BillBelew.com
BrainstormingContent CreationWordPress

Mis-behaving Permalinks !1359

dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

I am sure I am making a very obvious mistake that I hope you can point out to me. I am developing some new posts that I want to publish under a new menu item called "News". I have been using "custom structure" for my Permalink for 5 years and its' set to:

domain.com/%category%/%postname%/

And I have created a new category called "news" and a menu item for it called "News" which appears fine. The new content appears in the correct category (news) inside WP editor.

They show up on the editor as :
domain.com/news/post name

However, when I publish these drafts, they show up on under Blog page menu item and NOT the News page!

What am I doing wrong here? Nothing shows up under News page!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Did you check blog as a category as well as news?

if so it'll show up in both of them...blog/ and news/
Post 2 • IP   flag post
dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
No Bill. Blog was not set as a category.

I fixed it on the site with Genesis theme. It was the Page Attribute on the News page! I had change it from the Default Template to "Blog" for the posts to appear under News menu item!

I have to see what I will need to do on the site that don't have the page templates.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz Currently, my category in How To DIY and other tabs continually gives link problem. I have been trying to fix it but to no avail. Do changing the theme helps?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz Who knows and who cares ... I could probably solve it in 30 seconds however as I have previously mentioned, you're one of lifes takers and not a giver... and this giver has stopped giving to every taker.

Suggest you start getting actively involved if you want my help and the help of others that think as I do ...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

Are you creating the menu item "News" in Dashboard --> Appearance --> Menus --> Categories ? That should make a menu item to a page that will display posts from the blog category you have selected (news).

If you are doing this and it is still not working, please feel free to PM me with contact details and we can get together to resolve this.

Note, however, that posts in this category will still appear on the blog page unless you exclude the category with a plugin like Ultimate Category Excluder or Advanced Category Excluder or any of several others.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
26778 6 6
destitute