BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness Advice

How Do You Determine Your Sale Price Point?1368

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am reading a biography of Will Rogers written by his wife.

I expected to read about a lot of his Rogers-isms. Instead I am getting some insight to his down home nature.

I like Will Rogers. He has a cool first name. Wait! I have the same one. 8-)

Will Rogers said, "It's not what you can ask, it's what you can get."

Meaning... you can ask for the world, but if nobody pays the price, you, your product isn't worth that much.

You can say you are worth "$X, but if nobody has paid you that much, then simply put you are not worth that much.

How *do* you decide your price point?

I met with a partner this morning and we wrestled with this considerably.

It occurred to me to ask the forum. There are some really smart people here with deep experience.

Hod do you decide your price point? Got wisdom?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Will Rogers would have loved today. Can you imagine his commentaries? There are a lot of junk IM ebooks worth $47, or even $97, that you can get for just $7 if you act right now! He would have a bit of fun with that, I suspect.

But hey, isn't he the guy who had his horse stuffed? ;o)
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev WR was your neighbor, no?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Yep. Neighbor to the south. Just head on down I-35 bout as far as you see them three big trees. But not there. Go back a bit and make a left and you'll find it. Look for a surrey with some fringe on top.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I never realized just how popular he became ... till I read the book.

Reading. Ah, the rewards. I should do more of it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member shari323 private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on what you are selling, who your customers are, if you are selling this product for the first time, or if it's a new customer you are trying to get etc. Need more details.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I continue to struggle with this. I don't want to sell myself for less than I am worth and be exploited due to my ignorance and on the other end I don't want to set the price too high that I wouldn't be able to provide the value they're expecting. I can let the market set the price- but I want to be different, its got to be worth it for them and me. Nobody wants to cheat themselves of business but its dangerous to inflate their self-worth to unmanageable and unrealistic levels.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I usually set a price (and in my mind I have a bottom line where it doesn't make sense for me to invest the time)...then qualify my quote with, "I am willing to work within a reasonable budget. What's your budget?"

If it's just me doing the work, I have a reasonable idea of how long it will take me to do a project and how much I am worth per hour. The math is easy.

If I get low-balled, I just refused.

Most of the time I am able to ask, "What's your budget?" before I get asked, "How much do you charge?"
Post 8 • IP   flag post
29377 8 8
destitute