BillBelew.com
InspirationProductivitySEO

How Long Before Leaving The Search Sandbox?1349

Lenderman33 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

What can you expect during the first 6 months of content marketing implementation?

According to Bill Belew's article in Search Engine Journal, those who have recently begun to implement their content marketing strategies may be aware that a recently purchased domain seems to generate limited traction during the first 1 - 6 months. The reason for this is the "Google Sandbox". That is - Google may choose to artificially suppress the rankings of new websites in order to deter Spam sites from manipulating their search engine during brief campaigns.

In the past, Spam sites would go live on a keyword, implement black-hat link building tactics, rise to the 1st page of Google, and their Spam sites would be banned. The Spam sites did not mind this, because they generated the ROI that they were looking to recoup during the brief period of time when they were able to secure traffic.

As a result, Google has implemented the Sandbox.

Take a look at Bill Belew's article on the subject here.

What was your experience of this?

Thanks!

Erik
Post 1 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you! I was praying for some kind of motivation!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
You and me both @KitK! It seems like we give our life to building a website/biz and see nothing and, yes, I was just recently saying I might as well give up. My attitude has changed.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Hi @notyourmomscloset and @KitK,

What is your website URL, total number of posts, domain age, and traffic level?

Thanks!

Erik
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Hey Erik! I believe I answered you through PM... can you check? Stats, I am too shy to give away yet. LOL. Domain was just purchased June this year, but I only started posting regularly July due to the death of my father in law.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Hi @KitK,

What was the date that your domain was created?

Erik
Post 6 • IP   flag post
June 10th

A friend of mine taught me of a nifty trick to determine that, so I can snoop on other websites. Try whois.net...

May I ask for what purposes are you researching the member's website data?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourmomscloset
You and me both @KitK! It seems like we give our life to building a website/biz and see nothing and, yes, I was just recently saying I might as well give up. My attitude has changed.

I know! I write and write and write and it seems like I was living on traffic through Pinterest. It hardly converts. I guess we have to keep on going... I have around two more months in the sandbox.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Hi @KitK,

December 10th may produce a small increase in web-traffic. The first 6-months will be artificially suppressed by Google.

The 12-month mark will also be correlated with a small increase in traffic.

Keep us posted!

Erik
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33

Notice (in the graph in you opening post) that orphan leading spike in the sandbox run-in. I noticed during @Belew's presentation that most (all but one?) of his charts had a similar, and often greater, stand-alone spike in roughly the same spot.

What's your take on it?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Hi @Rev,

Thank you for this message! I do not know what may have caused that anomaly.

: )

Erik
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33 @Rev

Those spikes more often than not are the student trying to entice their social network following to come to their site and artificially show interest.

The spikes were never sustainable.

I don't think Google artificially suppresses as much as it takes that much time to earn recognition.

Googles's not holding a site down. Rather it's letting the site bide it's time to prove worthy of being ranked higher.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

Is it an anomaly or an event? Considering its somewhat regular occurrence, I suspect it is relevant data that needs to be considered.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Those spikes don't occur across the board.

They are students' one time, or multiple time try to artificially increase their traffic.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Can you be a little more specific about "try to artificially increase" traffic? What was done? Was it part of the presecribed exercise? Lessons learned?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Rev they promoted to Facebook for the most part.

It was not prescribed. It was discouraged.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew,

Are you saying that it takes several months to get solid results on Google but Facebook will give results in half the time?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Rev

No. I am saying you can get your friends on Facebook to come to your site. But you can't get them to continue to come.

Search will perform better once you are out of the sandbox.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
And you sure as heck can't make them buy either.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Re: facebook visits... I have a great case study that demonstrates Facebook fatigue in visual form.

I should put that up here.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
24991 20 20
destitute