BillBelew.com
AnalyticsOrganic SearchSEO

100,000v per Month . . . within 9-months1299

Lenderman33 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

Take a look at how Nick Eubanks got 100,000v per month (3,300/day) in 9-months. You can also see more detail on this same case study here. The URL does not seem to be provided for the actual website, which is Japanese, but we will see what we can do about getting that link to you later in this thread.

This is a great case-study on a Content Marketer who achieved 100,000 visitors per month within about 9-months using Google Trends and Google Keyword Planner to plan their content strategy.

Where are you with your site, and what did it take to get you there?

Open Forum.

Thanks,

Erik
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33

Thanks for this. I will take a look... but do you know where the traffic came from?

And the topic?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

This is really interesting to me.

What is missing ... the topic. Some topics are easier to generate page views around = broader base.

How much time/effort/money did they spend building the list they used when they launched?

How many articles did they write around the content over the course of the 9 months?

I read Japanese...I'd like to know the site if they'll share.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Hi Bill - I am researching this as we speak. I will post a reply with more details in a few moments.

Erik
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

I took my first site from 0 to over 100K pvs in the 12th month.

I did no key word research. I had no list. Just content.

I know my topic and I know how many posts I wrote.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
What was your topic and number of posts?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
The topic was news in Asia. Number of posts = abt 1500.

I repeated the effort on amother site and did the same.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Hi Bill,

Looks like it's Nick Eubanks, the topic was Mobile Devices in Japan, and he provided more detail on this same site Here. They published about 10 pieces of content per day for 6-months, which would be about 1,500- 1,800est total within 6-months.

From the author:

"We published on average 10 new pieces of content per day for the first 6 months, and then slowed and only published relevant news as it came out.
. . .We took lessons from the first site and crafted 15 pieces of content targeting a sub-set of keywords, published them and immediately saw a large wave of traffic; almost 4,000 visitors the first day. As I've mentioned in an earlier comment, volume of content and traffic do not have a linear relationship; one piece of content can created tens of thousands of visitors, it all depends on how you build it and what the targets are."

"We started out with a shotgun style approach targeting broad categories like travel, health, shopping, food, etc. We then paid very close attention to what engaged out users and drove conversations, making sure to bring more attention and dedicate more content resources to these verticals, i.e. pumpkin hacking. Over time we found that a handful of categories drove the most growth, so we focused on them. We didn't deprecate the other categories - just slowed the investment of development resources."

Erik
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew - I am not coming up with the website URL so far. Could this be because it's a Japanese character set, and I would not be able to find it?

His name is Nick Eubanks.

Erik
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

It's interesting that he could do this in Japanese when he can't read Japanese. Kudos to him!

If he/they wrote in Japanese you won't find it with an English search.

I am also interested in his monetization strategy and/or CTA.

Less than a minute on site and in that niche.

Still... the numbers are there ... not far from my experience.

My problem was ... It was very early on BEFORE there was anything called SEO and target writing. I just wrote like a mad dog and hoped for the best.

Thanks for passing this on.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew. You are welcome! Perhaps others will find this interesting . . . Anybody you want to name so that we can call them into the discussion? Looks good.

What are your primary website URLs?

Erik
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Chasing trends is also a great way to get traffic ... but it is not sustainable unless you have a devoted team.

Also, the traffic from current events does not convert as well as long-tail content.

I wonder if they are getting traffic from Google News ... this is Google traffic but not pure search.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
We chased news at www.panasianbiz.com and www.risingsunofnihon.com (both are gone now).

We eventually ran out of steam and got buried by the big guys. We lost focus and couldn't keep up with comments = got attacked.

I have the stats and screen shots from sitemeter...before Google Analytics.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I want my new batch of students to see this. They all have visions of 1000s of page views daily ... but don't realize how much work it'll take nor where this traffic might come from.

It is better to get 100 people/day who are customers than 1000/day who are not.

We measure conversions ... not visits. But you need visits first to have something to convert. These guys get a lot of points for their hard work and their transparency report.

I wish I could connect with them.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

I am also curious to know the average word-count of those 10 articles/day. Can you find that anywhere in the write ups?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew - Let me take a look, and see what I can find for you in terms of word-count.

Do your students watch these Forums so that they can get into the discussion? I would love to see their responses and progress compared with the folks from your MBA program, which is detailed here.

Do your students get the same results today as they did in 2010?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

We just launched a new class ... it started this week...and new students are coming in till the end of this month.

The results you refer to were in 2013.

Yes, same results even now.

Once this new batch of students gets into the swing I will be posting their results here as well for everyone to follow along.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew - That's great.

A person that I know here in Boulder, CO operates this website, and about 12-months ago they were at about 8 million visitors per month. Then, suddenly, they jumped to about 12million and I think they got as high as 22 million per month within 6-months - Their domain age is about 13 years. http://www.elephantjournal.com/

Recently, they lost about 30% of their traffic (last week?) due to an apparant Facebook dependence that rendered them subject to a Facebook Algorithm change. Below is a snapshot of the manner in which they grew.

Last I heard . . . They were posting 40 articles per day in Fall of 2014.

What do you mean your sites were attacked? You seem to have decent Domain Authority on each link, and they must be fairly well-established with age and links. Are you planning to re-deploy content on those sites at some point, or are you done with them?

Erik
Post 18 • IP   flag post
We couldn't keep up with the comments. Invariably spam comments got in and this affected us in many ways.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
40 articles per day. What is the word count for these articles?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Elephant Journal writes really short articles.

Curious to know if they can get sustain search engine findability with that.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew.

The 40 articles per day appear to range from from short, 250 word posts to full-length 750 - 1,500 word posts.

When you go to their site, select an article, and scroll-down, you will see that each article contains a "Published Date" and "View Count". Some of their articles get 10,000 views in a week, and some articles get 500 views in a week.

From what I recall, there was limited keyword research, if any, so they were also applying your strategy of simply posting the content that was appeared to be most interesting to them and their readers.

Erik

Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

Thanks for the great discussion here.

Lots of good stuff written well and on topic, consistently posted will generate traffic IF the market is there.

No mystery. Just hard work.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew - Regarding Search Engine Findability . . . I am not certain.

However, what I can say is that their Domain Authority is 71 (Fairly strong), and their Alexa Score places them in the "Top 6,000 websites" They are #5,712 . . . If that means anything to you.

I know that they consider themselves to be fairly dependent upon Facebook Traffic, and a recent Facebook Algorithm change may have reduced their total traffic by about 30%.

I have the Alexa Top 1 Million XLS file if you want a copy. It's apparantly free.

Erik
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

I have followed Alexa for a very long time.

Yes, would love the file ... wcbelew gmail.

I don't know what they mean by dependent on Facebook. Were they buying views or depending on Facebook shares?

It really doesn't matter. In the end, organic will serve them and anyone best...until search changes their algos.

It's best to provide good stuff.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew - Regarding their dependence on Facebook - They apparantly recieve alot of shares from Facebook. Nothing paid.

FB is constantly striving to limit organic reach in order for their FB Ads to become the only way in which to deliver content to users through their platform.

Agreed - Organic is preferred.

Erik
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Thanks again for pointing this out and the discussion.

I will be sharing this with my new class in the coaching call next week IF they don't see it before that.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
I don't know how many sites there are now...but I made the Alexa list that you sent. That's encouraging. 8-)
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Hi @Belew. Yes - Of course! Glad you made it on the Top 1 Million list! Please do loop your students into this, because I would love to see their questions and developmental processes.

Best wishes,

Erik
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

This is the thread I created earlier this week for the new VIP class to introduce themselves.

We are still very early on. Some are still getting their domain names and such. But I have them for a year.

Some have big dreams = will publish a lot. Some not so much.

Watch along!
Post 30 • IP   flag post
25019 31 30
destitute