their video?

Who's doing it right?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I guess I am the wrong person to answer this one. I absolutely dislike video email because I like to scan my messages and don't want to spend the time figuring out what the other person has to say. I want to see the nub of the email in the subject line so I can decide what to do.

I only get into the depth of an email when it pertains to a project I am working on, etc.

The exception: a video email showing me how to do something or a quick update on the progress with charts, diagrams, etc.

I had someone send them all the time but after a bit, I no longer opened them at all, I found them annoying.

Having said that, a link to a video message for an important reason may be viable.

I could not imagine having to open 100 emails every day with a video in it...argh.......
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

The video is not in the email.

It's a short to very short email telling the recipient what they will see/learn if they click through to watch a video that is between 5-7 mins long. Sometimes shorter. But never longer.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It seems to me that some people want to make each function of the Internet over to be, or at least contain, their favorite other function. Or they want to lump everything you might ever want to do into one place. All things for all people.

For me, the different functions have different purposes and different places in the various processes and services in which I am engaged. I prefer to be able to select the right tool for the right job; laser, scalpel, or sledgehammer.

If you want me to look at a video, and you want to to find it through an email contact, write me a brief email telling me what you want me to look at and provide a link. If I'm interested I'll look. If not, well, I won't. It's my choice. You should both expect, and respect, that.

I don't want a video opening automatically on my screen when I'm not prepared for it. I may not have the time. I may not be in the place. I may not have the right tools. I control my time. Not you.

Oh, and while you're at it, don't try to trick me into opening your email with false subject lines claiming this is a resent email because the (non-existent) previous one failed, or this is a reply to my email when I've never sent you one, or... any of several other commonly taught and used gimmicks.

If you are tracking opens, it isn't who's number is bigger than who's. It is about legitimate opens so you can track and determine a better market focus. Tricking people to open your email, visit your page, join your group, or any other thing to inflate numbers just serves to inflate numbers. It does nothing to guide your positive activities, benefit your bottom line or, more importantly, your relationship with your client base.

If you find yourself constantly running and pumping to get new new traffic, new clients, new sales, and you never seem to get there from here, you are probably doing it wrong. It isn't numbers. It isn't hustle. And it certainly isn't lies; even little ones!

Remember the KISS principle? Keep It Simple Stupid. There is wisdom in that basic message. It applies to email, facebook, video, and so much more.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Then it's not "Video Email" -- it's an email with a link. Nothing new there. I get emails with links to videos, blog posts, images, charts, and other resources all the time. You are old school! ;o)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

True - if you are sending an email with a link - then OK but that is not what I perceive video email to be.

I agree with @Rev - don't interrupt a busy person with an embedded video, I may be hiding from my boss and reading other stuff and get surprised! (oh, I am the boss)....

A true video email is just that an email that is the video.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Rev.

I have my speakers off so videos on web pages don't automatically start talking to me.

I don't open an email that consists of formatted images. I mean the images are not loaded and displayed.
I don't even read the entirety of long emails.

Send me the transcript.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Lemme see. You don't read the entire long email but you want the transcript of a 5-7 min video.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I wold expect the transcript attached to a short email describing what is attached.

Examples:

I read the message from @bdaoust and in a moment determined she doesn't like videos.

@Rev's message took a bit longer because he conveyed more than just the issue of email videos.

The post @Rev wrote was 385 words in length.
Reading grade level is 5.8, which is very easy to read.
I read it aloud and took me about 3.5 minutes to read.
It took me about 15-20 seconds to scan it to get the gist of the post.

When reading, all the words need to be processed, including the filler. When reading, only the important words or phrases do.

Our brains work faster than our mouths do.

What is the benefit and who benefits from the video email?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member Rand_Strauss private msg quote post Address this user
> 70% of communication is body language, 23% is voice tone and inflection, and only 7% is your spoken words!

I would have loved for our 2-day seminar to have first been given as a transcript. Then I could have come for 3 hours on Friday and gotten the parts I hadn't seen yet, or worked through the parts that required understanding. I found lots of time-intensive repetition in Bill's presentation, repetition I didn't need, though some probably found it valuable.

And we could have done an hour of presentations to get to know each other instead of repeating everything for each person (and missing many), and then an hour of networking.

I think I could give an effective 5-7 minutes of presentation in a video that would be much more effective than reading the one page on my site that describes the whole thing. My goal is 3 2-minute videos, maybe scribe videos, or a bunch of cartoons.

Maybe I'll send out an email someday inviting people to watch a video, telling them up front why I'm doing it (most people mis-understand it from reading about it, because it's counter-cultural), and I'd tell them the length of the video up-front.

I refuse to watch videos in which one can't see the time left, or can't rewind and fast-forward...

And, WE are not a typical audience. Lots of people like video.

http://singlegrain.com/video-marketing/just-stats-science-video-engagement/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/talkingyourtech/story/2011-10-06/talking-your-tech-jefferson-graham-text-email/50687068/1
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rand_Strauss

That's good feedback. Thx.

I'll be curious to see how well you and the others learned. A year from now we will know, won't we?

It's not much good having a message to share if nobody is listening.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I find these things get good response:
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev, I like whiteboard videos. There are a couple of missing pieces. First "Contact Us". Who? Second "Call to Action". How? The whole thing took less than two minutes, far less than if it were spoken.

@@Rand_Strauss.
When I lived in Shanghai, I watched 93%, no, 94% of most movies. I knew enough of the language to know when the actors were speaking Mandarin or Cantonese.

I also learned then that a good video lasted the distance between two subway stops (about 3 minutes) and fit on the screen of a phone. No iPhones or Androids yet.

Your links reminded me how WeChat has come to dominate.

Three minutes is also popular music length. Except for Soft Parade and a few others.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@mornel, when you say "whiteboard videos", do you mean videoscribe.co, where a hand draws what you see? Contact and/or Call to Action links should be right below it. (And maybe there's a way to put them on the final screen...)
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Correct, it's a nice motion that keeps the viewer engaged. I first saw it in action several years ago when Sir Ken Robinson narrated a Ted Talk.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Great. They're very inexpensive to make.
I GOT THE SITE WRONG! It's videoscribe.co , not .com...
(I just corrected my previous post...) It's like $16.50 a month
Post 16 • IP   flag post
I got to thinking, perhaps you might consider going at this video email another way.

I watched a video recipe on Facebook. Zero spoken words. Perhaps 30 words of text. About 90 seconds long.

I shared my YOMO Coffee video some time back. It was a recipe of sorts as well. It had exactly one spoken word. Less than two minutes long. Go back and watch it.

In both cases, and in fact the videos I enjoy the most are those with little spoken word.

Consider a visual email rather than a talking one.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Quick visual make far more sense. You can get to the point and be done with it.

Perhaps this is a way to add a Periscope into the conversation?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Thanks for the idea. Keep 'em coming.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
29159 19 19
destitute