BillBelew.com
Content CreationInfluencer Marketing

Have You Ever Exercised Influence Peddling?1388

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have a good friend who lies. That's a different topic for a different thread.

He does reviews of products without saying he was paid to do so.

I have talked with him ... but he is who he is.

It's called influence peddling. When you use your influence to make money without making it clear that you are doing so or not having a genuine loyalty to the product or service.

Do you know anyone who uses their influence for, um, questionable reasons?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
I am trying to remember if I have ever reviewed a product, received something for free and offered up a review without letting readers know ... and am coming up blank. Whew!

How about you?

Are you always transparent when offering reviews?

Do you know of sites that are not? No names, plz.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
notyourmomscloset private msg quote post Address this user
I personally cannot give a review if I don't know (for a fact) that what I'm saying about a product/service is true. Sooner or later I think it comes back to haunt somewhere down the line.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@notyourmomscloset

What if you were looking offered $400?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
It is tempting, but I think it always bites a person in the heels sooner or later. That would be particularly true with something a person would digest - pep drinks, weight loss, etc., etc.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
So what is the best thing to do? Normally, I write review of certain stuffs that is useful.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
My guess practically anyone who has written a book is guilty of this practice. All those kind words on the back cover? All bought and paid for.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I agree with you morrnel...and in the front with all the little endorsements. I would then read at least enough spots throughout the book to get a sense of how the book reads. But, it is a lot of hype for selling a book.

Thinking about hyping products, it's mostly those products sold for weight loss, keep your diabetes A1C down, etc. They can be (and usually are) expensive and they hit a nerve with people who will try anything to make them feel better. I am both a diabetic and could use a few pounds off. We cannot, however, afford to just willy-nilly buy everything that comes along and how will this affect our health? Other than the reality of results, will it interact with Rx Meds, etc. People who write reviews without firsthand, clearly stated proof of what it did for them because they never even tasted it can do a lot of harm.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
As we speak, I'm watching the news and they are doing a story about fake reviews. Amazon is trying to crack down on them.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

How do you know they are bought and paid for? I never heard of that.

I have heard, I'll write a blurb for you if you'll write one for me.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@notyourmomscloset

Speaking of fake reviews... how about fake businesses. I revived this old thread on how somebody created a fake business online.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@notyourmomscloset

Did someone say pounds off? I lost 45 lbs between March and August of this year. And have kept them off... even lost a few more.

8-)
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Congratulations!! That's a huge loss!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@belew read an article about the topic a while back.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
MLHarris private msg quote post Address this user
My ex writes reviews all the time and gets paid for it. Not very often will he do it for free.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Does he make it clear he is being paid to write the review
Post 16 • IP   flag post
24928 16 16
destitute