BillBelew.com
Content CreationPaid Search

Most Overrated Marketing Tactic1452

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What is the most overrated marketing tactic?

There is one marketing effort that seems globally overrated = people everywhere think that it's given more credit than it deserves.

I think the problem might NOT be PPC, but that people don't know how to do it... much like they don't know how to blog or create content or act in social networks.

Most anything will work if you have enough money/time, smarts and stay with it long enough.

What's your experience with PPC?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
From my experience... and I am not a PPC guy, PPC is viewed as a cost center, conversions are poorly tracked, and the Conversion to ROI relationship is not understood very well.

SMB's see it as something they need to invest in for a several reasons:

1) They have been doing it all along and gotten into the habit of paying for it;

2) They see their competition doing it and have interpreted their success with them running paid campaigns;

3) They see it as an opportunity to expend little effort in obtaining visibility (and they know that sometimes this works);

4) They cave into the pressure of outside influence and heavy handed sales practices that prey on ignorance (when being solicited by agencies);

5) Than there's the self-initiated/self-educated who test the waters and experiment;

6) They see it as their only way to break out and not just one of many marketing tactics.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
This was taken from Gleanster Research's: State of Co-op and MDF. I have noticed that the statistics are also similar to SMB's not operating in an indirect or channel relationship.

Post 3 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

But what if you met someone who opened up their dashboard and showed you dozens of actual case studies and niches where they made PPC work?

Would that matter to you?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew It would matter for them and it would matter to me that it worked for them. From my experience I have seen many cases where this hasn't worked- of course since I managed A LOT of SEO clients a lot of these businesses were torched and decidedly moved to the organic side. I see the qualities of BOTH but also know of the 100+ ways it can be a sinkhole for marketing dollars.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

I am with you re: sinkhole.

There are several problems with PPC...

1. When you stop paying ... the leads stop.
2. When you stop paying/take a break ... you have to start over but not from where you left off.
3. There is no residual.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Surely the figures work better for some industries rather than others? Women spend a lot of time online browsing through websites looking at products like clothes, food, accessories etc that they desire. Whether they buy or not is another matter. It's electronic window shopping in a sense. Many women are not financially independent so they don't have the power to purchase there and then on the spot. We all know Facebook, for example, shows ads based on age, gender and other factors. There are many women online "window shopping" this would affect the results for some industries rather than others.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Performance aside... the above graph is what marketers think about the performance or lack of.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Dashboards don't show PPC work... they show you clicks... its very rare to find a dashboard that shows the actual revenue generated... and even when you have this information it is often used wrongly in that people take the cost of the advertising away from the sales revenue and wow... we've made money ... no you've now got to take all of your other costs out... and in most cases PPC delivers poor results, and is often only done to stop competitors closing sales.

there are of course exceptions.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Steve

These guys live nearby...been in the Valley longer than I.

They have created their own proprietary software and dashbosrd.

The real test is how much the client spent and how much did they sell...and is the client happy enough to stay engaged = keep giving them money.

And they have. They turn away clients that they cannot make money for.

They still recognize the inherent drawbacks of PPC.

We have found a way to generate cash flow more quickly for SOME niches while we build a long term organic solution.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member LizG private msg quote post Address this user
Google Analytics eCommerce tracking shows you direct revenue, assisted revenue, first click revenue, and as long as you use UTM tracking on your URLs - it will show you this data across all marketing channels. I have never had an issue measuring gross revenue for eCommerce stores, and most stores I manage PPC for average 700% return on ad spend. The question usually comes down to industry. Apparel, in my opinion, is the most difficult to make profitable with PPC, including social. Maximizing PPC spend is most difficult for industries dominated by repeat purchases, like cosmetics and skin care. This is where remarketing is the best choice for closing sales and reaching customers 60-90 days after they first purchase. I personally don't have a most overrated channel, I think they all serve their purpose and work together intrinsically to drive sales.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@LizG

Finding that right balance is the challenge.

Have you found the balance of attack that works best for you?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member LizG private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Yes, for the most part. Working for an agency, a client only has so many hours in a month. Usually I only handle paid search, or SEO, or occasionally both - so I don't have to have personal responsibility over every marketing channel.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
28242 13 13
destitute