BillBelew.com
Content MarketingTeaching

Doing Online Marketing Business in China1453

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Curious to know if anybody has experience or interest in online marketing in the middle kingdom.

I have been approached twice in the past 3 months about partnering with someone in China to create courses there that can be offered in English or with sub-titles, or dubbed and marketed to the Chinese.

Does anybody have any experience doing business in China?

Wanna share?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I have a Chinese publisher for my books and the only dealings I had were to write a chapter on WeChat as an addition to the book. The transfer of money was the biggest issue. Just you really need one of these).to get my advance took over 6 months and then they took Chinese income Tax off plus a handling fee.

So watch how you will be compensated and who your Chinese agent will be (
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Was it worthwhile in the end?

I have a Chinese wife and Chinese in-laws. We can require they pay us in RMB and direct deposit it into a Chinese bank.

From there we can figure out how to get it here.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
The easiest way is bank xfer depending on limits. That's how I get paid when I do training there.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - besides being an accomplished concert pianist, a friend of mine started an equestrian website. I know that he bounces back and forth between here and the mainland. This was actually a good excuse for me to ping him and see what he's been up to..
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Great! Look forward to learning from him.

Wouldn't we all like to have someone we can learn from or share with about our experiences?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Of course it is worthwhile, you just have to learn patience
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Glad to hear it was worthwhile.

I learned long ago to not take such things for granted.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
And the whole create a course in China discussion for me ... been happening on WeChat.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
At the class I taught in Jiao Tong there was an older German couple....older being a relative term, of course. 50s maybe.

They were enrolled in the class because they felt they were missing out on the whole social media thing.

It got me to wondering. I know there are a lot of people online. But I also wonder who is NOT online yet...and is there a market there still?

I think I read earlier this year that some 60% of companies in California still do NOT have Web sites.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I am not surprised that many businesses do not have websites. The online world may seem crowded but in reality there is a long way to go. As I walk down town, the number of places here all seem to have a website until you hit the small entrepreneur or the home based business. Then the stats fall off.

So how would you reach these non-online businesses? Is it back to sMail or other type of promotion? Are we back to Live events that are advertised in the remaining newspapers, posters at the library or the local coffee shop. I understand you can still knock on doors and get business.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I'd pull off announcements from companies that I find on bulletin boards.

I get the very small local paper and flip to the ads section. Call those people up and tell them there is a better way.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust - I can tell you what doesn't work. Trying to sell to people who don't "get it."

Why doesn't the frog get out of the boiling water? Because it hasn't noticed pot getting hotter and hotter.

Ran into this with trying to explain why business owners need to plan for their exits.

Then, as recent as last year, I walked into a restaurant where I literally showed them how I could not find them with basics like Yelp, Google maps, etc. - standing right inside their location.

Too often the marketers sell these folks things they don't need 'cause they don't know any better. Companies like Yext or even the Yellow Pages sell them stuff that doesn't really serve them.

I know, because I get the same telemarketing calls. By the time I've gotten to a lot of these folks, they're jaded and don't even want to talk about spending another cent.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Jaded is indeed the word.

I find that no matter how much truth I tell or actual results I can demonstrate, listeners can't get past the part where they have been burned... spent the wad and got nothing to show for it.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew - as much as writers hate cliches, there's a reason why they exist.

"Once bitten, twice shy" comes to mind..

At the same time that's why content marketing and speaking are so powerful - both are platforms where you demonstrate your authority and earn credibility.

It's also why I've gone all in on Blab, as a way to do many things at once - speak, share expertise, create content (video, podcast, blog,) & engage.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

More and more ppl are swearing by Blab.

If there were one platform that is better than all the others, everyone would be there.

Pick a platform and make it work for you.

Dog it until you succeed at it.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba, Trying to sell to people who don't "get it."? You just need to talk in their language.

I was once approached by a marketing guy. He tried to explain his concept. I stopped him. I asked him to explain it to me like a 12 year-old. He refused.

Why did I make this request? That is the age level of most printed material and practically anyone can understand it, even executives.

The fact he refused told me he is not serious about providing a service and he had no respect for me.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@bdaoust, getting money in and out of China is easy. You just need to know the system. No agents either.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@morrnel There's always a way ...
Post 19 • IP   flag post
25044 19 19
destitute