BillBelew.com
Content CreationGenerate Content Ideas

Everyone Does Content Wrong1337

Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Erik @Lenderman33

Thanks for adding real value to this Forum!

An article titled "Malcontent Episode #1: Everyone Does Content Wrong" at www.copypress.com/blog/malcontent-001/ says:

"If you’re approaching it from the standpoint of content first, I think as a marketer, I think you are already approaching it wrong. KPIs need to come first. Goals need to come first. The “Whys” of the campaign need to come first, and that’s really where I see things going amiss."

Would you please comment on this?

Thanks
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonnner

Agreed! @Lenderman33 is doing a great job of adding value here.

I don't know where your quote from and I may be mincing words but I think the reader/customer comes first.

Every marketer should be asking the questions, "How can I please the customer? How can I get the message across in a way that benefits the would-be client the most? What's the best medium for reaching my avatar?"

After that you can ask about KPIs and how you will measure the effectiveness on delivering on the questions above.

Then.. you can decide on what is the best kind of content, and what content to deliver.

What do you think @jonner?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I agree that the customers and prospects are always the first consideration.

Every marketer should be asking the questions, "How can I please the customer? How can I get the message across in a way that benefits our future client the most? What's the best medium for reaching each of my prospect personas? What approach will be most effective in increasing shareholder value?"

But I find it difficult to thoroughly understand how these three questions impact both my blogging strategy and blog post #238.

It seems like it should not be too hard to establish KPIs ... until I realize that I do not really understand the answers to those above questions.

If I understood the above; then it would be easy to focus my posts on the right topics. But since I do not; I just choose blog post topics based on which subjects receive the most attention per Google Analytics.

My blog is in its early days. So my traffic is low and my stats are nowhere near statistical significance. The implications of relative importance derived from each of the following sources are different; client advisory and coaching face-to-face experiences; Google Analytics information on website traffic; Twitter Analytics information on my tweets.

I tend to prioritize new blog post topics based on my face-to-face experiences with secondary consideration for website traffic and partly neglecting Tweet information based on my opinions.

But the limited nature of the data implies that my approach is dangerously simplistic. Further I am assuming that using ground truth from face-to-face experience is most relevant in trying to optimize selection of topics for the different world of online interactions.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

The marketer does NOT need to give everything away. It is not the marketer's job to solved the problems of all his/her readers. The marketer will, in time, convince his/her readers/viewers/followers/connections that s/he is able to solve the problems of some.

Content marketing is about establishing relationships, building trust, becoming the go-to person for some. Nobody can solve everyone's problems.

There are 4 kinds of content you should be creating ... and multiple ways to create/distribute it.

1. Teach your would-be clients something.
2. Entertain your would-be clients in an appropriate and relevant way.
3. Inspire your would-be clients so they can do better.
4. Lead your would-be clients so they can be better.

You need not do all 4 every time. You can do more than 1 at a time.

In the end ... the marketer wants the would-be client to think - hey, I wonder what @Jonner thinks about (insert product, idea, new study, service ...)

Does this make sense?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

Here's an example of an inspirational thread about soldiers and how they make me a better content marketer, make that a better person.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
26766 5 5
destitute