BillBelew.com
MeetupsMotivationNetworking

What Motivates You to Do the Hard Stuff?1301

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
How do you stay motivated?

When it gets hard, why do you keep going?

I remember when I was doing triathlon training. One of the 'hardest' parts of the training was dealing with the boredom. Day in and day out training. The mental strain required to keep pushing was tougher than the physical exertion.

Numbers keep me motivated. I am hoping that numbers will keep our new 2015 VIP (Very Influential Person) class motivated as well.

At the end of the year, faithful students will have a product or some service to launch. One of the big challenges of a launch is coming up with a list of people to launch to.

We solved that problem @sunilbhaskaran and I have a growing list of Meetup members. These are physical people in the Silicon Valley Bay Area... mostly.

I just checked ... in the last 30 days, our Meetup network has grown by a whopping 987 people! ... We now have 15,532 members in our Meetup groups.

At that pace...by this time next year we will have way over 20,000 members.

Would it motivate you if I told you we'd showcase you to our group of 20-25,000 people a year from now?

All you have to do is be worth showing off.

It would definitely motivate me.

Tell me ... what motivates you to do the hard stuff?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Motivating me is still tough even after doing my Marathon training (talk about boring on your own). My biggest motivation in those days was having a team of people to keep me going. We learned to never run alone unless absolutely necessary. Always have a buddy that had the same goals and could help you stretch yourself to get there.

Today, it is the "buddy" or a person I chat with regularly. Keeping myself on track is much easier when there is an accountability component and not just a goal.

Who is going to hold your feet to the fire if you want to quit and do other more pleasant things?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I had this discussion abt marathon training with a friend earlier this week.

When training for triathlons, then ultramarathons I logged literally 10s of thousands of miles on my bike, 1000s on foot and 100s in the pool.

I can still count on one hand the number of training rides AND runs I did with others.

I never set out to be a loner. I just am I guess. It causes me to wonder how things might have differed had I buddies up.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Looking at me now, it's hard to believe that I set a record in high school for hurdles and ran 6 mile jaunts with the cross-country team and did reasonably well over the 1/4 and full mile (third and second place respectively) -- I was better the longer the distance. I had the "wind" for it. Seems to have transferred to my fingers these days.

Running, like pretty much everything else I've done in my life, was enjoyable. Even those things that many might consider "hard" I found exciting and applied my passion to them. In the worst instances I fell back upon, "Probably a book in there someplace!" and, actually, there usually was.

"If you love what you do you will never have to work a day in your life!"

-- often attributed to Confucius, who also said, "I didn't say half the things people say I said!" (or was that Einstein?) and paraphrased by many modern motivational gurus (or those who want to be) but none-the-less a deep truth.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Most people don't do half the things they say they do either.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Well if we consider the wise old Solomon and his proverbs...

"There's nothing new under the sun." = There are some things that are always the same ... always have been, always will be. Just need to find them.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

One might think so. But what topics? You might think some things have been settled and will, therefore, remain undisputed. Evergreen.

Dinosaurs? The great Egyptian Pyramids? Earliest man? You could have written, and one might argue with considerable knowledge, about each of those topics in the mid 90s and yet just 20 years later nearly everything we thought we knew about those three subjects has either changed or is now under intense scrutiny.

Two maxims come to mind,

"The only thing that is constant is change!" --Heraclitus, Greek philosopher, 535-475 BCE

"When you change the way you look at things, the thins you look at change!" --Dr. Wayne Dyer, spiritual thinker and personal development guide.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I reckon I diaagree. There is nothing new today that was a timeless truth in the days of Solomon.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I'm not sure the point you are making...

"There is nothing new today that was a timeless truth in the days of Solomon."

Is there something missing? Or am I just missing it.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

You allude to the fact that new discoveries now prove things that used to be thought to be true no longer are.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Hardly an allusion.

But I'm still not grasping this sentence:

"There is nothing new today that was a timeless truth in the days of Solomon."

Was it crafted correctly? Or is there a "not" missing?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Good catch. A not is missing. Sry.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

In which case I beg to disagree. But then, Geoff Holder's Fourth Law of Prediction could be said to come into play: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert."
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Indeed. We disagree. We can leave it at that.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew,

Are you suggesting that all of "our" knowledge is just observation and, therefore, a part of all that is -- Universal knowledge (God's knowledge, if you will) -- which has always been there. That we come to "know" it is separate from its actual existence.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You said above, "There's nothing new under the sun." = There are some things that are always the same..."

The equation doesn't quite work for me. To be truly equal, the right side would require "All things are always the same..."
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Philosophy and word parsing are beyond the scope of the forum.

Tell me how your approach will make me a better marketer. Thats what interests me here.

Offline...I can when I feel perky discuss other matters.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew

That's a lame excuse considering you opened the concept. But it's your forum.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Rev Sticks and stones will ... 8-)
Post 19 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Even I wish to have an accountability partner.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Cynthia private msg quote post Address this user
It works for me to have an always positive accountability partner like Sunil, who keeps me motivated and on target, focused. To be "seen" by another and supported makes a big difference. It keeps me from running around in circles. He always told me "you need a team." And I am looking forward to this year's "team!"
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Cynthia

And we are glad to have you on out team, too!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I have several accountability partners in various guises and my own dreams of success motivate me everyday.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@SudanDay Oh I need accountability partner.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
My dogs make me accountable for the amount of exercise I get each day.

The guinea pigs make sure I get out in the fresh air to feed them.

Astro's owner makes sure that I keep her beloved pooch's life in print.

My partner asks me what I have done each day - I figure it's best to achieve something to tell him about rather than tell a fib.

And now, I have Bill and Sunil who I am accountable to too!

Some are accidental while others have their own motivation.

Have you thought of asking someone, @tienny?
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay My business partner and her to introduce artists and writers from her church. I feel that my growth is stalled in the current church I go to. Lonely ranger. I prefer to meet in person. Most likely, I feel exhausted from too much exposure to computer and am attempting to accomplish responsibility.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I agree that physical contact helps motivate and inspire us more. @tienny
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Yes. It does help. My business partner helps me to understand more diets benefits and to self-heal from my chronic pain.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
That's lovely, @tienny
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Thanks
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26098 30 30
destitute