BillBelew.com
Content CreationHumor

Do You Use Filler Words When You Write/Talk?1361

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Uh is out ... Like, Stuff, You Know is in.

I was at a men's study this morning. For one reason or another I had a paper and a piece of pen in front of me.

I've long ago dissed paper and pen but this class requires it.

Anyhow... I found myself counting the number of times this guy was using filler words when he talked.

In about 8 minutes he used the word "Like" 57 times, "Stuff" 30 times and "You know" 24 times.

I was like, you know, ready to hang up, like, listening you know to him say stuff about, like stuff ... you know?

I sometimes think that content creators write long-form just to fill up a page.

The last requirement for creating content should be length or number of words. You know?

The first requirement should be to answer the question.

Do you sometimes come across filler words, stuff that has obviously been stretched out to meet some artificial word count?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

It is not just filler words, it is in your style that often find you doing the same thing over and over. For example, I love to use the ellipse when writing... or I find myself using items such as however, next, so, etc.

What habits do you find in your writing...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I use an elipse often as well ...

It allows me to let my readers wonder what else I might have said ... to keep them engaged.

Other habits ... hmm... does avoiding the keyboard count?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Keyboards have a mind of their own, DragonSpeak allows you to see you real habits...
Post 4 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I like adverbs way too much 😜
Post 5 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
I've been told of the filler words I used during a presentation . . . the exact same filler words used by those who critiqued.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I started breaking the use of filler words- once someone I knew had the courage to bring them to my attention, my repetitious uses of: "you know", "ummm", "yeah", "so" being some of my worst offences. I have learned that a properly spaced pause and better preparation beforehand were the antidote I needed.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Good point. Pauses can be much more effective than filler words.

Speaking of courage... maybe I need to let this person know ... the person I counted.

Thanks for the kick.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I am sure they will appreciate it if you approached them in a light, coaching, and empathetic way. Words have power and it can be empowering to know how to use them well.

I guess people use filler words to dress their insecurities, disorganization, inability to verbalize thoughts (especially when it goes off script), nervousness, and at times lack of caring... There is an entire generation (and generational creep) of people interfacing with electronic devices and eliminating human-to-human interactions- the nuances of human communication are either being ignored or completely forgotten- there is much more depth and complexity in human 2 human communication vs. human 2 digital 2 human communication.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger I emailed him. Thanks for the nudge.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
25991 10 10
destitute