BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksContent CreationFeedbackLinkedIn

Why You Don't Build on another's Platform1447

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have never created a group on LinkedIn...or Facebook.

It never seemed wise to me to build on another's platform ... or on a bigger level, to depend on a 3rd party for your livelihood... think try to figure out what Google, or Facebook, or Twitter or anybody else is going to do next.

About the time you get things 'figured out' you can almost predict that they will change...but not know how they'll change.

I just saw this thread title at LinkedIn.

"These new changes to LinkiedIn (sic) Groups are not just community Managers' worst nightmare, they are group participants' worst nightmare, and spammers' sweetest dreams."

And ...there is not squat that she can do about it.

Build it (whatever 'it' is) on your self-hosted platform. Then it belongs to you.

To be sure you can get more, do more, reach farther sometimes when doing it 'over there'...until they change the rules.

Been there and had it done to me.

Has it happened to you?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Ok let me ask the obvious question, aren't you building this forum on a platform you don't own or control rather than a self-hosted solution?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I do own thus forum. I pay for the hosting...the same as I pay to have my sites hosted in some dark room in Arizona.

If I had the wherewithal to build my own server farm...I would.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew not the same as a website which you can download and move to any host... this platform is built on someone elses real estate... that you lease by paying for it.

In early 2000 and something, I set up a company selling email letterheads ... we designed and sold literally millions of these things to companies all around the world. I had over 3000 people around the world actively selling them and business was booming....

Low and behold, Microsoft made changes and the business we had build was no more... because we built our whole business on someone elses platform.

That was a very expensive lesson.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Hmm...you are smarter than I abt these things. But if it came to that I think I could move the whole forum elsewhere. I dunno. I hope I don't have to.

If I really wanted to be independent in addition to my own server farm I would need my own Internet cable company, too. Right?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Numerous times I have done well on search only to see things change. I reckon I'd better get my own search engine, too.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I wrote for an online news service for a while. I broke their pay scale.

In one month I made more than their other 10000 writers combined.

They changed their pay structure and that was that.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew you're not one of those really smart people are you, that can sit on a toffee and tell someone else what flavor it is... <rant over>

If you can download and move your forum then you are indeed in control... if its platform specific as I suspect, then you are building your forum empire on someone else's real estate and paying for the privilege.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
What @Steve said. You are always building on someone else's platform.

Ok, I'm really gone now. See ya.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

A true conundrum - my forum (not yet active) is a paid plugin on my website, so hopefully I own it.

As for linkedin, I have a group and with the rule changes, I am being spammed left and right, so I will likely shut it down. I would rather have people playing where I somewhat control it.

Just like Twitter - they own the follows - and I have been shut down before because they thought I was promoting a business. Go figure. Begging is the only way I got it back.

Lessons learned, take your followers and get them to your website and list....fun and games
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I am with you. On your site. Until your hosting company goes belly up.

There is no way to be completely independent online....or is there?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
What is the best solution?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
Prime example is Squidoo. I have seen lots of people who have build a kingdom of lenses... turns out their kingdom was a sand castle kingdom. A series of Google Panda waves slapped the site. Their pages were locked down when Squidoo was on the verge of closing down. They sold out to Hubpages.

(Quick history, there was a great lens purge where almost 50% of lenses were closed down in a frantic and clumsy effort to clean up low quality pages, then surviving lenses were redirected to Hubpages when they sold out.)

Those exact people have been fixing their pages to cater to Hubpages rules and now Hubpages have been purging pages again. Some people will never learn.

I was on Squidoo once. I had around 150 lenses in there, earned quite a livable income there, too... then poof, it was gone... nothing I can control.

If there is one thing I learn, it is that if it not your site, never entrust all your income in them.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like we just celebrated Veterans Day, and it's already Thanksgiving.

One of the lessons I'm thankful to have learned in my 10 years of service is that there's no such thing as "no risk" - only "risk management."

Sure, you can "minimize risk" or "reduce the chance" of something bad happening.

But it comes down to only 2 things really in your control - choosing what lessens the impact on your life and preparing options for when the s$#% hits the fan.

Everything else is an illusion.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@KitK

This is another good, er, bad example of what I mean. Thanks for the confirmation.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

The best way to keep things from going wrong is to not do anything. But that would be wrong, too.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I'm learning to do it step by step.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
26104 17 17
destitute