BillBelew.com
AnalyticsBusiness AdviceContent CreationmarketingMotivation

How Barbara Corcoran Hacked Her PR Growth1358

Member yathso private msg quote post Address this user
80/20 rule: One little thing she did that gave her massive growth: She took her home sales data from her real estate firm and made a report call The Corcoran Report and send it to every single writer at The New York Times. The Times then ran a story based on her report a week later and the rest was history. FYI, this was in 1986 before there was internet/social media.

Her Background:
For those who don't know who she is, she's a real estate mogul on the Shark Tank TV show who's most known for turning $1000 into $66 million.

Key takeaway:
Curated data is very valuable and I believe every business has some type of valuable information they can share or sell to the world. Think about what data/stats you can easily put together creatively to give you a boost in growth.

Here's the link on the article:
http://entm.ag/1DyGafR

Here's a Barbara Corcoran interview that really touched me (lots of business/marketing golden nuggets in there):
http://mixergy.com/interviews/barbara-corcoran-shark-interview/

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member feedster private msg quote post Address this user
I read an article on LinkedIn about this very thing.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedster
I read an article on LinkedIn about this very thing.

Yes. This was one of her popular tips on what actually worked.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
But what worked in 1986 has a much bigger struggle to happen 30 years later.

the space is much more crowded now, no?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
But what worked in 1986 has a much bigger struggle to happen 30 years later.

the space is much more crowded now, no?

I agree. The exact strategy of sending journalists "average home prices data" may not work any more because they now have other ways to get that data but I think what still works is the general concept of taking your existing data and curating it in a way that's both useful and unique to journalists.

For instance Bill, for your business, you may want to push the theory of a search engine sandbox actually exists. You collect all of your google analytics data and screenshots of your past students that supports the sandbox theory. Take a weekend and turn it into a press kit that journalists can understand and use. Then just send it out to as many tech journalist as you want, especially the ones who likes to write about search engines and organic growth.

A weekend of effort and time investment may lead to something big, you never know!

In addition, perhaps you can follow this guide to build your press kit:
http://austenallred.com/user-acquisition/book/chapter/press/
Post 5 • IP   flag post
For instance Bill, for your business, you may want to push the theory of a search engine sandbox actually exists. You collect all of your google analytics data and screenshots of your past students that supports the sandbox theory. Take a weekend and turn it into a press kit that journalists can understand and use. Then just send it out to as many tech journalist as you want, especially the ones who likes to write about search engines and organic growth.

Now that's a great idea ... and yet another way to repurpose content.

But ... how to reach/find all those journalists?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Quote:

Now that's a great idea ... and yet another way to repurpose content.

But ... how to reach/find all those journalists?

The awesome guide I posted above actually shows you how:
http://austenallred.com/user-acquisition/book/chapter/press/

"We’ll take you through step by step, and by the end of this guide it should take you less than a day to email up to 1,000 relevant press contacts with all the right information and messaging that would make them want to write about you. Even the crappiest companies should get a half dozen or so mentions in the press when doing so."
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@yathso

Do you know anyone who has done this?

I am keen to give it a try...but it's not a quick action.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
The big steps is doing the leg work up front to get the emails... and contact information.

Then creating the report ...

From then on...it's just adding more and more reports over time.

I'd like to see a case study or two or three of people who have tried this. And if there aren't any... I am keen to create a few of my own.

If I only can find the time... which gives me an idea.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Quote:
@yathso

Do you know anyone who has done this?

I am keen to give it a try...but it's not a quick action.

Other than the author, unfortunately I don't.

but here's where I originally found the guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/startups/comments/3l2x1t/revised_and_updated_a_complete_stepbystep/
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Quote:
The big steps is doing the leg work up front to get the emails... and contact information.

Then creating the report ...

From then on...it's just adding more and more reports over time.

I'd like to see a case study or two or three of people who have tried this. And if there aren't any... I am keen to create a few of my own.

If I only can find the time... which gives me an idea.

any way to leverage your oversea assistants to get the emails and contact information?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
29725 11 11
destitute