BillBelew.com
Business AdviceCareer AdviceContent Marketing

Salary Guide for Marketers and Advertisers1305

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
How much do marketers and advertisers make? Should make?

If you are interviewing for a job in marketing or social media, how much should you ask for?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Oh...wow- this is depressing. Is this West Coast or National salary averages?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

What? You make too much? Bring the average up?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
No... I make MUCH MUCH less.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
That is depressing! What's your plan for getting out of the rut?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I see the solution to this would be working for myself- but it would take a lot of time for me to make enough money to make a complete exit from working 9-5pm (I would be willing to work so much more, provided I knew I got what I put into it). My wife and I are comfortable- mostly because we have 2 incomes coming in, but I am a horrible when it comes to understanding or getting what I'm worth.

I have heard (probably on this forum)that there is nothing more addictive or harmful than carbohydrates, heroine, and a salary.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger

Some industries pay more than other industries. Also larger companies usually pay more than smaller companies. Many companies pay more in expensive cities and less in cities with a lower cost of living.

So a survey with more demographic detail helps you understand your situation better than summary information.

But ... within a vertical market in the same city for companies of similar sizes there will still be differences.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

No time like the present to get started on working for yourself.

What's keeping you back?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't great to know you are being overpaid?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
This is saddening. I computed the high salary here for SEO/Social Media and it was just 10% of the average.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner I live in one of the most expensive parts of the US Ft.Lauderdale/Miami Florida but for a small, 100-150 person, marketing platform technology firm, I either have several years of experience with or am developing in about 10 of those listed jobs (I am certainly doing the work!)

@Belew Whats keeping you back? Insecurity, lack of full confidence, habit, obligation, money.

@Davia helped me take the plunge into business ownership (which I am forever grateful and indebted to her for). Its scary, but exhilarating! I have become so accustomed to working for other people and having them price, position, map the stars and paint the sky. I am still ill prepared to organize and build (but learning from my experience what to do and not do). I have a vision and skill, but lack the functional understanding on how to run a business (but I am learning). I have always had projects and income sources on the side- but never any cohesive direction in place.

I am confident that I will learn to execute a strategy and make a profit- still trying to get buy in from the wife. She doesn't believe its going to work because I am not making any money right now. Her view is that business follows business, and if there is no money from the onset there is no, little reason to invest in it.

I work for a good company helmed by a disorganized but well intentioned lot. They're tight, hard working- but lacking cohesive direction and strategy. Organizationally we're pieced together and it puts us in a position where we are reactive to our market. Our vertical leadership is due to our early entry and tenacity- and our capable and dedicated sales team.

@KitK 10% I can understand why US based firms are sending their work over there- when they can get away with paying so little. The whole system is rigged man!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger makes good points.

I'd like to understand the real reason Robert Half published this chart. Create envy?

HR, or what ever you want to call them these days, has a very tight reign on salaries. The numbers for corporate America will be very different from a small business.

Most importantly, don't let these number either encourage or discourage you. They are just numbers.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
25019 12 12
destitute