BillBelew.com
BloggingContent CreationEditingIntroduction

Transitioning from Author to Ghostwriter1312

MelanieVotaw private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, all. I'm a book author and freelance content creator/writer/editor, but up to this point, I have primarily created content for others. Now, I'm getting ready to put up my own blog and must begin the marketing for myself. So, I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and offering whatever I can in return.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Oops! First time out, and I made a mistake. I thought I was posting in the Introduction thread, but I created a new thread instead. Sorry! Is there a way to delete the entire thread?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Once I thought I made a mistake but I was wrong.
Hi @MelanieVotaw. You appear to be a leader not a follower.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@MelanieVotaw Welcome to the group.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome! The people here are really helpful. I am new here myself.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@MelanieVotaw welcome to the forum ... you'll learn lots here ... just be careful of me, I'll get you thinking and that's trouble for some...

Look forward to chatting with you.

@KitK Who is helpful, I thought that was against the rules... hmm
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@MelanieVotaw

No worries! Glad to have you here.

What's your book about? Is there someplace online where we can take a look?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Thank you! I have several books, actually, on a variety of subjects, some of which are now out of print. You can look me up on Amazon, but now, I work primarily as a ghostwriter for others. I'm often asked by publishers and literary agents to help people sort out their books. To be honest, that's more lucrative than writing my own books, and it's also more collaborative (not so solitary). Twitter: @melanievotaw
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@MelanieVotaw

But when you work others you get paid by the project.

When you write for yourself...there's the opportunity for long-term residual, no?

For me ... it's the residual that's desirable.

How much are ghostwriters allowed to share about what they write and who for?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Yes, you get paid faster and usually more when you write for others. The thing is that I'm a professional writer. So, THAT'S what I do. My other books were done primarily at the request of the publisher, so they're all across the map in terms of subject matter. That means my brand is "writer" not "expert" on another subject, although I did begin to build a brand in a subject area at one time.

Now, I have a brand that I want to establish and will be working toward my own books on that subject. So, yes, in that area, I'll be going for the long-term residual that you mentioned. Books don't make you that much money when you're the author, but they're still the best calling card to establish your brand.

As for how much ghostwriters can disclose, it depends on each individual contract. In most cases, you really are a ghost hidden behind the scenes. Some authors are OK disclosing it, however. I just went to a Hay House workshop as a guest over the weekend, in which one of my authors fully disclosed that I was her ghostwriter. But that's rare.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@MelanieVotaw

Thanks for the rare peek into the world of the ghostwriter.

You are spot on about books not making money but being a great calling card.

Too many people see the end game as being a written book. It's more likely just the beginning.

May I ask what the 'brand you want to establish' is?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I'd actually rather not say just yet...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@MelanieVotaw

No worries. I know the answer if I do NOT ask.

Be sure to let us/me know here how we can encourage you.

I'd very much like you to succeed at it. Nothing is more fun for me than seeing others achieve their ambitions.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Thanks! I will. I'm still trying to figure that out.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
24973 14 14
destitute